Scheduled TAH Should I bring...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I bring...... Should I bring......

Unread 09-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Should I bring......

My laptop to the castle. I bought a netbook and I have a turbo stick to surf the net. I am staying 3-4 days and that is with no complications.
I got my I-pod too, and books. I will rent a TV, I just dont want to be bored, or if I hurt to much somethings to distract me lol. Plus this way I can come here and visit you sisters lol
So do you think it is a good idea? I will be in a private room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Re: Should I bring......

Ive seen women post while they are in thier room. Sounds like a good idea . What do you mean by I will rent a tv?? Is there not tv's already in the room at the hospital??. Just being nosy lol.
Unread 09-24-2009, 04:39 PM

I am taking mine...in fact my hospital has free wi-fi service. I will be going alone, so I asked them about a locker and they will let me lock my stuff up and pin the key to my lovely gown lol =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2009, 04:40 PM

LOL yes there are TV's in the room but you have to rent them to watch them lol, there not cheap either lol
I should ask if they have free wi fi
i have to ask if they have lockers
Unread 09-24-2009, 04:41 PM

I would not bring a laptop. A small cellphone with texting capability, or pda, maybe... but even so I'm betting it'll get limited use.

The first couple of days post surgery, most of us have little to no ability to focus/concentrate on anything. I tried posting from a blackberry the last time I was in the hospital for any length of time, and I don't think anything I wrote made any sense anyway. I couldn't even pay attention long enough to watch a half hour sitcom all the way through. One of my friends brought me a kids' fuzzy board book as a joke - it was the only thing I was able to handle those first couple of days.

Then there's the fact that hospitals aren't liable for your belongings, should they acquire legs...

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-24-2009, 04:47 PM

ok thats funny, the kids book.
I will be bringing my blackberry too.
I will ask and see if they have a place to lock items in my room if they do I wil bring it if not guess just bring my blackberry
ok I am a electronic junkie, need my fix lol
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:37 PM

I was wide awake and bored for the 2 days I was in. I had my laptop and it helped but it wasn't really comfortable to have on my lap. A netbook would be awesome though.
Unread 09-24-2009, 07:20 PM

There is no way I would bring anything of "value" to a hospital or anyplace else where you are sleeping (if not unconscious) much of thetime and unable to monitor it. In fact, the hospital at which I have had two major surgeries has an information pamplet for pre-op patients that specifically states not to bring money, jewelry or any valuables because the hospital staff cannot be responsible for these items. When I have gone for surgery I bring only my medical insurannce ID card which is required, a hairbrush, toothbrush and lipstick. Based on my own experiences, I agree with (((Linda))) that recovering patients from major surgery are usually too "spaced out" to concentrate on much of anything. And when the time comes you aren't...you're sent home.

s,
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:11 PM

I took my laptop and BlackBerry and used them both frequently after my TAH. They stayed right on my bedside tray within easy reach. I wasn't at all worried about anybody stealing them, but then again I didn't sleep very well during my hospitalization and immediately knew anytime someone came into my room.
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:29 PM

I just figured out ( little slow these days lol) that my blackberry is also a MP3 player lol, so I can leave my I Pod home. But one thing I am loving my laptop for is, it gets so warm it acts like a heating pad. I probally wont want it on my belly after, but I might not mind it either lol.
I will wait and see what room I am in and if I feel it wont be safe I will send it home. My hubby is going to be with me 85% of the time too, so will see. Thanks for everyones imput it is great.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register