No symptoms. Need I worry? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No symptoms.  Need I worry? No symptoms. Need I worry?

Unread 03-29-2002, 12:38 PM
No symptoms. Need I worry?

Sherry,

I just remembered something in the exam room today. She has a chart that shows the dilation of the cervix during labor. 10 cm looked about the size (diameter) of a large naval orange, maybe even a small grapefruit.

I just looked at a ruler that has inches and cm - 11.5 cm is about 4 1/2 in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 12:44 PM

How does that compare to normal? It seems like I've heard a uterus being pear-shaped? I wonder if that means pear-sized too?

I can't believe I have to wait 2 wks to see my Dr. I'm going to drive myself insane until I get answers! ; )
Unread 03-29-2002, 01:20 PM

I found this at http://www.e-uterus.net/ :
The never pregnant (nulliparous) uterus is a 7-8 cm long to 4-5 cm wide, muscular pear-shaped organ lying in the pelvic cavity on the superior surface of the bladder. The uterus weighs under 50 grams.

Hope this helps. I now know that my 380g uterus was WOW! compared to the 50g.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2002, 02:18 PM

Hi Ladies

Here is what I found in the book: Fibroids: The Complete Guide to Taking Charge of Your Physical, Emotional, and Sexual Well-Being ... "the shape of the uterus is often compared to a small pear turned upside down ... the average uterus is 2 to 4 inches long, 1.5 to 2.5 inches wide and 1 inch thick; it weighs about one-sixth of a pound or 50 grams. If you've ever been pregnant, your uterus may be on the larger end of those dimensions. Now remember, that's the size without fibroids, adenomyosis, polyps, or pregnancy, which rules out most of us right there."

So, converting to centimeters, 2 to 4 inches is about 5 cm to 10 cm, 1.5 to 2.5 inches wide is about 4 cm to 6.5 cm and 1 inch thick is about 2.5 cm. Again, this is for a normal uterus, as described above.

I don't know what the size would be for a 10 week pregnancy ... obviously larger, but I don't know those dimensions and nothing is listed in this book. I hope this helps some!

Beth
Unread 04-02-2002, 08:52 AM
few symptoms

I'm glad I found this post! I've got a large fibroid - last sonogram showed about 20 cm by 11 cm by 8 cm but it certainly doesn't cause the horrific symptoms I've seen in so many other posts! Short periods, no undue pain (maybe I just ignore it, but it's really not bad). Mostly just a very full feeling, and lots of pressure on my bladder and colon especially around ovulation - and everythings sort of swells up real big then, too. I'm planning a hysterectomy in June, but I also feel like a fraud compared to others who are suffering so much! Yet I can't help but feel if this thing continues to grow as it has been, then I'll suddenly be in real trouble one day. I'm 42 years old, no kids, don't plan to have any. I'm sort of in a mental quandry about having the surgery or not having it - my doctor is sort of leaving it up to me! Any advice?

What a great website! I've lurked here for a few months but this is my first post.

Miss Pooh
Unread 04-02-2002, 09:33 AM

Except for a couple of episodes with a period going on forever, my symptoms weren't too bad either. I am 8 weeks post and I feel so much better that I guess things changed so gradually that I got used to the feeling. My sonogram only showed three or four fibroids, one was good sized, my uterus was quite enlarged. It wasn't until pathology that we found out that I had many, many (didn't get a count) fibroids, a ployp, thickened tissue, and the uterus was even larger than expected.

My biggest complaint was having to pee so often, if there was a chance to use a rest room I always took the opportunity.
Unread 04-02-2002, 02:14 PM

I posted at the beginning of this thread. I am now 12 days post op. I too felt a bit of a fraud going into the hyster, but, already I feel so much better. I have lost that hard bloated stomach, have lost 6 kilos and I feel far less fatigued than I have in months.

I guess it's all a case of 'you don't know what you've got until it's gone'.

All the very best to you all.

Diana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register