Should I bring my DH to Pre-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I bring my DH to Pre-op? Should I bring my DH to Pre-op?

Unread 11-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Should I bring my DH to Pre-op?

It's a ways aways (Dec 3) but my husband will have to plan his work schedule around it which he doesn't mind doing if needed. Is it beneficial to have him come? How was it for those that didn't bring their partner - did anyone wish they had?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 08:13 PM

My dh was working that day and said he would take the day off to go with me but I told me to go to work and I got along just fine, I had no greets at all.
All they did was blood work and I spoke with the nurse about the surgery. She gave me a book with all the information in it and underline anything important to me.
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Didn't take my DH either. I asked my questions and wrote the answers down. Went over the info with him later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 08:38 PM

I took my husband to the doctor's pre-op visit. We talked about the surgery, I signed the consent forms, and my husband asked questions about what I would be able to do and not do when I got home. I'm glad he was with me.

He didn't come with me to the hospital pre-admittance testing. There was no need for him to be there.
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:19 PM

My husband went with me. I think it is a good idea to have someone with you. He may have questions too. And it is always good for him to hear "straight up" what you are going to be dealing with as far as limitations and everything else. He can also help you remember things that has been said.
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:20 PM

I have planned from the beginning to bring hubby to pre-op. I'm generally not the best at recall, chances are I wouldn't remember most of what the doc had to say. Hubby will be the one to remind me of questions, as well as to later refer to the pre-op answers.

Heather
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:31 PM

I didn't take my DBF to any of my appointments, but it might have been helpful since he was the one who took care of me immediately afterwards. Whatever you do, be sure to write all your questions down in advance - that way neither of you will forget to ask something. Good luck!
Unread 11-06-2007, 10:19 PM

I was lucky to have my DH at the hospital, let alone the doctor. He never met my doctor beforehand--I was flying solo on this whole thing.

He really freaks out around needles and hospitals in general. In fact, I thought we were going to have to bring him a nurse while we were waiting for me to go in for sugery. He almost passed out just looking at my IV. He's pretty much useless with this kind of stuff....

On the other hand, my mom and kids (21 and 16 y/o) were great! They were joking and laughing, playing "are you smarter than a 5th grader on their phones." I'm sure everyone could tell who was related to whom. My Doctor just shook her head.

My best memory, however, was seeing my husband when they brought me to my room. He was the first face I saw and that really made me feel better immediately!
Unread 11-06-2007, 10:30 PM

All my dh would have done is sit around waiting rooms for me.....

It depends on what tests you're having done, though. And it might be more important if your dh wasn't really "getting it" as far as recovery times, etc. If yours is OK with the whole 6-8 week recovery "deal", it probably isn't as important that he speak with the doctor unless he has specific questions.

to you. Hope this helps.
Unread 11-07-2007, 04:18 PM

The letter I got from my doctor suggested bringing DH along in case he had questions. It worked out well. It was the first time, they'd met. DH liked the doctor and was impressed with his explanation of the procedure and willingness to answer his questions. He left the appt. feeling very reassured that I would be in "good hands".
Rose

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register