Transformation Zone??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Transformation Zone??? Transformation Zone???

Unread 06-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Transformation Zone???

Hi there and welcome home to all the sisters who have returned from the castle this week.

I have had a 20 year history of bad paps, dysplasia, several cone biopies, etc. . . My Dr and I have just watched it closely and agreed when it had gone on long enough or when I reached menopause, whichever came first, we would do something about it.
My last pap showed dysplasia and possible high grade lesions. So we did an in office biopsy (I know there is a long term for that but can't remember it right now) and it showed nothing. So, we did an outpatient cone biopsy and D&C. Again it showed nothing. And then my DR said it was time to do the hyst. He was more upset than I've ever seen him and most perplexed and said, It's time. When I asked the nurse "why" when I was setting up the surgery, she said that he was concerned that the cells were higher up and hiding in a transformation zone. Has anyone ever heard that term? I'm having trouble researching it so thought maybe someone else knew about it. My pre op is next week and I plan to ask him then but thought I would find out what I could before then.
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Transformation Zone???

Hi Celebrantgs,

Here is an older Hyster Sisters thread that talks about the transformation zone. Just scroll down. Also, a WebMd link.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...formation+zone

http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide...navbar=hw27576

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks!

Thank you for taking the time to find those for me.

I thought maybe I had some sports complex in my cervix--I have the end zones, the sidelines and the transformation zones?!!
The post and the article were helpful and I did find one other site last night that gave a good description. At least I'll have a working knowledge when I see him.

I just finished a degree that required full dissection Anatomy and Pathology and never heard of a transformation zone. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Transformation Zone???

Hi,Just wanted to wish you the best of luck in your surgery and a speedy recovery.Hopefully nothing else will be found and you can put it all behind you.Sometime's those abnormal cell's can hide(mine did)this way you will be sure and not have to worry any more.Take care.
Unread 06-16-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm amazed

When my doc said "its time" I just said fine and scheduled the surgery. That was the 1st of May and I really haven't thought much about it since then. I've had many surgeries and delivered 2 babies--how hard can this be?
As it gets closer, though, the questions and decisions become a little more real and I really want to be an informed participant with my doc. This site has helped in many ways and, in some ways, has increased my anxiety as I hear some of the not so great stories. But, I know I'm healthy, I have exactly 7 weeks to recoup before I have to travel and I just have to find some peace in the decisions and get 'er done! And I know that there are a bunch of sisters here who have been there, done that with lots of wisdom to share.
You have more time to wait than I do, so I'm sure it isn't any easier!
Unread 06-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Transformation Zone???

You have a great attitude and I am a firm believer that that is half the battle!
Will you do us a favor? once you go to the sites, will you nutshell it for us? I gusess I could go to the sites myself, but Dh just got home...I can't get caught on the computer again!!!
Unread 06-16-2006, 05:53 PM
A brief anatomy lesson

The cervix is covered by two types of cells, squamous cells and endocervical gland cells. The area where the cells change from one type to another is called the transformation zone, this is where squamous metaplasia often occurs. It is also the area where dysplasia often occurs.

So I guess my dr believes that the abnormal cells that showed up on the pap but didn't show up on the 2 biopsies are hidden higher up in the transformation zone. Sneaky little cells. Sounds like something from Harry Potter doesn't it?
Unread 06-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Transformation Zone???

thank you....let me know when he finds the sorcerer's stone!
Unread 06-16-2006, 06:07 PM
That's what I'm afraid of

Maybe that's what's hiding in the spooky transformation zone. Can't wait to see the pathology report. . .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register