Swelly Belly Questions for Post-Op Sisters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly Belly Questions for Post-Op Sisters Swelly Belly Questions for Post-Op Sisters

Unread 02-13-2001, 10:24 AM
Swelly Belly Questions for Post-Op Sisters

I had a TAH/BSO on 1/29 (two weeks ago yesterday). I also had an abdominal hernia repair (at the belly button). My abdomen is so swollen, but I don't know if it's associated with the hernia repair or hysterectomy.

Swelling starts high in my abdomen and encompasses the entire abdomen. Is the swelly belly associated with the hyster down lower or over the entire abdomen?

I'll have my DR check it out, but just wanted to compare notes.

Thanks.
Ann
Memphis
TAH/BSO Abdominal Hernia Repair
1/29/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2001, 10:31 AM

Hello Ann I had tah/bso 3/22 and abdominal swelling is very normal for hyst. My entire abdomin was swollen - not just incision area. Once the healing completes you'll be back to normal. Healing time varies from woman to woman...but the majority of my swelling was gone by week 8. Seems the more I did the more swelling I had..so spent a lot of time laying around to give my body time to heal on it's own without unnecessary pressure and/or movement on weakened areas.
Unread 02-13-2001, 12:23 PM
Swelly belly

Ann-

Dot's right, swelly belly is very common w/a hyst, but I would imagine that since you've had a hernia, your belly might be going through a double whammy. The swelling from your hyst will go down eventually, but you might want to ask your doctor about the hernia. It seems to me that I recall a friend of a friend had a hernia repair and she still has a little pooch in her tummy. Don't mean to discourage you, hers was done eons ago, hopefully with today's technology, that's not a problem anymore.

God Bless,
Unread 02-13-2001, 01:14 PM
swellybelly

Just wanted you to know that there are others with the same questions. My TAH was four weeks ago yesterday, most of the swelling is down, but still some around the incesion area, There seems to be a lump towards the right side I am unsure should be there. It may be ab muscle, but not sure....so I called. They are seeing me tomorrow. Peace of mind means everything. Best of luck.Keep taking it easy. K
Unread 02-14-2001, 07:13 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did see my surgeon and GYN yesterday, and both felt that my swelling was normal for the surgeries I had.

I also got the "go ahead" to go back to work for a few hours per day beginning Monday 2/19.

Ann
Memphis
TAH/BSO & Abdominal Hernia Repair
1/29/01
Unread 02-15-2001, 07:27 AM

Annh2,
I am one week post now with my TAH due to fibroids. I had very swelly belly in the hospital and everyday it gets a little smaller. 5 years ago I had a hernia repair on the right side and recouping from this surgery brings back such lovely memories of THAT surgery. Very similar in nature, but the TAH entails more. I remember when I had the hernia repair the doctor said in about 1-2 weeks after surgery I would feel like I had a brautwurts inside me. And sure enough!!! I felt like I had a HUGE brautwurts in my incision. Evenentually it went down all the way flat and to this day I cannot feel where the incision was without finding the scar first. So hang in there! I feel for you knowing how the hernia was and NOW how it is to heal from a TAH. Bless your heart for having them both done at the same time.

Kris T.
TAH/fibroids/ 2-8-01

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register