Upcoming hysterectomy: Compare your Energy pre-op vs post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Compare your Energy pre-op vs post-op Upcoming hysterectomy: Compare your Energy pre-op vs post-op

Unread 06-29-2016, 09:29 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Compare your Energy pre-op vs post-op

I'm 45 and feeling a lot more tired than I have in the past. I'm wondering if or when I will be able to go all day without feeling like I should sleep several hours in the afternoon. I always try to push through the day but sometimes have to lay down and sleep. What have others experienced who have been exhausted before surgery once they recovered from surgery? My hysterectomy is a little over a month away and I waver on whether I'm making the right decision but feel it is time. I'm hoping for improvement in my energy levels as well as no more flooding period episodes every month. So, how did your energy levels change pre-op vs post-op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2016, 05:52 AM

Hi! I had mine due to a large ovarian tumor so I didn't have the horrendous periods and such. But I did have crushing fatigue, bloating and pain when I twisted, stretched or breathed in deeply.

I'm now a little over 7 weeks out. After the actual recovery from major surgery I feel GREAT! I find myself smiling when I do something as small as taking a deep breath. I can bend all the way over without pain. I just feel 100% better.

One thing is the fatigue. I still get pooped out after doing too much. But that is from the surgery and it's getting better and better. Also.....abdominal swelling. That too is from the surgery. I start out in the morning ok and by the end of a work day my waist is 2 1/2 inches bigger. But its down again the next morning. I've read on hear that this can last for quite awhile so I just wear loose dresses and plan to ice my stomach at the end of the day.

I hope yours goes well and you feel great after recovery!
Unread 06-30-2016, 06:08 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Compare your Energy pre-op vs post-op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meece View Post
I'm 45 and feeling a lot more tired than I have in the past. I'm wondering if or when I will be able to go all day without feeling like I should sleep several hours in the afternoon. I always try to push through the day but sometimes have to lay down and sleep. What have others experienced who have been exhausted before surgery once they recovered from surgery? My hysterectomy is a little over a month away and I waver on whether I'm making the right decision but feel it is time. I'm hoping for improvement in my energy levels as well as no more flooding period episodes every month. So, how did your energy levels change pre-op vs post-op?
and great question. I'm 54 and have never been "high energy", preferring to go to bed at 9:30pm and waking up after 8-9 hours in my later years. I'm in awe of women who can stay up 11pm or later and still get up at 6:30 in the morning. As I've gotten older, I've noticed that around 2pm/3pm I feel a post lunch crash, and for a while got into the habit of an afternoon cup of coffee. Prior to surgery, I worked out regularly - running and weight lifting, so I know I was boosting my metabolism. It contributed to more restful sleep, but I still didn't have the energy of a 20- or 30-something year old woman. My iron's fine, but I don't know if I was low in other minerals beforehand. Caveat: I'm just at 6 weeks post-op and have not fully recovered. Since surgery, I've got the will to want to do more, I just don't want to go from 0-60 and do internal damage. My sleep patterns have not changed, and I still get tired around 2-3pm post lunch.

I'm wondering if you've got something else going on, like low iron levels (if you're bleeding heavily), hormonal changes, thyroid issues, blood sugar, etc.? This article on post-op fatigue gives some insight on what can fatigue you right after surgery, but that last section gives a few things that could contribute to fatigue other than surgery Fighting Fatigue After Hysterectomy. It's worth talking to your doctor to find out what might be contributing to your fatigue.

Best wishes for a successful surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2016, 08:25 AM

Hello,

Prior to my hysterectomy I had the flooding periods. At that time I was anemic and on iron pills. My iron levels were in constant upheaval. I felt exerted(shortness of breath, fast heart rate, body drag) on my usual 30 minute walk. It seemed like my energy and mental stamina were simply not there. Anemia was taking a toll on my body and my outlook.

My surgery and recovery were uneventful. My surgeon had me remain on iron supplements 6 months. I found with the anemia gone my energy levels returned. I can now exercise easily and get tasks done.

Once you have your surgery take the time to recover and heal. Good luck and cheers to a new beginning.
Unread 06-30-2016, 08:49 AM

Now I've never been a work-out freak or anything like that. I walk my neighborhood or the mall, or take my trio of pups to the dog park or go out to the park with the kids for a picnic or something like that, but by the time September 2015 came around, I was miserable. I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything. I felt tired and lazy and in the beginning I couldn't figure it out. Bleeding nearly every single day unless I were taking 2-3 birth control pills a day just to keep from bleeding had my hormones in an uproar! My skin was breaking out horribly and my attitude was horrible. I was a grouch bee-otch every day!

I am now 9 days post surgery and I really feel good! I no longer ave the bloating and heavy feeling, and I feel energized! I want to go out and walk and do the things I used to do, I just have to pace myself. Right now I am sitting at my desk at work! Can you believe it? 4 days post op I even went out to the mall! The shower that morning wore me out, but I was determined to get out and walk. I took it slow and wasn't trying to speed walk or race anyone, but I enjoyed myself.

This hysterectomy was a tough decision, but it was the best decision I have made for myself in a really long time. I'm enjoying this recovery and my new body along with my new outlook on life. Just listen to your body post-op. It will give you all the signals you need, and there is no shame in saying that you are tired. Good luck with everything. Trust me, you'll thank yourself when it's all over.
Unread 07-02-2016, 11:20 PM

I am so scared of the recovery time. I am a teacher and due to rescheduling my surgery 3 times this summer, by the dr... I will not have but just 4 weeks before I have to be back at work, 5 weeks till kids come back, but I am so afraid that I will just not have the energy to perform my job the way that I am expected to.... But your post gives me hope. Thank you!
Unread 07-03-2016, 05:15 AM

I had fibroids and frequent bleeding that wasn't super heavy. Before surgery I was bone crushingly tired and could barely do anything.

Even in recovery right after, i felt better. I am a couple if months out and feel sooooo much bettter.

I had a bso, so i am working out ( walking and swimming quite a bit). I am a teacher too and my only regret is not doing it sooner.
Unread 07-03-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwamer View Post
I am so scared of the recovery time. I am a teacher and due to rescheduling my surgery 3 times this summer, by the dr... I will not have but just 4 weeks before I have to be back at work, 5 weeks till kids come back, but I am so afraid that I will just not have the energy to perform my job the way that I am expected to.... But your post gives me hope. Thank you!
Hi Cwarmer... I saw your post elsewhere and responded there about recovery time, driving and going back to work. Recovery is not a one size fits all, and it's not something we can rush. I think you scheduled your surgery the best you could, and while physically you might need some assistance by then, you might find you're up to the task mentally.
Unread 07-03-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwamer View Post
It sounds like a great opportunity to put some classroom helpers to work! So you don't over do it, you could have helpers carry the stacks of papers from the copier or pass out textbooks or any other heavy lifting. Assign jobs or take volunteers OR even reward them with small treats for helping out.You could have a whole new way of running the room and keeping yourself on the path to healing. Kids love to help and if you simply say "I had a surgery/procedure that is almost healed, but I could use some helpers" most would be willing to help. You also don't have to remain on your feet the entire day. Allow yourself a little time in a chair during class if you're still tired - without feeling guilty. The more you take care to heal right from the beginning, the better you'll do! Being a teacher, I'm sure you have read up on all of that though! Best of luck on your recovery and for a great class of students!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register