Hyster or Not? Decision Time.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyster or Not?  Decision Time.... Hyster or Not? Decision Time....

Unread 01-12-2002, 04:21 PM
Hyster or Not? Decision Time....

I had severe dysplasia 12 years ago. A cone was done and clear margins achieved.

Now, I have a pap with "atypical glandular squamous cells." The colpo came back benign but noted that the glandular cells weren't present so it's inconclusive.

The doctor at first said something about doing an abdominal cone biopsy. Now he says he doesn't think I have enough cervix because of the previous cone, and he wants to do a TAH.

If I had a diagnosis of dysplasia, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. But everything is inconclusive....it's hard to give up an organ over an uncertainty. I have a consult for a second opinion on Monday, and I scheduled for the surgery on Tuesday, but now I'm questioning it all.

And I'm incredibly scared of losing the great sexlife I have now.
I'm especially worried about losing the moisture (apparently some of it comes from the cervix?)

...but of course, I don't want to die, or even get to a full cancer dx!

What do y'all think of this mess I'm in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2002, 04:45 PM

Sounds similar to my stuff. I had problems 14 years ago taken care of with a cone, and was good until about 5 years ago. Then I needed a couple of freezings, but thought I was taken care of. Then about one year ago I had an abnormal PAP that showed AGUS (Atypical Glandular Cells of Undetermined Significance). So we did a colposcopy/biopsy which came back normal. My doc offered me a couple of choices: 1) wait 3 months and re-check or 2) do a LEEP or cone and see what turns up. I asked him to check with the gyn/onc (even though I'd decided to have the LEEP already), and the gyn/onc agreed that that was the safest route. Well, the results from that came back as moderate/severe and I ended up with a TAH, which I don't regret at all. It was very scary, and while I was in the middle of it I kept wondering how all the results could keep coming back so different, but I know I made the right decision.

I just went back to read your post again, and you said you have atypical glandular squamous cells? So did you have both glandular and squamous cells that were atypical? Anyway, I've read a lot about AGUS and the concern about it is that it's hard to capture on PAP and colp because those glandular cells are produced so high up in the cervix (versus squamous cells which are on the outside and the lower internal cervix). So when a PAP turns up AGUS rather than ASCUS, it seems they need to look a little harder.

Good luck with your decision. It's not an easy one to make when there are so many uncertainties, and I'm glad you are getting a second opinion. Let us know what you decide to do!
Unread 01-12-2002, 05:04 PM

Thanks for replying. Glandular cells turn into squamous cells in the transition zone. The pap is atypical glandular.

I'm just wondering about going for an hysterectomy without knowing if it's really dysplasia. I'm hoping for the out that the second opinion doc (gyn-onc) will say that he thinks he CAN do a cone biopsy with whatever I have left. I'd be comfortable with that, and if it came back dysplasic then he could remove the uterus.

What about the sex, ladies? I keep hearing such conflicting reports. Does it get dry even if I keep my ovaries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2002, 05:11 PM

I haven't noticed any difference myself.

I hope they will decide they can do the cone. It sure would be nice for you to have all the info you can get.
Unread 01-14-2002, 05:22 AM

Getting a second opinion is definately a good thing to do! Keep us posted!!
Unread 01-14-2002, 03:17 PM

can you tell me exactly what the squamous cells and the glandular cells are??
Unread 01-14-2002, 04:39 PM

Squamous cells are on the outside, and past your cervix. Your skin is squamous cells. The inside of your body is made up of glandular cells. The endocervical canal is a "transition zone" where the cells change from glandular to squamous.
Unread 01-14-2002, 06:57 PM

I had mild dysplasia after my child was born which was "cured" with no surgery. Well 10 years later, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer at the age of 32. What a nightmare! I had to have a TVH and was scared to death. This sight helped immensely! I am telling you this for the simple reason of hoping to persuade you to not sit on this. Cancer can develop quickly and based on you board, you already have squamous cells. I wish you the best and I will pray you make the right decision for YOU! I am living proof of someone who was "chicken little" about the surgery and living my life to the fullest now ... cancer free!! God Bless and Keep You! :-)
Unread 01-14-2002, 07:31 PM

I MUST AGREE WITH COLEEN! YOU CAN'T SIT ON THIS FOREVER.

CANCER IS NO JOKING MATTER, YOUR SEX LIFE WILL BE FINE.
I'M NOT LYING.

FIRST AND FOREMOST YOU, ARE THE REAL ISSUE HERE.

I HOPE YOU MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION, AGAIN I MUST SAY, YOU CAN'T FOOL AROUND WITH THIS STUFF.
DON'T WAIT TOO LONG PLEASE!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register