bending | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-06-2008, 02:33 PM
bending

I had a tvh on dec 14, the doc told me no lifting more than 20lbs but never said anything about bending. Whats with the no bending I read about from everyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2008, 03:20 PM
bending

Hi...for whatever it's worth, nobody cautioned me against bending, either...I only found out about that on this site, weeks after my TAH. I was emptying the dishwasher and doing laundry less than a week after my surgery...whoops. It doesn't seem to have done any harm, though.
Unread 01-06-2008, 04:33 PM
bending

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattys59
I had a tvh on dec 14, the doc told me no lifting more than 20lbs but never said anything about bending. Whats with the no bending I read about from everyone else?
mostly it hurts.. I had a lapararscopic (forgot the initials for the thing!) and when I bend into the washing machine to pick out that sock on the other side, it hurts.. I still cant bend over in the car to pick something up off the floor if it's by my toes, or very much on the floor. It just feels like I'm being squished together. I think that's the main thing.. you are squishing everything together, and causing adhesions possibly where they are supposed to be slippery together instead. So, be the queen bee and let others pick things up for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2008, 04:39 PM
bending

Hi Patty

Tilly is right. Bending can cause adhesions. You have hundreds of internal stitches, and bending could possibly cause them to tear and bleed. When that occurs adhesions will grow. Over time this can be a permanent pain and can even be cause for further surgery. So for the time being relax, let others do the bending and lifting, and take care of yourself so you have a successful recovery and pain-free future. Be well!

Unread 01-06-2008, 05:46 PM
bending

My dr warned me not to bed over unless it was realy needed and at the knees for the first few weeks.
hugs
lisa
Unread 01-06-2008, 07:43 PM
bending

I had no clue I wasn't suppose to bend. I had tah/bso, the hospital didn't even give me a list or discharge instructions. my doc wasn't very happy about that.
What happens if you get adhesions? And... ummm... is it painful? Just wondering, because I do have pain on my right side, my doc thought it was normal, now I'm worried.

THANKS
Unread 01-07-2008, 05:21 AM
bending

Adhesions are essentially scar tissue caused by bleeding. You're much to early in your recovery to say it's caused by adhesions. You will continue to have some aches and pains for a while just as a normal part of recovery. The potential for adhesions is one of the reasons why we encourage pampering the princess for the prescribed amount of time. So keep relaxing, do what your doctor says, and you'll be doing all the right things to ensure that your recovery is the best it can be.
Unread 01-07-2008, 05:45 AM
bending

i've had at least 5 abdominal surgeries and i've never been told not to bend. i've been told to move as much as possible after all my surgeries. obviously, bending 100 times a day is not good, but bending over to pick things up is just part of every day living. i wouldnt worry about it as long as its done in moderation and doesnt cause extreme pain to do it.
Unread 01-07-2008, 08:02 AM
bending

Thanks GoodThoughts, I was getting concerned esp. since I did not get any discharge instructions

Dressed up in blue, thanks! It just occurred to me that I have had 4 abdominal surgeries, i never even thought about it. This one, by far, has been the most difficult. Not necessarily from the surgery, but mostly from other complications grrr

take gentle care and thanks so much for the info!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register