Biopsy prep: awful night! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Biopsy prep: awful night! Biopsy prep: awful night!

Unread 06-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Biopsy prep: awful night!

I'm posting this as I hadn't read about anyone having this issue.

I'm having an endometrial biopsy at 2p and my doctor prescribed misoprostol the night before to soften my cervix and make my procedure easier.

At 1a I woke with horrible gas and cramping that progressed to diarrhea and 'bad day' menstrual type cramps. : At 4a I had some toast and took a percoset which knocked me out for a few hours. Now I'm just woozy and very crampy.

I'd planned to take my daughter to her am doctor's appt and have a nice lunch before heading to mine. Instead I had to ask my hubby to stay home and he has a lot going on at work. I don't think I can drive myself and am now freaking out about the actual biopsy.

I've been lucky to have never needed pain meds until the past year with my fibroids and suspected adenomyosis. I haven't had surgery (except having kids). I'm now worried that I have a low tolerance to pain and am scared about the implications for post op
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Re: Biopsy prep: awful night!

Im so sorry you are feeling so lousy? I did not have to do that and I have mine on Wed? I hope you get some answers and feel better soon!
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:29 AM

Probably the drug is working with your cervix and will make your biopsy easier. I didn't take that drug but had a block and I had no pain. Also I've noticed here experiences vary and you have a good chance of it really not being bad. I'm sorry you aren't feeling good right now. But I figure your Dr is trying to make it less difficult for you so will proceed as gently as possible for you. I'm sending positive thoughts and hugs that you'll have an easy biopsy and feel better. Let us know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2010, 08:09 AM

Thanks guys.... I needed a sympathic ear.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Unread 06-22-2010, 10:46 AM

I had my biopsy on friday during my first appt with a new gyno. I wasn't expecting it and since I had scheduled c-sections for my two kids- it was more painful than if I had help in dialating. I wish I had been given the info that a dialating med might make it easier but I had let another gyn put me off for over a year that I just wanted to take care of things asap when this gyno actually wanted to take action!

Good luck to you and just take it easy- I had lots of cramping and a few sharp pains in the 24hr s after but it wasn't too bad. Feel well!
Unread 06-22-2010, 02:26 PM

I'm back safe and sound. I guess I had the pain early so the biopsy was uneventful. Just a slight pinch/cramping. My doc is head of the gyn dept at a teaching hospital so a nurse in training was in the room. As he prepared to take the sample he showed her the cervix and said 'see, a straight shot'! I guess it is good that I dilated first.

We then sat in his office and I signed a consent form and he told me that my appt will be early AM, he will go in via a small section in my c section scar, I'll be eating solids by end of the day and released the next!! I'm having a SAH so I was prepared for a 2-3 day stay. I guess he must be pretty skilled.

Now I just have to wait for the results, preop on the 7/12 (which is a 2-3 hr appt where I have blood tests, EKG and anethesia consult) and surgery on 7/21.

DH said 'they are making this sound like a big deal' and I told him it was. He proceeded to tell me about his mother that was up and cooking after a week. I told him I would *not* be doing that - I have no need to prove to him that I am a superwoman. He did LOL.

Now that I have more info in hand I'm feeling calm again.
Unread 06-22-2010, 02:56 PM

Wow, my doc did not 1 but 2 endo biopsies with no meds, nothing. It sucked lol I just held my breath and let him get it super quick. My cervix was half crap anyway so I think it was slighly dilated. I know I had spotting and cramps for a week after them. Glad it went ok for you. And if this is dh's mentality now I feel for ya sister!! i hope he gets overhimself lol. Be careful with the solid foods post op~ in my book the first 2-3 weeks after solid meant chicken noodle soup vs broth lol~ you'll thank me later for that one
Unread 06-23-2010, 10:36 AM

Just had mine today and not too bad. I had a LEEP a few years back so there was a lot of scarring and it was a little difficult to get it through, other than some minor cramping it was over fast!
Unread 06-23-2010, 05:57 PM

I'm having mine Friday and doc didn't offer meds prior to. Not sure what he'll give for pain. I have a friend who had Adenomyosis also and she was in so much pain he put her under for even the biopsy.

So, isn't there a "local" they can give prior to the biopsy? If so, I want one!
Unread 06-24-2010, 05:52 PM

Yes there is, I had one---ask for one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register