Activity at six weeks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Activity at six weeks post op Activity at six weeks post op

Unread 12-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Activity at six weeks post op

I am having a tah on December 28th. I clean houses a few days a week. My doctor says i should "bounce back" pretty fast because i am young (31). Am I going to be able to go back to cleaning at around eight weeks , or is this unrealistic? I am trying to plan ahead, which is hard when you dont know how fast you will recover.

Thanks-
Wendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2005, 08:42 PM

I am 32 and just had one. I am 3 weeks out and just got off my major pain meds. Today I made it on Motrin....yeah!
Everyone heals differently but only at 6 weeks are women cleared to even start house chores and some are given added weeks for more healing. I know I would not be cleaning someone else's houses by then...I will lucky to be doing my own and SO FAR I have had no complications but that Swelly Belly will gets ya when you do alot...
I am sure you are trying to let your people know when you can do their homes again (I've done that work before).....I hope you are able to plan good for it!!!
Unread 12-19-2005, 08:51 PM

i am only 5 days from my surgery and i am MUCH older than you....i am feeling great but cannot see myself cleaning house fully in 6 weeks....ask your doc what he will be recommending. by the way, this might be what you need to force you to find a new career. may be a blessing in disguise. find yourself a job that is less labor intensive....from a concerned mom
Unread 12-19-2005, 08:53 PM

Since cleaning is what you do to make money. If I were you, I'd take as much time as possible to rest before going back. I have children, and they helped out a lot with the lifting and such. I was very able to lift and bend. Yet at the end of the day I'd pay for it. It's better to fully recover and heal properly the first time.

I did over do it and ended up seeing my doctor early. After my hard head soften, I let the kids do most of the work.

Peace
Unread 12-19-2005, 09:57 PM

I wish I could predict for you, but I really can't.

You may in fact bounce back (as your doc says) and feel great at 8 weeks. Or you may not... Because of that, I think you should "play it by ear" and see how things go.

I know at 8 weeks I was back at work full time, but I still got so very tired -- and I have a desk job!! I can't imagine going back to a physically demanding job (and you know cleaning is pretty physical) like that so soon.

You might also want to see if you can ease back into your schedule -- maybe a half day, then a full day off, then another half day... I know that sounds awfully gradual, but remember, you aren't allowed to do any housework for 6-8 weeks (lifting, bending, reaching, or running the dreaded ), and I don't think it's realistic to think you can just go back to it all in one day.

There just isn't any way to get around the healing process, and I think the experiences shown on this board show you'll pay for it if you try to do too much, too soon. Just be kind to yourself. Hope this helps!
Unread 12-20-2005, 06:37 AM

Like you, I work in a fairly physical job, and if I don't work, I don't get paid, so getting back to work ASAP was a priority for me. I work only part-time, but was back at 4 weeks post-op with the blessing of my doctor. I am young (33) and in quite good physical shape both before and after my surgery, so that helped I'm sure. I did *nothing* for my four weeks off so that I would not compromise my healing, and worked more slowly than usual for the first few weeks, and had no problems.
Unread 12-20-2005, 08:36 AM

Wendy, we all heal differently. I was able to do my house work at 6wks but not in one hit, over a few days. I am nearly 12wks post op TAH and still pay for it if I over do it like picking up my 4yr old or pushing the pram for too long or shopping trolley. As others have said we only have one chance to heal so please don't push yourself as you will suffer not only for one day but maybe several.
Lilly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register