Upcoming hysterectomy 4/25 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 4/25 Upcoming hysterectomy 4/25

Unread 04-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 4/25

Have mine scheduled for 4/25 was originally gonna be a tubal and ablation but they have decided to take uterus l, cervix and tubes due to bad paps over and over and this time finding cancerous cells and family history of cervical cancer.. they have originally told me about two weeks recovery time but just had a friend that just had the same procedure and is 4 week post and still not allowed back to work for at least another 2 weeks then light duty.. how long was it y’all were off before going back to work and a normal life??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2018, 02:16 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 4/25

Are you having your surgery done laparoscopically, vaginally or abdominally? Laparoscopic and vaginal surgeries typically have faster recoveries. Also, how much physical activity does your job involve? That makes a huge difference as to when you can return.

I had an abdominal hysterectomy and was able to return to a part-time desk job at four weeks with restrictions on lifting. All restrictions were cleared at six weeks, with instructions to start off cautiously and work up gradually. My body was back to normal in terms of what it could do at eight weeks, except for some minor abdominal swelling that lasted another month.
Unread 04-09-2018, 02:32 PM

I think 2 weeks is pretty optimistic for any of the surgeries. It is MAJOR surgery and takes time to heal internally as there is a lot of internal work done. I would say 4 weeks minimum; if your job and time off will allow it, then 6 weeks is really the norm. I went back at 5, and I have a desk job and everything went well for me. I had an total (that means uterus+cervix) abdominal (that means a belly cut) hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2018, 03:46 PM

I was off work for 6 weeks but cleared of all restrictions at week 4 so I spent the last two weeks off work adding more activities and more time on my feet and sitting at my table to get ready for work.

The type of surgery will definitely impact your timeline but also how you personally heal.

Im at almost 9 weeks and I’m back to regular activities like before surgery. I’ve been slowing adding volume in running, swimming and yoga since week 6. I go to work, walk the dogs twice a day, get my workout in. I can lift heavier objects (still not lifting a lot at the gym - but mostly being careful - I’ve had no issues)
Unread 04-10-2018, 05:40 PM

I have mine scheduled for the 16th. I asked my Dr how much time I should take off and she asked what I do for work. I work part-time doing accounting so I sit. She told me 2 weeks. I'm hoping I don't need more than that. I'm having everything taken out except one ovary. It'll be 2/3 laparoscopic and the rest vaginal.
Unread 04-10-2018, 07:43 PM

Hi Abriann to HysterSisters!

Having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY. No matter the type, you sill have much internal healing to do. You still need to think in terms of weeks and not days. Recovery is different for everyone, but here is some general information on Hysterectomy Recovery Time. You will also be doing many brief but frequent walks, as these help you heal.

I had open abdominal total hysterectomy with 6-inch vertical incision. I went back to work after 3 weeks to a moderate stress, scientific desk job. But, I could only handle part time work for another 4 weeks. After that I slowly moved back into my life. I am a power walker, and it took me about 8 months before I could do my normal speed and distance. (And, I was walking all through recovery slowly building my endurance.) Stamina-wise, it took about 8 months before I had my normal day-to-day life, and about one year before I really did not even think about my surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register