Some of my fears w/less than a week to go... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Some of my fears w/less than a week to go... Some of my fears w/less than a week to go...

Unread 02-17-2004, 12:30 PM
Some of my fears w/less than a week to go...

I am freaking out (but some days not really) but sometimes I think I should be freaking out. I guess my biggest fear (besides the surgery and the pain and all that hospital stuff - I've only stayed in the hospital overnight once and that was for a baby!) is that I'll still feel like crap when it's all said and done. I've felt bad pretty much most of the time for so many years now I'm beginning to think it's something else that's wrong with me and not my uterus. I know I'm subliminally trying to talk myself out of the surgery (again!) but I wonder sometimes if why I'm in so much pain is more than a hysterectomy. Guess we'll have to see.
Thank for your replies, IT HELPS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2004, 12:45 PM

It is very normal to have the fears and concerns you mention!!! It is hard, not knowing what you will feel like afterwards! I will tell you, that though everyone is differant, my pain was very well controlled at the hospital and at home. I am 4 1/2 months post-hyst and I feel better than I had in years!!!! I am very satisfied with the results of my surgery!!! If you are questioning the need for the surgery, perhaps another opinion or two , would help you to know what is best for you and if you have exhausted all options!!! A hysterectomy is MAJOR surgery, no matter how it is done! It does take time to recover, for some, it can take up to a full year before they are back at 100%. What you need to remember is, where you are right now is not 100% or else you and your doctor would not have agreed to this surgery!!!

If you are having doubts/second thoughts, know that is normal, but if you have genuine concerns that it may not all be problems that will be resolved by doing a hysterectomy, perhaps you need to go in and see your doctor and discuss these concerns or get another opinion!!! ONLY you know how your body is feeling!!!

Best of luck to you!!!
's,
Ronda
Unread 02-17-2004, 12:55 PM

Hi there beethoe I know exactly how you are feeling because I had to have a long heart to heart with myself days before my surgery due to fear. I had a 4th degree prolapse and could not possibly live like that another day but still had thoughts of cancelling. Trust me when I say that the anxiety prior to surgery and the boredom after is much worse than the surgery itself. The morning of my surgery (3 1/2 weeks ago) I simply turned myself over to the surgeon and nursing staff believing that they knew what they were doing. I had wonderful care and have only good memories of the whole castle deal. The pain is controlled be meds and they were very good about letting me judge the pain level and asking for meds.

Try to keep your mind off the actual surgery and you will feel more at peace. Keep your mind busy with little tasks you need to do before going in. I cooked alot of meals and froze them which came in very handy once I was home. My last day of work prior to surgery I cried off and on all day and if I could take it back I would.

As for the pain I experienced.....I can promise you that one of my most horrid periods caused alot more pain than I have felt since surgery. As I said before BOREDOM is my worst problem right now. And always remember that you are not alone.....we all felt this way and we are here for you.

When is your surgery scheduled for?

Hugs
Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2004, 01:56 PM

My surgery is scheduled for 2/23 - next Monday @ o'dark thirty! 24 years after my son was born! My 15 year old daughter reminded me last nite that more than a dozen different doctors all from different schools of thought have recommended a hysterectomy to me, beginning more than 10 years ago. I have postponed this for so long, it's just that I'm a baby when it comes to "not having control", being put under and being unable to do things for myself (single mom and all). Work is very stressful too as they seem to think that because I'm going to be gone that I'm on some sort of luxury vacation rather than going into surgery. My oldest daughter will be with me for the first week but my youngest daughter is concerned about having to catch a bus to school early in the morning. My boyfriend is clueless and not worth trying to explain all this too, I'm not in touch with any of my relatives. This is the only place where I can find some sympathy and other women who understand where I'm coming from. I've searched high and low for years for the answer to why this is happening to me, and I know someday I'll be better for it. It's just that I really would like to take the rest of this week off and go home and relax and get some tea and sympathy. Thanks!
Unread 02-18-2004, 01:28 PM

You know .. the lack of control -- letting it all go and putting it in someone else's hands was one of the hardest things for me. And you know what? Those hands were better at taking care of it all than mine. And somehow, this al empowered me. Made me stronger, made me realize I *can* endure. I let people do for me. My husband was a saint, from putting my dry oatmeal and raisins out in a cup by the microwave for me every morning to helping me into the shower. My doctor was amazing. The nurses on the floor were angels -- every one of them -- and when I had to go back in 2 weeks later due to a bacterial infection, they put me on the same floor and it was like being taken care of by relatives.

You'll come out of this a stronger and wiser woman. I'm almost thankful I had this done.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register