Keeping ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keeping ovaries? Keeping ovaries?

Unread 03-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Keeping ovaries?

I am scheduled for 4/12/12 for an abdominal hysterectomy. My dr is recommending taking everything out but has asked what I would prefer as she knows I have reservations about taking the ovaries.

I am worried about what I may have to deal with, with out them. I have a long history of mental health issues, depression & anxiety & have been hospitalized for depression in the past. I am on medication now but it is not all that well controlled. I see a psych dr for my medications but between severe medication allergies and unusual side effects, it has been difficult to get my depression fully under control. I am afraid no ovaries will throw my depression into a tail spin & I will be in a worse spot than I am now. In the past, I haven't been able to take hormonal birth control since it affected me too much. For some odd reason, being pregnant kept my depression very well controlled but then I've had PPD to the point where my dr wanted me admitted. I have 4 children from ages 2-18.

I have had ovarian cysts. I think that is why the dr wants to take them out but honestly, I'd rather deal with an ovarian cyst a few times a year that sends me to the ER than being that depressed as I fear I could be.

Thank you for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2012, 01:40 AM
Re: Keeping ovaries?

Yeah...I don't know...I am keeping my right one (well, IF it looks good) but the left is covered with cysts and the pain of that coupled with pressure, bleeding, and bloating from the fibroids, well...I just want whatever is causing all this pain and bleeding out. I am a little scared of being thrown into menopause, though. It's a tough decision. You sound like you want to keep your ovaries. So keep them. Worst case, get them out later. At least then you know you tried, right?
Unread 03-11-2012, 05:21 AM
Re: Keeping ovaries?

i would try to keep at least 1 ovary.they are real essential in alot of ways to yr body.my dr. was for savin ovaries and if need be go back in to remove them.why?cause of all they do for you physically and mentally.i am glad now that they were left and i am keeping a pain diary.the 1st 3 months post i would have a very cysty ovulation but now it is minimizing.i would really do alot of research about their benefits before removing them not unless you have cancer concerns.my dr. also advised of how it would affect me emotionally.if you're having mental issues now this would probably make them alot WORSE.good luck to u

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register