Question about DaVinci incisions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about DaVinci incisions Question about DaVinci incisions

Unread 11-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Question about DaVinci incisions

I'm having DaVanci LAVH/BSO in 12 days. My Dr said I will have 5 incisions across my abdomen above the belly button. All the illustrations I've seen have shown the incisions below the belly button. Why would mine be higher up?

Also, I gather that the camera and instruments go into these incisions and he will separate the organs to be removed from other tissue, etc. Then everything is pulled through the vagina (uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes).

He said he is 95% sure he can get the uterus out that way but if not it would be through one of the incisions in my abdomen. I asked how it would fit and he said he could make the incision as big as he needed. But in that case wouldn't it be open surgery...TAH? He never really referred to it that way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Re: Question about DaVinci incisions

Hi!! I had the same procedure and I only have 4 incisions that are about 3/4 of an inch long. One runs vertical right above my bellybutton, one on the left side about 4 or 5 inches away from the center, and on the right side, 2 others......one is even with the bellybutton and the other guy is lower and off to the side more.

Yes, everything is removed thru the vagina. It's ironic that my poor uterus is the only thing to travel that path!! Lol...

The procedure/recovery is painless and easy!!! They covered my incisions with a derma-bond. I still have it on! It helps to heal them up and keeps them sterile. SOOO easy! Just pat them dry after showers and they stay put.

Good luck and don't worry about your incisions! They're tiny!!
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:40 PM

I have 3 incisions and a belly button one.The 2 side ones are about 7 inches from belly button and they are in line with the bottom of my belly button. The 3rd one is about 1 1/2 inches away and even with the top of my belly button...

I know that others have had different areas that there incisions are located. I believe it depends on what needs to be done and the Surgeons preferences.

I would think if he could not go vaginally then it would become an open surgery.
Many have had this happen because the size of the uterus or fibroid...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2011, 01:13 PM

I had the DaVinci surgery and was surprised when I saw that my incisions were above my belly button. I asked my Gyn at my last appt about this and she said they need to go above the belly button otherwise the instruments would be too close to uterus.

If your doctor is not able to pull the organs through the vagina d/t being too large an instrument called a morcellator is used. It actually cuts the tissues into strips and it is then pulled through the tubes in the abdomen. Usually they do not have to open the abdomen.

Talk to your doctor about this before your surgery along with any other questions so you are prepared. It's so helpful to know what may happen during surgery and what your options are.
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:21 PM

I wasn't aware that I might have one literally in the belly button. Why is that? What will go in there?
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:23 PM

Morcellator will not be used because there might be cancer
Unread 11-09-2011, 03:27 PM

[quote=Upper West Side;3615436]I wasn't aware that I might have one literally in the belly button. Why is that? What will go in there?[/QUOTE

No, not "in" the bellybutton, but it's a small incision right above it and ends before it enters it. Mine is about 5mm away from it.
Unread 11-09-2011, 05:31 PM

Mine is IN the belly button, 2 on the right, one about even with my belly button, the other much lower, and one lower on the left. My doc said the belly button one was for the scope/camera.
Unread 11-09-2011, 05:34 PM

what's your belly button like now? How did they close it up?
Unread 11-09-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constanz2 View Post
Mine is IN the belly button, 2 on the right, one about even with my belly button, the other much lower, and one lower on the left. My doc said the belly button one was for the scope/camera.
Do you mean literally IN it? Ouch! Mine is right above it. I didn't do that much research before I had it. I think that was wise! Lol.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register