Anybody tried the mirena IUD? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody tried the mirena IUD? Anybody tried the mirena IUD?

Unread 03-29-2013, 06:38 AM
Anybody tried the mirena IUD?

I have a Mirena now and am getting it removed. The first several months were pure hell. I bled a lot and had horrible cramping. Not to mention the fact that getting it put in was hands down the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life, and the gynecologist gave me nothing for it. But then things settled out. I had occasional, light periods, I had spotting and discharge at random times and ruined a LOT of gorgeous underwear, and I had occasional cramping. Now I've had it for 3 years, and I'm having longer, heavier, more frequent periods that pop up at unpredictable times. And I cramp horribly throughout the month. My gynecologist cut the strings too short, so my new gynecologist will have to put me to sleep to get the IUD out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Re: anybody tried the mirena IUD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixienoir View Post
I have a Mirena now and am getting it removed. The first several months were pure hell. I bled a lot and had horrible cramping. Not to mention the fact that getting it put in was hands down the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life, and the gynecologist gave me nothing for it. But then things settled out. I had occasional, light periods, I had spotting and discharge at random times and ruined a LOT of gorgeous underwear, and I had occasional cramping. Now I've had it for 3 years, and I'm having longer, heavier, more frequent periods that pop up at unpredictable times. And I cramp horribly throughout the month. My gynecologist cut the strings too short, so my new gynecologist will have to put me to sleep to get the IUD out.

I hear you on the insertion being the worst pain ever. Not even a cervical and uterine biopsy hurt as badly as having an IUD inserted in me. I will never have that done again.
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:14 PM

I had a mirena, after I was told by my former neurologist that I should never be on hormones because the hormones can interfere with my anti-seizure meds. My former ob/gyn said her daughter has epilepsy and takes the pill, is on the same meds as me, with no problems. I figured I'd try it, because it supposedly would help the fibroids and it would help the suspected endo. She really didn't want to do diagnostic surgery to see if I had endo or a hysterectomy at 39. I got the mirena, continued to have horrible pain, got a second opinion. In addition to telling me mirena was useless for fibroids, my new ob/gyn was surprised the former doc gave it to me with the contraindicated epilepsy. It was removed along with everything except my left ovary 3 weeks ago and I'm doing great! Glad I got a second opinion, and I wish I had listened to my gut when I didn't feel right about the iud to begin with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel1231 View Post
I had a mirena, after I was told by my former neurologist that I should never be on hormones because the hormones can interfere with my anti-seizure meds. My former ob/gyn said her daughter has epilepsy and takes the pill, is on the same meds as me, with no problems. I figured I'd try it, because it supposedly would help the fibroids and it would help the suspected endo. She really didn't want to do diagnostic surgery to see if I had endo or a hysterectomy at 39. I got the mirena, continued to have horrible pain, got a second opinion. In addition to telling me mirena was useless for fibroids, my new ob/gyn was surprised the former doc gave it to me with the contraindicated epilepsy. It was removed along with everything except my left ovary 3 weeks ago and I'm doing great! Glad I got a second opinion, and I wish I had listened to my gut when I didn't feel right about the iud to begin with.
That's a major problem i have with any type of birth control. If you take seizure medicine, especially the "old school" types like Tegretol, Depakote, Dialantin, etc", the hormones in these pills, shots, IUD, and patch are hardly effective. My primary doctor told me this when I was still having lots of trouble with heavy prolonged periods and ovarian cysts, despite having tried numerous hormonal birth control products to stop this. The primary doc told me that I should have never been on them in the first place, because it was useless when taking Tegretol for seizures. I plan on explaining this to my gyno in 2 weeks when I go in for a consult on getting a hysterectomy.

Jessie
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:55 PM

I tried Mirena and bled almost every day during the nine months I had it. I also still had my full blown period every month and I never noticed a change.
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:58 AM

I've had the Mire a for almost four years. First six months were a roller coaster, but then things calmed down. Haven't had any bleeding since then, and have been overall quite happy with it. Was not uncomfortable getting it put in and haven't had any discomfort after the initial six months this. I think it bought me some time before the hysterectomy, though it hasn't gotten rid of the endometriosis I am glad I tried it, and glad my doctor encouraged me to try it for longer when I wanted it out at three months.
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM

I had the Mirena IUD and my body expelled it. Then I had another one implanted and that one was expelled too! Didn't work well for me but it does for some women. Good luck either way.
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amondopondo View Post
I had the Mirena IUD and my body expelled it. Then I had another one implanted and that one was expelled too! Didn't work well for me but it does for some women. Good luck either way.
That's what i had happen. My body expelled it two weeks after I had it first inserted. After that, I decided not to have another one put in. It was just too painful to have it done all over again.
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:51 PM

I have the Mirena IUD. Had it inserted around two months ago under general anaesthesia, whilst they were doing a hysteroscopy and D&C. I haven't had any trouble with it and have yet to have an actual period, just spotting. Unfortunately, the D&C found cancer, so I'm ending up with a hysterectomy after all, but its good for me having the hormones while I wait several months for surgery (its considered a treatment of sorts).
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:16 PM

I had the mirena IUD placed a couple of times. The first time it lasted the five years and released it self. Last year I had another one placed and it did not take. The doctor had to remove it. He decided to place another using an ultrasound to guide him due to my fibroid. I think that one lasted about 5 months. When the IUD was staying where it should.....it worked wonders. I did have headaches for a few months but it was worth stopping all the bleeding. If that fibroid didn't cause the IUD to release I would probably still have it today.

The gyn did want me to do the ablation first but,I was not comfortable with that procedure knowing my fibroid was in the way. He understood and I had a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy on March 28th.

Good Luck with your decision....make sure you explain how you are feeling to your gyn.

Dizzy21

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register