Pre-Op Question? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Question? Pre-Op Question?

Unread 02-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Pre-Op Question?

I just wanted to note that I was not allowed to eat prior to my pre-op appointment...so each physician is different. Be sure to note what your doctor allows and be ready for that particular prep. It was a breeze either way and I was happy to have it done and get on with that surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Pre-Op Question?

Pre-op workup:
blood work checks for how well your blood clots, pregnancy, level of hemeglobin, electrolytes, all sorts of things that indicate how well you are and what docs. need to anticipate.

EKG = electro cardio gram It takes a reading of the electrical conduction of your heart muscle. Very easy, takes about 5 min. and doesn't hurt. They put 6 sticky patches on you that have what look like snaps on them. Hook those up to wires that feed into a machine that reads and prints out a graph.

Urinalysis = may be used to test for pregnancy but also to make sure your kidneys are functioning well and there are no urinary tract infections.

Chest Xray is probably least likely unless you smoke or have any other lung issues they want to check on.

Hope this helps.
Unread 02-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Pre-Op Question?

I had my pre-op today. Mostly- its a lot of information gathering. Because I have so many drug allergies, I have a sheet prepared that lists the allergy and reaction. I just took that sheet and expanded it to include all medications, dosages, when taken, all supplements, previous surgeries and hospitalizations (and any complications) and current medical conditions. If you have the time to do this, I highly recommend it. It saves your having to repeat the information 100 times and gives them something to follow. The nurses were very happy to have it.

Labs: blood, urine. And yes, I had 6 tubes of blood taken from me....so IF you can eat, do.

I had an EKG but did not need the chest x-ray.

To speed up things- have all your questions prepared as well. And, if your significant other can be there, great- you'll have a back-up for what you may forget.

I was a little nervous- but it was a snap. And, I'd guess all in all- it took about 2 hours. But, I saw my doctor too, and many pre-ops don't include that.

Thanks and goooooddddddd luck!
Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2007, 10:01 PM
pre op

I am 50, I had blood work, ekg, and chest x-ray. I have never had heart problems nor have I smoked. I was never asked any questions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register