Scheduled dVH/RALH HUNGRY! Clear liquids today for hysterectomy tomorrow, what will I get to eat after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HUNGRY!  Clear liquids today for hysterectomy  tomorrow, what will I get to eat after surgery? HUNGRY! Clear liquids today for hysterectomy tomorrow, what will I get to eat after surgery?

Unread 06-23-2014, 04:37 PM
HUNGRY! Clear liquids today for hysterectomy tomorrow, what will I get to eat after surgery?

I am really getting hungry, so am dreaming of my next meal. What kind of diet will I be on in the hospital after my surgery?

I can't believe the number of questions that I have forgotten to ask the dr.

Thanks again for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Re: HUNGRY! Clear liquids today for surgery tomorrow, what will I get to eat after surgery?

Ha ha, I had the bright idea to go on a clear liquid diet the Tuesday before my Thursday surgery in order to make the bowel prep on Wed go more easily. When I got to my room and the nurse told me I had a clear liquid diet I wanted to cry. She told me to start with some apple juice and crackers and if that went fine I could order a normal dinner. I drank the juice, 2 packages of crackers, 2 pkgs of Lorna Doones and a graham cracker, and they changed me to a regular diet for dinner, although they might as well not have bothered because the food was not that great. For breakfast in the morning I ordered a bagel thinking that there was no way they could mess that up and it was awful! Not sure what they could have done to it!
Unread 06-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Re: HUNGRY! Clear liquids today for surgery tomorrow, what will I get to eat after surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughy16 View Post
Ha ha, I had the bright idea to go on a clear liquid diet the Tuesday before my Thursday surgery in order to make the bowel prep on Wed go more easily. When I got to my room and the nurse told me I had a clear liquid diet I wanted to cry. She told me to start with some apple juice and crackers and if that went fine I could order a normal dinner. I drank the juice, 2 packages of crackers, 2 pkgs of Lorna Doones and a graham cracker, and they changed me to a regular diet for dinner, although they might as well not have bothered because the food was not that great. For breakfast in the morning I ordered a bagel thinking that there was no way they could mess that up and it was awful! Not sure what they could have done to it!
I could just about cry reading this, you gave me hope!!! I will get those simple things down right away so I can get some of that yucky hospital food!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2014, 05:01 PM

I had been fasting since midnight the night before my surgery. Unfortunately I ended up vomiting a few hours after surgery. So I started out with a few digestive biscuits. And to my surprise my dinner meal was ham/pineapple, scalloped potatoes and vegetables. The meal looked great but I had no appetite so I took two bites and that was it Hopefully your meal will be grand.
Unread 06-23-2014, 06:34 PM

I think it depends on the hospital and doctor. I had no food restrictions after my surgery. Sadly, I wasn't very hungry. They delivered me a full dinner though. I think I had a roll and some peppermint tea.
Unread 06-23-2014, 08:37 PM

I had a clear liquid diet when I awoke from surgery (7a.m. surgery, woke up about 11:00 a.m. or so). That evening I was allowed a soft/bland diet which was baked chicken, mashed potatoes, soft cooked veggies, and a milkshake! I wasn't very hungry though. It took a few days for the appetite to return and normally I have no problems in that department!
Unread 06-23-2014, 10:58 PM

The only restriction I had prior to surgery was nothing after midnight the night before. I was brought 'lunch' of hot beef broth, hot coffee, and cherry Italian ice but because the breathing tube had irritated the back of my throat that stuff burned my throat. I was starving so I asked them for something else and I got cherry jello and vanilla ice cream. After I ate that the nurse asked me if I wanted anything else. I asked her for a big juicy hamburger and she said no. I was discharged that afternoon (same day) so when we got home I walked over to the store and got hamburger and had my big juicy burger! My husband had back surgery the following week and after he kept their 'test' of crackers and water down they brought him supper of turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, steamed califlower and carrots, and vanilla pudding. He hadn't had anything to eat for roughly 18 hours so everything was eaten. Then we found out later from the nurse's assistant that they kept a fridge stockpiled with sandwiches so he had a ham and cheese sandwich and a candy bar that I brought up from the vending machine.

~Michele
Unread 06-24-2014, 12:43 AM

I had no restrictions before except he asked once i found out my surgery time to not eat 12 hours before so I ate until 9pm the night before. Just ate regular food. I knew my nerves would clean me out the next morning anyway which they did. My 2 hour surgery took over 3 hours so by the time I woke up it was afternoon. After surgery I had some ginger ale but all I wanted to do was sleep. They brought me jello but it did not agree with me due to the acid. Before the kitchen closed I ordered fruit dish, apples, chocolate pudding and more ginger ale. There was a frig in the room which is where the food was stored. The cold fruit dish was good, the chocolate pudding really was good around 4am and I ate the apple to clean my teeth in the morning.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register