TVH with a&p repair in 2 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH with a&p repair in 2 weeks TVH with a&p repair in 2 weeks

Unread 12-19-2011, 12:30 PM
TVH with a&p repair in 2 weeks

Hello, I have a mild prolapsed uterus with a cystocele that is severe enough to cause voiding problems and has greatly affected my once physically active lifestyle. My problem is that I have an urge to urinate almost 24/7 and it is so aggravating that I have been on Ambien every night for the past year. If I didn't have it, I would be up several times a night. I do feel better when I wake up after lying down but the problems return. I also have trouble emptying my bladder. I have had 3 vaginal births, am 40 years old, and don't plan on having more children. During my last pregnancy 13 years ago it was obviously clear to see that my uterus was low and this caused me tremendous backaches. During the last year my symptoms have worsened and I was examined by a urogynecologist who prescribed Vesicare, did a pap, pelvic exam, and vaginal ultrasound. He gave me the only option of Laproscopic Hysterectomy with a bladder sling. I felt pressured by him to have this within a little more than a week and I wasn't quite ready. Plus I heard that his patients have a high rate of post op complications due to his technique. I wanted to explore all of my options and make sure I was doing the right thing. I was turned off by his forceful attitude and demeanor. So I sought a second opinion from a more respected gynecologist and he stated that Laproscopic surgery wasn't needed in my case. He could perform a Vaginal Hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair. He doesn't believe in using the mesh material and he could refer me to a urologist if I needed further bladder repair. Of course I would rather get all of my problems resolved with one surgery. Has anyone had this similar situation and how did it turn out? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Re: TVH with a&p repair in 2 weeks

I had a TVH with A&P repairs almost ten years ago, but I had a very severe uterine prolapse as well as a cystocele and rectocele. Why is the second DR proposing a posterior repair if you don't have a rectocele? It is possible to do just a vaginal hyst with anterior repair.

My results were great and I still feel fine almost ten years later, but I am still careful not to lift heavy weights - always a concern once you've had repairs. I am glad I did not go for a more complicated surgery, especially with mesh. I did not need it and many women have had problems from the mesh.

Please do not allow anyone to rush you into a decision. I would get yet a third opinion if I were in your shoes. You have plenty of time to make the best decision for you. By the way, before my surgery I got quite a lot of relief using an inversion table daily (or more often if I felt like it and had time).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Re: TVH with a&p repair in 2 weeks

I forgot to add that I do also have a slight rectocele. Thanks for your input!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register