Radiation Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Radiation Question Radiation Question

Unread 01-22-2003, 11:53 AM
Radiation Question

Hi all, I've posted here before as someone else. I'm at my mom's house in Oregon, and not at my own computer in Texas. I guess my mind is going, because I can't remember my screen name or pass word at home. Anyway, I had cervical cancer, and had a TAH in October 2002. My 75 year old mom was diagnosed with uterine cancer in December 2002, and had a TAH last Friday (17 January 2003). The path report showed cancer cells in the middle "third" of her uterus, and they are recomending radiation. She is really nervous about it all, and I just thought that if someone out there had been through this, and could give her some words of encourgement and advice, it would really help. I didn't have to have any radiation or chemo, so I can't help her on this one. We have an appointment with the radiologist this afternoon to see what all they sugest, but I know that she would like to hear from real people who have been through this that it is doable, and that she can live through it. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. You all are wonderful!
's to all of you.
By the way, I'm Tena and my mama's name is Esther.
Thanks again! Tena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2003, 01:18 PM
Radiation Question

(((Tena)))

I just want to wish your mom good luck with today's appointment. It's good that you can be with her. I haven't had any experience with radiation but am sure someone will be along soon.

I sent you a PM with what might be your Screen name (no password) just in case you want it, but your mom's screen name works just fine.

's
Unread 01-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Radiation

I had chemo and radiation at the age of 39, ( I just turned 40), My main problem with it was the diarrhea, and bladder woes. I believed that some of the diarrhea was caused by the chemo, ( I had them together, monday chemo, 5 days a week of radiation). Other than what I mentioned above that is all the problems I had. Make sure that she eats well, and takes care of herself.

's and ers to you and your mother.
Unread 01-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Radiation Question

How's the weather in Oregon? It's drab and cold here in Dallas. I had six weeks of radiation and a 36 hr in hospital stint for internal radiation. Please tell your mom that there's absolutely nothing to be afraid of. There's no pain involved with the radiation. I was most bugged by having to lie flat for the initial set-up for radiation perameters. As the weeks went on, I noticed I was more and more fatigued, and required lots of sleep. I'd had trouble with sleeping prior to that, so it was a somewhat welcome change, initially. I developed a urinary track infection that drove me abit crazy, until I finally convinced the drs and received the proper meds. Diarrhea happened, so to speak. Not in the beginning, but as time goes on. The radiation usually increases in strength, and most times I had to hit up the bathroom prior to leaving the clinic. I was lucky that I wasn't working at the time. I drove myself to and from the clinic, visited friends, shopped, and slept alot. My husband was terrific, letting me sleep, taking care of meals, etc. Oh, and I was working on lowering my cholesterol level and went mall walking just about every day after radiation. Please tell your mom that it's going to be allright. Drink lots of pure water (I used to take a gallon container to the mall with me, and a friend that worked in the food court would fill it up with super tasting water - great filtration system - and it was free!) Purchase Immodium to have on hand - the liquid worked better than the pills, in my opinion. Eat lots of fruits and veggies. And equally, if not more important - we must be kind to ourselves when going through these things. I apologize for the length of this post, wanted to give as much info to you for your mom. Feel free to email me. MindyLeigh
Unread 01-22-2003, 05:12 PM
Radiation Question

Tena
I am sorry that your mom's ca was more advanced than anticipated. You can email me and I will tell you what my doc told me about that. If you don't have my email with you just email through hystersister and I will write back. Let me know when you get back and we schedule a breakfast meeting. Chris
Unread 01-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Thank You!

Hi All,
Thanks so much for the info. After talking to the radiolgist yesterday, and listening to what you all had to say, she has pretty much decided that it will be ok. Thank you for the advice. I'll make sure that she has lots of fruits and veggies, and some imodium on hand. Thanks again.
Tena and Esther
Unread 01-23-2003, 01:24 PM
Radiation Question

I forgot to tell you Mindy Leigh that the weather here is great! Lots of sun shine, just a little chilly. Have a great day!! Tena
Unread 01-23-2003, 11:22 PM
radiation

You should do some research before subjecting your mother to radiation. All doctors use radiation routinely, but when I questioned my gyn. oncologist about why--asked for the research to show it helped--he couldn't tell me, only that "we ALWAYS radiate stage 3" My research found one study that showed in stage 1 cancer radiation was contra-indicated. Ask questions...my g-o admitted abdominal radiation can cause irreversible damage to other organs--bowel, bladder, etc....Best of luck to you and your mom...
Unread 01-24-2003, 07:48 AM
So many decisions

I think one reason it is contradicted for a stage 1 ca is because if it is used at that level and a recurrence happens....it can not be used again when it would be needed.
This is such a scary and confusing thing.....there are so many opinions even in the medical community....
How many treatments do they think you will need. Were the lymphnode samples clean.....? What type of tumor did the path show?
Tena you and your mom are in my prayers. Take Care Chris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register