Adeno & waiting for the "relief" of menopause? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adeno & waiting for the "relief" of menopause? Adeno & waiting for the "relief" of menopause?

Unread 12-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Adeno & waiting for the "relief" of menopause?

Like many of you, my had horrible pain, cramps, bloating, clots, flooding etc. led me to finally decide to have my hyst. It's been almost four weeks now and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. HOWEVER-I do have to warn those of you who had your doctor tell you your troubles are caused by fibroids and that an option to a hyst is abaltion, etc. or to hang on until they shink at menopause, that you may not have fibrioids-you may have adenomyosis! Adenomyosis does not shrink at menopause so if you have it and were told by your doctor that it was fibriods instead,(as mine told me) you'll be ueslessly putting off your hysterectomy as I did for years, testing how much pain you can tolerate until that magic menopause comes. And then-no relief. And if you have adenomyosis, hyst alternatives will not work-you will need a hyst!
I knew something was up when I realized that my mom had a hyst at 75 yrs. old for extreme pain. It was not a huge fibriod-but adenomyosis-which can sometimes be hereditary.
I did not find out I had adeno until my gyno did my surgery. I asked him before surgery if I needed to get any MRI's or whatever so he could better see my mass and he said no.
Later I found out from a friend of mine who runs a huge ob/gyn clinic in New Jersey that they routinely give MRI's before all hysts Although some docs say that an MRI doesn't show much more than an ultrasound, many clinicians feel that someone who is highly trained in reading an MRI can find adeno or other abnormalities using it.
The reason I wanted to share this with you is because if I had an MRI years ago and it showed that I had adenomyosis, I would have had a hyst right then and there and spared myself years of pain instead of chasing this pipe dream of "if only I can hang on till menopause and this fibroid will shrink.." I would have also not checked into all the non-hyst options my doc told me about-thank god i didn't get any of them-they would have been useless!
If you are on the fence about your hyst and are thinking you can wait it out,or are looking at options, try to push for an MRI which can tell you exactly what you're looking out. A lot of doctor's don't order them because of the cost, but many do.
BTW adenomyosis is like endometriosis that grows inside of the muscular walls of your uterus. In other words, instead of a fibroid inside your uterus, it's as if the entire uterus itself becomes a fibroid.
I just wanted to share this with all my pre-op sisters because this site has given me so much amazing information.
Good luck-and if you decide to have a hyst you will not regret it. I didn't realize how much of my life was being taken up with either being on my period, or dreading it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2005, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the insight! It is greatly appreciated by us LIW! I personally go back and forht with my decision almost daily, which I think is normal with any upcoming major surgery. It is wonderful to hear from someone on the other side.
Unread 12-06-2005, 06:12 PM

Another thing to think about for all of you considering this is, I had a fibroid and kept thinking I could wait till menopause. Well, while trying to wait it out, the thing kept growing till it was as big as my head so the doctor describes it. A normal uterous is around 80 grams and mine was 1550 grams. It has gotten so large I then had to have a vertical incision up and over the top of my belly button and even with that they had to take it out in pieces because it was just to big. I could have saved myself some by having it taken out while it was smaller. I was just so scared of it all I was paralized by fear. My fear was worse than the actually having it done. Waiting is the worst. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Read, read, read this site. The more prepare you are, the better you will feel come surgery day because you will know what to expect. I wish everyone the best that is getting ready to go throught with this. I am very glad I had mine done and I am now on the mend with much more room in my abdomin!
Unread 12-07-2005, 08:39 AM

An MRI may pick up the adeno but it requires a good tech/dr to determine that it's adeno not a fibroid or endo. My MRI showed a "mass that could be endo or adeno". My Transvag ultrasound also showed the same thing.
I have no regrets in chosing to have my surgery.

Autumn
Unread 12-07-2005, 03:39 PM

But at least you were lucky enough to get an MRI and be given the possibility of both diagnosis..that way your doc could tell you what both are and what the pronosis is for both conditions..I never even heard the word adenomyosis until after my surgery..
Like you, I am thrilled with my surgery and am only "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" to perhaps help others get a more accurate diagnosis or diagnoses by asking for an MRI if at all possible.
Unread 12-07-2005, 04:19 PM

Binkster - I am right there with you! I was so very fortunate to have a sonogram technician that recognized my adenomyosis. Even with all that I was so tired of feeling bad for so long that I just wanted it taken out. It was funny though, because for two days before my surgery I felt fine and almost thought that I didn't need to do anything right now. I had my LAVH on 12/2 and it has been the best thing I have done for myself! I feel so great and am looking forward to not having those crazy times during the month - whenever it decided to rear its ugly head!
Unread 12-08-2005, 01:38 AM

My adenomyosis wasn't discovered until surgery and doc says it was certainly the cause of the extreme pain. I hadn't even heard of the condition until then. have since looked into it more and so glad I went ahead with hyst.
Unread 12-08-2005, 06:59 AM

I like you and many others I suffered from Adenomyosis, but not anymore. I am 10wks post op and feel great. I unfortunately tried other remedies that only prolonged things until I was so ill, I wish the MRI was offered to me as it would have saved me an extra hospital visit/procedure plus all the excess money I spent on DR's bills, pain relief and pads, not to mention the quality of life I lost. Isn't it wonderful that others can learn from our experiences just as we have learnt from others in the past. Thank you for posting your story.
Lilly
Unread 12-08-2005, 09:58 AM

Binkster, My adenomyosis was diagnosed by the pathology lab after my surgery. It explained for me why I had always had the periods from hell. It was not bothering me prior to my surgery as my periods had stopped. From what I have read about it menopause is usually the cure. Many women are candidates to wait it out, depending on how close they are to meno and how bad their particular case is.
Unread 12-17-2005, 10:39 PM

~binkster, would you mind if I asked your age b/c I was given this diagnosis (adeno). based on size and symptoms and sono. But I never suffered from bad or painful periods until 11 months ago and I thought it was b/c I was getting old (37). My dr said it would go away when meno started. My back hurts non stop. But I decided I would live with the pain and wait it out. What seems to me the consensis on this web site is try every option before hysto. I don't want to so I made up my mind to "Live with it" b/c I'm not up for games try this do that and still end up with a hyter. Thanks to your info when I go for my 6 month check I'm asking a hyster or just wait it out. B/c I don't want to pay for all the possibilities and also pay for the hyster...>Thanks againfor your opinion

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register