Running after hysterectomy (2016) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Running after hysterectomy (2016) Running after hysterectomy (2016)

Unread 07-05-2016, 04:17 PM
Running after hysterectomy (2016)

Hi everyone, I'm new to the group. Have a question for those of you that run. I'm scheduled for a robotic hysterectomy August 18. I just started running 3 years ago and run about 25 miles a week. Running is my release and time to destress. I'm concerned what it will be like post procedure and would love some input and advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Re: Running after hysterectomy

I'm in the same boat as you - although my surgery isn't scheduled yet. I'm very interested to understand how it will be to run post-surgery too.
Unread 08-07-2016, 08:07 PM

I am three weeks post-op and at my two week appointment my Dr gave me the go ahead to start walking for exercise, like power walking. Prior to surgery I was running about three times a week, 1.5 miles each, but I was slowing down and having a hard time due to my health issues. Dr said at four weeks post op I can start walk/jog intervals to ease back in. Walking at a good pace was difficult at first--I was sedentary for two weeks and my hips felt very tight.

But they've loosened up now and I'm looking forward to some jogging! Hopefully it'll be easier than before. I had old surgical adhesions and my legs felt so heavy all the time. I'm hoping that getting those all cleaned out will alleviate those weird symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2016, 07:52 PM

So my first running report--4 weeks I was cleared for jog/walk intervals. I run with my kids on an indoor track, 9 laps is a mile. I alternated walking/jogging laps and did a full 13 laps, but ran 5 of those total. I felt pretty good! I didn't have that "heavy legs" feeling I had prior to surgery, and I was/am a little more sore in my incisions this week, but I don't think I damaged anything internally. Going to do this 3x a week and gradually work up to running two laps at a time.
Unread 08-13-2016, 10:19 PM

That is so great. Glad you are feeling well! Thanks for the input!!
Unread 08-16-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks11119 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to the group. Have a question for those of you that run. I'm scheduled for a robotic hysterectomy August 18. I just started running 3 years ago and run about 25 miles a week. Running is my release and time to destress. I'm concerned what it will be like post procedure and would love some input and advice!
Hi.i am a marathoner. I just had my total vaginal hysterectomy 4 weeks ago today. My Dr. said I can walk all I want, nothing else. By day 7 postop, I walked 5 miles. I gradually built up. I was off narcotic pain meds by day 2, but continued the motrin. By 1.5 weeks, I was off of everything. I now walk 5-6 miles 5 days a week. I cannot run until my 6 week checkup. There was one day I did too much. I have had bladdder spasms and they were worse. I backed off walking and iit went away. I am back walking again. I cannot wait to run. I can say to listen to your doctor and your own body. I am also a RN and know that your body needs the oxygen to heal your wound and insides. Plus, we have blood loss and anesthesia side effects. Don't expect full energy right away. I started feeling normal again around week 3. I am not cleared yet, but doing well I am 48 and doing better than alot based on what I have read. Being fit has helped my recovery. Do not push it either, you want to heal quickly without adhesions. I am walking, but I lift nothing heavy. Good luck to you. My runner friends who had this done are back marathoning and run better after this. That is one reason I decided to go ahead with this.
Unread 08-16-2016, 08:30 AM

Here's a question, would it be feasible to complete (mostly walking) a 10K mid-September, about 10 weeks post op? I had no complications with my surgery, other than my doctor finding bowel adhesions that took an hour to clean up. My son and I registered for it last year, and it's the biggest 10K in my town, the 20th anniversary and I was really looking forward to it. My son said he wants to do it, and I was thinking of mostly walking and running alternately, especially the downhill parts (of which there are many, thankfully). I would love to do it just to show I was able to overcome this disease that was taking running away from me.
Unread 08-16-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcarter1701 View Post
Here's a question, would it be feasible to complete (mostly walking) a 10K mid-September, about 10 weeks post op? I had no complications with my surgery, other than my doctor finding bowel adhesions that took an hour to clean up. My son and I registered for it last year, and it's the biggest 10K in my town, the 20th anniversary and I was really looking forward to it. My son said he wants to do it, and I was thinking of mostly walking and running alternately, especially the downhill parts (of which there are many, thankfully). I would love to do it just to show I was able to overcome this disease that was taking running away from me.
I would say ask your doctor. They need to make sure you are healed. Once healed, I don't see why not. I have my postop on the 29th and I am hopeful to do the Detroit 1/2 in October. I am used to running 50 miles a week though. I am going slow so I don't get injured.
Good luck. Everyone is different. It is hard for sure.
Unread 08-16-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcarter1701 View Post
I'm mainly a 5k-8k runner, though I've done 10ks before. I was given the clear at 4 weeks to start fitness again, but to ramp up slowly. After bounding down a flight of stairs and feeling how much it pulled at 6 weeks... I waited until my 8th to start with 3 min run/walk intervals. First time I got swelly belly and felt pressure all day, but no pain. I'm up to 3 miles with 4/2 intervals at 13 weeks. I know I could walk further and have on family trips. I agree mostly walking should be okay, provided you're healing well. Build up to it.

I'm holding off on my favorite races for now (there are several in Aug/Sept), opting to train solo. I'll be good to go for the next round in Nov/Dec.
Unread 08-16-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandraas View Post
I would say ask your doctor. They need to make sure you are healed. Once healed, I don't see why not. I have my postop on the 29th and I am hopeful to do the Detroit 1/2 in October. I am used to running 50 miles a week though. I am going slow so I don't get injured.
Good luck. Everyone is different. It is hard for sure.
Thanks, I've been cleared to do walk/jog intervals, and have been doing those and it feels pretty good, though i have a few more zingers and twinges the nights after I do a mile of intervals. I basically walk a lap, then run a lap, until I do a mile. On my track 9 laps equals a mile.

The 10K isn't until mid September and I will have my "6 week" appointment (so called because my dr was going out of town the 6th week after my surgery, and then we had a trip planned, so we just scheduled it for after that). My appointment will be more than a week before the 10K. My son is also registered with me, and he said he's happy to just walk it with me if that's what I need to do. I said he could go ahead, since he'll be faster, but he said, "No, we need to stick together." Made me so happy to hear that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register