Strong BCP to delay final period before LAVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Strong BCP to delay final period before LAVH? Strong BCP to delay final period before LAVH?

Unread 10-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Strong BCP to delay final period before LAVH?

Hello lovely ladies! I'm 34 and scheduled for surgery 10/15 and my massive & final Red Sea is due 10/9. Last month I ended up in the ER due to menorrhagia on day 2 of my already week-early period. I have not responded well to BC in the past (months long periods) and because of the submucosal and subserosal fibroids present (especially the ones on my cervix), we decided an LAVH would be the best solution.

I contacted my dr's office today once it occurred to me that I'm due for another period before surgery (hoping they would bump me up) and instead was told they will just call in a "strong BCP" to stop the bleeding once it starts. I explained to the nurse that one of the reasons I'm having a hysterectomy is because I can't take BCP so this confused me. On the other hand, the last thing I want to do is end up in the ER again because of the heavy bleeding, especially right before my surgery.

If you were in my shoes, would you go ahead and take the BCP? I know I won't be able to bleed for months because my equipment is being removed but I'm hesitant to take anything hormonal when I haven't taken any BCP for over a decade.

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Re: Strong BCP to delay final period before LAVH?

I was bleeding when I went in for my surgery and the doctors told me it was no big deal and the surgery could be done regardless so not sure why they are trying to stop yours.

I went into the operating room with my maxi pad on and their surgical undies to keep it in place.
Unread 10-02-2013, 03:47 PM

I was on a high dose of progesterone to suppress my cancer and with that, it stopped my period. I believe some (if not most) BCPs are progesterone based so maybe that's the logic?

I'd remind them that you can't do BCPs and ask them to confirm with your MD that it's ok for you to take.

I'm on BCP now (trying to have a baby, go figure!) and even though estrogen is dangerous for my cancer, since I'm having a hysterectomy in the end no matter what, the risk vs. benefit was worth it to me.

Good luck with your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2013, 07:53 PM

I would definitely call you doctor and remind him or her about how you react to BCP. You want to have this resolved.

Unread 10-02-2013, 08:07 PM

Thanks for your replies. I'm not worried so much about being on my period during the surgery because I know that's no biggie. I'm worried about the week or more of heavy clotting and pain before my surgery because last month was so severe. The fibroids on my cervix are basically holding it open so the bleeding is awful, as I'm sure you all completely understand! The idea of going through what I dealt with last month, and then immediately following it up with major surgery is just not how I envisioned my October! I think I'm going to pass on the BCP though. I don't want to take the chance of any having crazy side effects when it will all be removed soon. And so we wait!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register