So Many Questions re: My surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So Many Questions re: My surgery So Many Questions re: My surgery

Unread 04-12-2008, 06:52 PM
So Many Questions re: My surgery

Hi Sisters,
Having my uterus abdominally removed April 28th due to severe blood loss (almost bled to death last weekend.) and anemia. So may questions! Been having heavy bleeding but no pain for almost 13 years. Nurse Practioner did nothing but tell me all along that I was normal and now out of nowhere Doctor says I have needed srgery for almost 10 years! My house burnt down last May and I am only home 7 weeks and now this! I asked if I could wait until after our housewarming in July and he said no, I will have bled to death by then. UGH.
I keep getting so many conflicting stories, so many people trying to feed me advise, I am both so scared and confused!
I'm 43. Doctor says I am just losing my uterus that it is HUGE as well as riddled with fibroids. He promises me I will be able to have sex again 7-10 days afterward. This is VERY important to me. Thoughts?
Many have told me recovery for work and everyday life is about a week. Major work and lifting about 3-6 weeks. (Doctor says a week for everyday but heavy lifting is 3 weeks) Thoughts?
Doctor seems to think this will be super easy and I will recover fast. I am very weak and dizzy since the blood loss last week but am on Iron and eating better and trying to get a little exercise everyday. I am shocked at how wiped I am at the end of the day, though. Course, I go non-stop and need to remind myself that Rome wasn't built in a day.
Doctor says my uterus is so big that I will most likely lose between 15-35 llbs with surgery. Anyone else experience this? I don't eat much, am fairly active, yet I have watched my belly grow every year and now I look 4 months pregnant. Its very frustrating.
Regarding my iron level: I'm dizzy and having trouble holding conversations. Can't remember simple words. Not sleeping well, and food just doesn't interest me. Anyone else have this happening? I'm exhausted.
Here's the biggest worry: When I had my tubal ligation 13 years ago I had the worst pain in my chest, I thought I was dying! I was told it is because they fill your abdomen with gas and its a side effect. It was awful and I never want to experience it again! Today, at a party, someone told me when they had their uterus removed, 8 years ago, she had that chest pain happen. I am petrified to go through it again. Anyone?
And finally. My husband booked a 3 days cruise to the Bahamas for me to recover 10 days after surgery. Thoughts? Some people say go for it, others freak ad say NO! I will be bringing up ALL of these things with my doctor on Monday, but its the weekend and I am an impatient child. Thank you all so so much! I love this site, you are all so helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2008, 07:38 PM

First of all Welcome. I would strongly caution you to read as much as you can on this Board. Read it carefully.

I find it shocking that your Dr. told you some of these things. You are having a abdominal hysterectomy and your Dr. told you that you can have sex 7-10 days thereafter? Recovery is a week? You will lose 15 - 35 lbs. with surgery? You want to go on a cruise 10 days after surgery?

You are having a major operation. If you do not allow your body to heal properaly you could be setting yourself up for a lifetime of medical issues.

What ever you decide to do please make sure you are properly informed and prepared. A hysterectomy is a major operation.

Good luck to you and please keep asking questions.
Unread 04-12-2008, 07:40 PM

Hi Jacquie1964,

I had a hyst for fibroids also. It is still one of the best things I ever did for my long term health and my quality of life.

Did your Dr. tell you what type of hyst you are having?? It sounds like a lot of things to do in immediate post op with an abdominal hyst??

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2008, 07:42 PM

Hello! to Hyster Sisters!

I hope you will enjoy spending time here in the company of so many who can relate. This is a great place for support and information.

It's good that you will discuss all of your concerns with your doctor. That's the best person to tell you whether or not you can go on that cruise. I know I wouldn't have felt up to it at 10 days post-op. I also wasn't cleared for intercourse or any type of sexual activity following my abdominal hysterectomy until the six week mark. I think 7 - 10 days would be awfully soon as your vaginal cuff (the top of the vagina stitched closed after the uterus and cervix are removed) may not be fully healed at that point. You run the risk of tearing out the stitches and also could be at risk for infection. Doctor's orders do vary but if you are released that early for sex, please be very cautious so as not to cause injury that could set back your recovery.

I didn't experience any chest pain following my surgery. No gas was used to inflate my abdomen so it wasn't a factor. I hope you don't experience the chest pains again. That sounds scary!

I didn't lose any weight when my 12 week size uterus with fibroids was removed but I'm sure that's not the case for everyone.

In addition to using this message board, I think you will find the information in this link very helpful as you prepare for your surgery and recovery: Pre-Op Page.

Good luck to you!

s
Unread 04-12-2008, 07:53 PM
why then?

Is my Doctor being so cavalier about my surgery? Is it truly no big deal as he says or is he just saying that to keep me calm about the surgery? Now I am so upset and confused. He told me 7-10 days for sex. He said 3 tiny inscisions and removal of my uterus. He says I will be outpatient even though it is overnight. Said only stitches on my belly. What is going on?
Unread 04-12-2008, 08:05 PM

Everyne recovers at a different rate, but please don't feel like it's something you need to be rushed to do. Only you will know how you feel. Although time in the Bahamas sounds relaxing, traveling requires more strength than you may have 10 days post op. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy, and I made it clear to everyone at the beginning that I was taking 7 weeks to recover, no matter how "well" I seemed to be. I eased my way back into activities slowly. At 10 days, I wasn't doing much more than folding laundry!! I started cooking a little at 2 weeks, driving at 4, very gentle sex at 5 weeks (with the OK from the DR), and returned to work at a little over 7 weeks.

Please take good care of yourself!!!
Unread 04-12-2008, 08:06 PM

Hi Jacquie1964,

We ladies are not here to upset you ..but to help you.

You just *clarified* it. You are having a less invasive hyst...sounds like a LSH, the surgery type I had or a DaVinci Robotic. Your post-op recovery schedule you listed sounded more like information for a less invasive hyst.

You originally said you were having an abdominal surgery...which generally can have a 6-8 weeks recovery time. So...that is where the confusion started.

Sending best wishes again~

Mary
Unread 04-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Re: my post

Sorry about the confusion. I still don't know the lingo. All I know is the doc says three teensy cuts on my abdomen so I assumed it was abdominal.

I plan on being in a severe vegetation state for the first ten days after surgery. That will be so so difficult as I am type A and my husband (UGH) and 16 year old son are total slobs and think I am silly to want a brand-spanking-new house to stay that way for more than a week. The fire made me a neat freak and I am so upset that I know they will slop it up by day 2. I am going to have my best friend, a fellow Type A come in and check on "me" everyday after work and make sure my house stays at least functional. (The day I almost bled to death I came home from the ER and ended up making dinner! God help me) I am pre-cooking and freezing meals and shopping in triplicate so that hubby doesn't have to go out for so much as milk. I will have my 24 yr old daughter help too.

I will do ANYTHING To recover quickly. Sleep the first week away to spend a few days on the beach. Taking a cruise so I will just do what I want. Sleep, lay on deck, eat. Hubby offered to push me in a wheel chair. Its the BF I will miss!!! (no snickers, I am sure others are in the same situation!)
Unread 04-12-2008, 08:24 PM

Make sure you get all the information from your doctor. Call his office and have him call you back to repeat it to you, if need be. Do your research. If you don't feel comfortable with the information your doctor is providing to you, get a second opinion. This is your health and well being. Make an informed decision about what you need to do, but from the sounds of it you need to make that decision soon based on the current problems at hand.

Everyone recovers at their own speed and some of that is dependent on the type of surgery they have. I can't imagine packing and traveling to a destination that soon after having a major organ removed, but you may recover quickly and be able to travel without a problem.

I am 10 days post-op and just did my first partial load of laundry. I don't cook (not that I did before anyway) and I am doing absolutely nothing that would be considered extensive. I lifted my laptop for the first time today. Up until now it was on a laptop cart with wheels. And, personally, I think my recovery has been one of the easiest ones I've seen from our group.

You have dealt with a lot already. Maybe you could have your husband help you with some of the information gathering, especially from your doctor's office. Having someone else there to interpret the information is sometimes very helpful when you are having trouble focusing.

We do wish you the best and we will be out here to answer what questions we can. I can tell you that I do not regret my surgery one bit. I would have had so many more problems without it.

Take care...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register