To Post-LSH ladies, Cervix question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To Post-LSH ladies, Cervix question To Post-LSH ladies, Cervix question

Unread 01-08-2007, 08:29 PM
To Post-LSH ladies, Cervix question

I had pretty much decided on the LSH and discussed with my doc. He agreed I'm a good candidate for this, but once in a while I hear about risks of Cervical Cancer. The risks for this are pretty slim, right? I keep hearing that they're learning it's caused by a virus and even this afternoon I heard there's a vaccine for it. Have any LSH ladies been concerned about this before surgery and how did you decide on your final decision? I'm still set on my LSH decision, but every once in a while, I do wonder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2007, 08:55 PM

Hi whtdove3!

If you are leery about keeping your cervix, you might want to take a look at the following article about a recent study which explains that there is essentially no scientific data to show that retaining one's cervix is beneficial:

Total Versus Sub-Total Hysterectomy

If anecdotal reports are important and potentially reassuring and/or influential to you, I hope that some members who had LSH's will be along soon to share their personal comments about their surgical choices.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 01-09-2007, 12:18 PM

Hi Whtdove3,

I had a LSH and I am still very pleased with my surgery results - 3 yrs on.

I decided to keep my cervix since in pre-op, my Dr. felt the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. On the cervical cancer question, my Dr. told me it runs in approx. 3% of women or less. Also, after being on Hyster Sisters, I read that of that 3% - the majority have a HPV beforehand. I did not have a HPV at the time of my hyst so reading that on Hyster Sisters after my LSH help to reassure me of my decision to keep my cervix.

Here is a Hyster Sisters link on the cervix:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_96911.htm

and a Hyster Sisters thread on the cervix, from last year, that I saved. Very informative.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=245041

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2007, 01:58 PM

Thanks so very much to you both. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. You've help reassure me of my decision. I'll still ask the surgeon about a HPV test, just to be on the safe side, but I'd assume he's already thought of that.

I love this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bless you ladies!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-09-2007, 02:22 PM

I had LSH BSO on 12-28 and Dr left the very bottom of my cervix for pelvic support. I was concerned about fibroid re-developing and attaching to what was left and Dr assured me she's never had any patients have that happen. She also discussed the low cervix cancer rate and my family has had very little cancer.

If you can have LSH - go for it !! I've had very little pain, more discomfort than pain and healing very quickly. I've been shopping several times since, very little restrictions except heavy lifting and fell very good. Even went to the Colts game on Saturday and tailgated for several hours before the game. Did sit for a while in my chair. Only real problem was constipation even through I drank lots of water, ate fruit, etc. Finally took Dulcolax laxatives a couple of times. Walking really helps and applesauce and canned/fresh spinach helps a lot.
Unread 01-10-2007, 08:28 AM

My only problem was a single fibroid and I like the idea of keeping surgery as minimal and simple as possible, so I kept my ovaries, tubes, and cervix. Actually that was my doc's preference too so the question never really came up. My cervix was cauterized during the procedure and there were no internal stitches.

Most cervical cancer is caused by the papilloma virus. Just because a person carries the virus (which many do) does not mean it will ever develop into cervical cancer. If it should develop into cancer, cervical cancer is very slow to appear and spread and is easily stopped. The only people who die from it are people that get no screening.

Most docs will want to take your cervix if you have ever had an abnormal pap smear or any dysplasia. My pap smears have always been normal and I am 25+ years monogamous (papilloma is an STD), so I don't worry about cervical cancer.
Unread 01-15-2007, 07:05 PM
This will give you another thing to think about...

whtdove3,
I will be coming up on my 1 year anniversary February 20th from LSH surgery. I feel great and have never regretted my decision. I kept a part of my cervix and my doctor gave me the same reason as historylady did--it helps with pelvic support. I haven't had any side effects from keeping that small part of my cervix (my dr. says its just the outer edge) and I had my first pap this past Sept. (still got to have those). The pap was a wee bit more uncomfortable than usual, but nothing that a weinie like me couldn't handle.

I'm a bit unusual as I DID have early cervical cancer about 10 years ago. They did a biopsy to confirm it and then burned the bad cells off with cryosurgery. I've had good paps since. My dr. said because its been a while since I had the cryo and good paps since, that the chances of me getting cervical cancer are about the same as anyone else that keeps their cervix.

I've decided I can't spend all that extra energy thinking about the "what if" and to live my life to the fullest every day. If you're still not sure what to do talk with your doctor or even get another opinion. I know when I was comfortable with my decision and especially confident in my dr. the whole thing went a lot smoother.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 01-15-2007, 07:41 PM

Thanks again ladies, I appreciate your responses. Now I'm just waiting to see the doc Fri. to see if we're still a go on this procedure.

I've learned a lot from everyone here. I really love this site. Bless whoever got this idea!
Unread 01-15-2007, 09:30 PM

Well, one more word of encouragement: if you've had good PAP smears, you should be fine for LSH. You will continue to have to get them, but no big deal, right? I just had LSH on the 9th and like the other Sisters, am healing well and almost painlessly.

Good luck; hope it'll work out as you want!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register