Pathology - cancer in uterus | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pathology - cancer in uterus Pathology - cancer in uterus

Unread 04-20-2004, 04:12 AM
Pathology - cancer in uterus

Following my LAVH, & removal of ovaries, last month the path. report stated that cancer was present in the uterus. At this stage my doctor says no further treatment is necessary to treat the cancer. I have my checkup on the 5th May and wonder what questions I should be asking. Many are going around my head but wonder what others asked.
HRT is out of the question to treat menopause symptoms so what have others found helpful.
Otherwise recovery now going okay - just get tired after doing little. Enjoying not having to go to work and being able to do plenty of reading with my free time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 11:26 AM

Dear Tess,
I'm glad to hear that recovery is going well!
One question I would put on your list is,
What was the grade and stage of the cancer you found in
the uterus?
Definitely bring a written list of questions and extra paper so you can write down the answers.

I'm very happy to hear that the doctor says no further treatment is necessary! This indicates that the cancer was caught very early.

What menopause symptoms are you experiencing? I've been extremely lucky with my no-HRT menopause so far.

Night Sweats: We have a fan going on the far side of the bedroom -- initially it was to generate noise to combat DH's tinnitus, but now it has the added benefit of providing air circulation for me when I wake up with the beginnings of a night sweat. I wear layers to bed, so I peel off the top layer and let the cool air blow the heat away from my upper body after I toss off the covers. Of course my body always follows night heat-ups with night chill-downs, so I keep my top layer nearby instead of tossing it across the room. We call it "The Hot-Colds," and just laugh when I tug for more covers after just having thrown them all off me not ten minutes before.
At first, the night sweats were full-blown sweats, where I'd wake up absolutely soaking wet. I kept a cool, moist washcloth in a little baggie next to the bed so that I could wipe myself down. But now my body has learned to wake me up when I first start to heat up, before I get to the sweating part. Usually.

Hot Flashes Mercifully, I have been spared, and have not experienced too many of these. The first two were when I was out in public. I didn't know what they were, and they scared me to death! The first one was at the bar/restaurant we go to a lot. It was my first post-hyst outing (other than visiting relatives at the holidays -- hyst was right before Christmas). I got REALLy dizzy, like near-blackout-dizzy. I thought I had tried to do too much too soon. A wave of extreme heat suffused me, then the dizziness -- DH put cold water on my wrists and helped me to the car and took me home, where I went straight to bed.
The second one was in the same place, while eating dinner. With my fork raised to my mouth, suddenly here came this wave of heat flushing from my chest upward. My face got Bright Red. I put my fork down. My friend brought me a cold cloth, I put my head down on the table (moved the plate of food first! lol!), and I dabbed at my wrists and ankles with the cool water. After about 10 minutes it subsided and I was able to finish my dinner. We (my friend, DH, and I) determined that it and the previous incident were true Hot Flashes.
I'd had 'warm flashes' before, and thought they were "hot flashes." Now, I dress in layers, and the moment I feel a flush of heat starting in the middle of my body, I peel off the top layer of clothing. This cools me off enough to nip the True Hot Flash in the bud. Makes more laundry, but it's worth it!

Emotional Menopausal Symptoms: As I've had major depression for years, I've been on an anti-depressant since 'way before the hyst. I've had a lot of "downs" recently, but I don't think they're menopause-related -- more likely a result of emotional reaction to a series of side-effects I've been hit with.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

What books have you been reading? Right now I'm re-reading The Fionavar Tapestry trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay ("fantasy"). I keep meaning to start or add to a good books thread in another forum, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Love, "empresse"
Unread 04-21-2004, 06:55 AM

Dear (((Tess))) Definitely learn the grade and stage. Also, if your doctor is not a gyn/onc, you may want to get a second opinion from one re follow-up treatment, HRT alternatives, etc. They are the experts in cancer related matters. I wish you well in your recovery and please let us know how you are doing.
s and blessings, peggiesue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register