Have I done it all??!!?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have I done it all??!!?? Have I done it all??!!??

Unread 07-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Have I done it all??!!??

Hi everyone. I am new here. I stayed up all night reading and learning from this site. I wish I would have found you guys a month ago~
It is exactly one week until my TAH! I am a teacher and hope that I will be ready to go back to school. I am going to TRY to be the perfect patient and do EVERYTHING they say!
My bedroom is SUPER clean. I have done that. I plan on doing a really good housecleaning the rest of this week. I have a few shopping trips to make, am getting haircut on Wed., have made a few meals. Am I missing anything? I am going through that "nesting" phase that someone mentioned in another thread.
These are my area of concerns: DH is acting very strange. He has not been able to make it to any DR. appts. I am not sure he realizes what is about to come. I have a feeling he thinks this is going to be just like a C-Sec. We have no family in town...they are about one hour away. My Mil is coming to stay with kids while I am in hospital, but my mom is only available on the weekends. My bf's said that they could stay with me if needed. Should I let bf come stay and then the kids could go to my mom's on the weekend? Is it easier with the kids out of the house? They are three boys, ages 14, 9, and 5. They are capable of doing things mostly for themselves, but very rambunctious! I am soooooo not used to having to depend on ANYONE!
Anyway, I am starting to freak out@! Oh...by the way, with all of this to do this week, I started period yesterday!!! All I really want to do is lay in bed with heating pad right now!
whew......Thanks for the vent. This is the only place I feel like I can be really understood.
OHHH one more question....they are hoping to leave my ovaries, how do you know that everything is working correctly?? I read that they go into shock afterward.
Thanks for the ears.....you all are great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Have I done it all??!!??

Hi Vicky,
I'm also a teacher and I hounded the surgery scheduler to get me an early enough surgery date so I could recover before school starts...

My DH didn't take any days off except my surgery date, and all of our family is on the other side of the country. I have 3 teens & one 11 year old, & I did send the 11 year old to stay w/ my parents for the summer. As for the teens, I worry more when they're in the house, I have to keep getting up and check on them... 16 year old girl with a boyfriend. My most restful times have been when they're gone.

My 2 teen sons have been absolutely useless, I've had to ask them over and over and over to do things, to the extent that I call their father at work. It's like the dog has lost her bite. And my teen daughter can't understand why I'm laying around??!!!!! Oooohh, she'll get hers one day..... She acts like I've asked her to cut off a limb every time I ask her to do something.

Like you, I started my period 1 week before surgery. As disgusted as I was by that, I just kept saying "this is the last one!!!".

I kept my ovaries, and I don't know what the symptoms of shock are for the ovaries. But, most of the women on the boards have mentioned crying during the first 1 - 2 weeks after surgery. I've cried 3 - 4 times, and really let my DH have it on one occassion.

Good luck with your surgery. As bad as it feels afterwards, it's worth the cure.
Unread 07-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Have I done it all??!!??

Try printing out the information here and just leave it lying around in an 'obvious' spot.

http://www.misterhystersisters.com/

There's also a link to videos and pictures of the surgery itself. Teenage boys like to be dared! (I'm mean).

Also, post-surgery, stay in your jammies for as many days as possible so you don't look TOO well, and show off your scar early on with a smile! Apparently THAT shocks a few male brains into reality!

Mine felt ok but looked worse! Good thing I didn't have to use it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Have I done it all??!!??

Vicky~

Your mind seems to be running races around your noggin, much like mine! I am in my final 2 day stretch, anxiously awaiting Wednesday!!!

Seems to me that if your best friend could help out some, it would help you in your recovery! My mom is going to stay here and help with my kiddos for a couple weeks, but my little ones are 2 & 4...

I think if you read around on the site you will see that DH's often don't really say and do quite what we want pertaining to the surgery. Men often like to fix things, and when it comes to our woman problems....Well, they can't do much to help. Hopefully he will come around and offer you the support you need!

I think it finally hit my hubby last night...Neither one of us could sleep and we sat in the dark talking about everything into the wee hours...

Good luck with everything!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register