Can surgery still be done if im on my period ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can surgery still be done if im on my period ? Can surgery still be done if im on my period ?

Unread 11-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Can surgery still be done if im on my period ?

Hi Good luck to you all having surgery tomorrow Im new to this site im having surgery nov.8th im just nervous because im suposed to start my period soon and im wondering if the surgery can still be done if im on my period ? Or will the Dr. reshcedule im haveing my uterous and ovaries removed he did not say anything about my cervix ? I am going to ask Dr. on monday at my app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2011, 04:58 AM
Re: Can surgery still be done if im on my period ?

Yes you can have surgery if you have your period. Same thing happened to me, and many others! Mine wasn't suppose to show up until fir 1 1/2 weeks later (and I was always on schedule) but nope not this time! I think it is mother nature playing one last trick! :-) I was worried too but the nurse told me "Whats the difference you will be bleeding anyway!" Hope this helps, good luck and it won't be long and this will all be done!!! Take care.
Tam
P.S- Having a hyster. was the best thing I ever did!!!
Unread 11-04-2011, 05:06 AM

According to my surgeon, a period doesn't matter. Good luck for the 8th :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2011, 10:30 AM

Thank you So much sisters for your replies one less thing to worry about Hope everyone is having a smooth recovery Lots of Hugs <3
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:47 AM

I got mine when I went in for my last laparoscopy too
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:31 PM

I started my period the morning of my surgery, more than a week before schedule. I guess "aunt Flo" wanted to make herself noticed one last time! Anyway, I mentioned it to my doctor, and he said it didn't matter in the least.
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:14 PM

I was just wondering the same thing. My surgery is scheduled for Nov 11. I am not due for my period for another week and of course here it is. Guess mother nature has to show me one more time what she is about. I am happy that Today was my last day to ever have to buy pads again. Good luck on your surgery.

PS...I am thankful for this site. I don't feel so alone in this now.
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:27 PM

In general, surgery is not postponed for a period. However, some members have posted that their doctor preferred not to do surgery during a period for a few different reasons.

Thus, it is a good idea to check with your own doctor to make sure all is a go!

Personally, I have gone into OR twice while bleeding--one for a lap and one for my hysterectomy. Part of the reason for my surgeries was non-stop bleeding!

Unread 11-05-2011, 09:35 PM

I had nonstop moderate to heavy bleeding for over 4 months when I had my hyst...so I would say yes.
But it cannot hurt to ask your Dr. when you go for your appointment.
Best Wishes!
Unread 11-06-2011, 01:05 AM

yes, the doctor can still do surgery or my doctor did anyway. I started my period the day before my surgery, actually my surgery was a blessing on that next day because when I arrived at the hospital 1hr before the surgery & I soaked 3 hospital gowns before they even took me to the OR. My blood count went from 10.9 to a 8.4 when the surgery was over. But, my surgery was different I guess than most here... it started out to be the 5 little incisions, but ended up being the ab cut. Do to the fact that my Uterus was the size of a Soccer Ball, the doctor also took my Fallopian Tubes, Both Ovaries, and my Cervix. And, once he got in he found Endro everywhere but he assured me that he got it all. But, I am 5 wk Post-Op....having a lot of trouble with the Instant Menopause ......... because I can't take HRT due to the fact I had Breast Cancer @22 yrs old. I am 46 now.. so taking the HRT would be like playing Russian Roulette ~ so I guess when I go back to the doctor tomorrow I will talk to him about what we can do as an alternative to HRT, maybe some natural remedies. But, something has to happen because I feel like I could explode at any moment. All I do is sleep ~ I sleep prbly 18 hrs out of 24. I don't want to leave the house, I don't want friends or family to visit.....I even have stopped going to church because I just don't think my nerves can stand all the interaction with other people. I cry at the drop of a hat, and when I start it last for hours! Has anyone else felt this emotional ? If you have or did, what did you do ........especially if you can't take HRT.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register