Scheduling Surgical Team - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduling Surgical Team Scheduling Surgical Team

Unread 10-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Scheduling Surgical Team

Your hospital sounds awful and I would - if you have anywhere near a similar experience again - let your hospital's Chief Nursing Officer and Chief Executive Officer know. Remember, you're a customer and you get to refer others to their place or away from it. Remind them that you'll be happy to share your opinon with anyone who seeks it, including your surgeon. That will make them nervous. At the end of the day, the docs do control the hospital - even if the administrators don't want to admit it. You get a surgeon angry and it will make changes happen. (Even though I sound like a horrible pot-stirrer, I truly believe that every patient has a right to the upmost dignity.)

On the other side, when you have your pre-operative counseling, I would ask if you could a) be wheeled into surgery (there's no reason to have you walk into an OR room); b) that you be given a gown to change into and c) that you be put to sleep in the pre-op holding area as you suffer from anxiety. Your anesthesiologist should hear this and when he/she comes in to do your anesthesia interview, I would share it with him/her.

Aside from the modesty, which I agree is a huge issue and you have every right to have your wishes respected, it's also darned cold in the OR. Twice, the OR nurses brought me a heated blanket to keep me warm and I was only waiting 20 minutes before I went back to surgery.

Finally, when you are in surgery, your face is usually mostly covered and completely unrecognizeable. In fact, the only area of your body that is exposed is the surgical site. That is for infection control purposes. Therefore, if it's any consolation, no one will be connecting your face to your nude body.

I was lucky. I chose my surgeon, first assist and anesthesiologist (all men and actually ranging from acquaintences to good friends), but I chose them for their skill. My anesthesiologist was also fantastic. He asked me if I wanted something "to make me happy now" or wait. At first, I said wait. About five minutes later, he came back to check on me and I said I'd take him up on the offer. He pulled it out of his pocket and said that's why he was back.

Good luck. And if these health care providers - most of whom are wonderfully kind, care and empathetic people - are half of who I think they are, you will be in wonderful hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Scheduling Surgical Team

Holy Smokes! Guess I'll have to write down some more questions for my pre-op appointment. I haven't had surgery before and would have never thought to ask how I would get to the OR. DH has had 2 outpatient procedures and they wheeled him in (after giving him a pill in the prep area).

Unread 10-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Scheduling Surgical Team

I totally agree with you Glad its Over! And yes the OR is cold but thats also for the patients , it helps to keep the bleeding under control if they can lower your temperature. Just use your voice, its the best defense you have against anyone or anything.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register