I'm new | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-18-2004, 09:47 AM
I'm new

Hi,
I am 39 years old and have just been diagnosed with complex hyperplasia w/atypia. My dr. has recommended a hysterectomy. I am waiting for a phone call from the scheduler to find out when the surgery will be. I assume that I will have an opportunity to talk to the dr. about the choices I have (i.e., what type of surgery, ovaries, cervix removed, etc). I am scared, but even more terrified that if I don't do anything it will turn into cancer.

I am new to posting, and sharing my feelings for that matter. However, it is a HUGE comfort to know that this site is here, and I have support.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2004, 12:24 PM
I'm new

I'm sorry to hear that you need surgery . The ladies here are great and you will find lots of info on the site.

The doctor probably with either talk to you on the phone or set up an appt to talk about your surgery. If not try contacting them. Good luck.
Unread 02-18-2004, 01:44 PM
I'm new

Hi there, I know how you feel. I am new to this also, and find a HUGE comfort in being able to "talk" with people who are going through the same thing we are. I just received my surgery date yesterday, well, they changed my date yesterday. I am 36, severe endo., fixed uter. tumerous ovaries. I am still praying for the test results to come back clean. But, I know I will be fine. And so will you. Thank goodness in this day and age they have the technology to help us! Please accept my ""HHUUGG"" and I will be thinking of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2004, 01:49 PM
I'm new

I am curious, was this diagnosed via a PAP? Have you had biopsies? I ask because it makes a difference what routes are available to you. Me, I go in for a hyst with CIS or stage 0 cancer because they were unable to locate the affected area with various biopsies. I will be checking until I leave for the hospital and will give you my thoughts according to your response.

The more information you give in your post, the better we can answer your questions. Try not to stress too much, we are here to help answer your questions and give support!
Unread 02-18-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm new

LindaSue

I had a vaginal ultrasound done due to abnormal periods all my life, and then one very lengthy, very heavy (5 weeks, 6-7 pads per day) period in December/January.

After the ultrasound, the dr. did a D&C and hysterscopy due to large polyps and thick uterine wall. The pathology report came back as complex hyperplasia w/atypia Stage 4.

I am 39 years old, have one 16-year old son, have never used birth control with only one pregnancy I have been telling my husband for years that the "baby making factory" has malfunctioned and closed, so I am not upset with having a hysterectomy from that point of view.

I am nervous about after effects of having my uterus removed.
Unread 02-18-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm new

From everything I have read, you will be quite tired and most likely will have gas and consripation which water, walking, and over the counter remedies are suppose to help. Folks seem to hit a wall around week three and then you progress again.

Most have no complications. If you keep your ovaries you should feel about the same from a hormonal standpoint although they have been known to "go to sleep" during surgery (doc says it is due to the limited blood during surgery) so you may have some menopausal symptoms that will go away until real menopause hits.

Most seem to find that sex is better especially if there was extensive bleeding and pain before. Just take it slow when you start up again and don't have any intercourse until you are cleared by the doc (usually 6-8 weeks), but feel free to have some fun.

Be ready for abdominal swelling (swelly belly) especially if you overdo. I guess some look pregnant.

I think on the pre-op page somewhere there is a list of dos and don'ts for friends and family and hints for LIW.

Hope I didn't misspeak earlier, unintentional. I though maybe you had a pre-cancer diagnosis via PAP. And I hope what I have written helped a little. I will be able to tell you more once I get home after my hyst.

Don't stress too much. I understand that once it is over it is not so bad and is a great relief.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register