Vaginal hysterectomy and catheter? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal hysterectomy and catheter? Vaginal hysterectomy and catheter?

Unread 01-19-2006, 01:39 AM
Vaginal hysterectomy and catheter?

I had to have a catheter until the doctor came in the next morning and wrote orders for removal. My scares were in my preop appt. that he said I could go home with one for 5 days so I was thankful to hear those words it could come out. It hurt 20 years ago but this time I didn't feel it and I did get up out of bed to eat that first evening....only thing is I forgot it was in and went to far and it tugged...that was scary since I had a bladder tack and sling done.

You'll be fine...you're just having the fear of the unknown right now like most of us did. Once you get there the anxiety level starts to go down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2006, 05:12 AM

jessica,

good morning! Yes you can walk with one.... But they will take it out soon.... Also maybe he won't even put one in.. some do and some don't...... Do you have all your questions wrote down for your Dr's visit tomorrow? It's a good idea.....
Unread 01-19-2006, 06:51 AM

Hi!My cath came out the very next morning. I was so scared of the feeling because someone had told me it didnt really hurt but was uncomfortable so i was scared to death. I was so happy it came out. I hated that thing but didnt want them to take it out because i as scared. They said to take a deep breath, and i think i had to take 5 or 6 because the girl doing it was new. EEKS! Isnt it nice, i seem to get the 'new' ones with everything. I would be just fine if i never have to have a cath again!!!
Amber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2006, 07:38 AM

I know exactly what you mean. After my c-section, I couldn't have cared less about my pain level....I just wanted that stupid catheter out. It had to stay in til the next morning, and I just kept asking each nurse that came in to PLEASE take the thing out. I had already had my spinal when they put it in, so that wasn't a problem, and when they took it out it wasn't too bad....it was just that uncomfortable feeling of having it in. Yuck. I won't be seeing my doctor tomorrow at my pre-op - do you think one of the nurses or someone else that I will be seeing will have the answer? I thought about calling my ob to ask him, but then decided against it. He's going to do whatever he feels he needs to do, so I might as well just stop worrying about it. I don't want to be a pain by calling and asking silly questions.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I know I had some new nurses with me before and after my c-section, and I was starting to lose my patience at times. I know they have to learn by practice, though, so I tried to just bite my tongue when after 4 tries, the new nurse had to call a more experienced one in to get my iv in. OUCH!!!

Have a good day.
Unread 01-19-2006, 10:51 AM

Hi!
I had LAVH and the nurse took it out the next day.
All the Best,
Laurie
Unread 01-19-2006, 12:27 PM

I had a TVH and the cath came out the following day with the packing.
Unread 01-19-2006, 12:36 PM

ok, I have a giggle...the next day after my LAVH..the nurse kept asking if I needed to pee? After the 2nd time she asked, I said...How exactly is that done with a cath? She blushed & said that she confused me with the other patient who had a hyst. tee hee
Unread 01-19-2006, 12:53 PM

I had vaginal hysterectomy, was on oxygen overnight and catheta came out next day, it wasn't a problem. I actually felt much better than I expected to after the op, it was painful but bearable. I hope yours goes ok.
Unread 01-19-2006, 01:17 PM

I had a TVH and didn't wake up with a catheter either. If they used one during surgery, I never knew about it.
Unread 01-19-2006, 04:24 PM

Thanks everyone, for all of your responses. I know every surgery is different, but it was really nice to hear from all of you. I'm going to cross my fingers that I am one of those who wake up cath-free....if not, I'm going to be a major pain in the a*% to the nurses

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register