Upcoming hysterectomy 10/1: When did you find out the time of your surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 10/1: When did you find out the time of your surgery? Upcoming hysterectomy 10/1: When did you find out the time of your surgery?

Unread 09-24-2015, 04:51 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/1: When did you find out the time of your surgery?

So I am a week from surgery and I know the date and where and the surgeon for my hyst but I still don't have a time and there won't be a pre-op appointment. The only thing I have to do before surgery next Thu is to have a blood test on the Wed which I have the forms for.

I emailed the Dr questions last week and she replied at nearly 11pm (I expected next day reply not same night when emailed at nearly 5pm) and this means she is so very busy to be on emails replying so late at night I really don't want to disturb her too often. However, she said that she would let me know closer to the time when the report time and fasting times etc were to be. I just want to know how much warning of time you got. I have 2 options for me getting to the hospital and depends on what time it is for who it suits better and I want to fix who is helping me sooner rather than later and everyone left in limbo.

So, how long before surgery did you find out your report to hospital time? I don't want to annoy the Dr too soon.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2015, 05:44 AM
Re: When did you find out the time of your surgery?

I found out the day I got my letter confirming my surgery date. It doesn't say what time my surgery is though, just tells me to be there at 7:15am and I'll be advised of my surgery time slot on the day.
Unread 09-24-2015, 06:17 AM
Re: When did you find out the time of your surgery?

I didn't get my surgery date from my doctor. The hospital called with it a couple of weeks after I'd seen him. The surgery date was about five weeks on from when they were calling. They also told me to be at the hospital at 6:45 AM. I told them I couldn't do this because there's no bus that leaves from my home city that early. I said the earliest I could be there was 9:30 AM. They said, okay, 9:30 AM.

I was never told when the surgery itself was going to start, but it ended up starting about noon. I really didn't care what time the surgery was, because my job was to get to the hospital on time. After that it was all someone else's problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2015, 07:14 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 10/1: When did you find out the time of your surgery?

I knew it would be first thing in the morning, but they called me the day before from the hospital to tell me for sure what time, and what time to arrive at the hospital.
Unread 09-24-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZDamia View Post
...I have 2 options for me getting to the hospital and depends on what time it is for who it suits better and I want to fix who is helping me sooner rather than later and everyone left in limbo...
I completely "get" that you want to let the people who are helping you know what's happening sooner rather than later. However, given the way doctors and hospitals work, sometimes this isn't possible.

I arranged with a friend in who lives in my surgery city to drive me back to my home city after I was released from the hospital. The best I could tell her beforehand was that I was going to be in for three or four days. She understood that there was no way for me to tell more precisely than that.
Unread 09-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/1: When did you find out the time of your surgery?

My surgery time was arranged with my surgeon's office, 3 months before the surgery date. When I went for my pre-op testing, the day before my surgery, I was given written instructions to check in at 10:00 for a 12:00 surgery; my surgeon's office had given me a surgery time of 11:00, so I asked the admissions department if 12:00 was correct, and they assured me it was . As it turned out, I was brought into the operating room at 11:15. Hopefully, you'll know at least the day before, so you can make the required arrangements. Best wishes for your surgery!
Unread 09-24-2015, 10:27 AM

They gave me the time to be at the hospital at my pre surgery visit.
Unread 09-24-2015, 11:25 AM

Generally in my area, surgeons can give you an idea a few days before what time to be there, but it will depend on how many procedures they have scheduled and the overall health of the patients scheduled. For example if someone has blood sugar problems they are more apt to schedule their surgery earlier in line because of being NPO (nothing by mouth) overnight. They may have everyone to report to the hospital around the same time, because there could be a patient who doesn't make it to the hospital on time, or has a health issue that changes, or there are emergency surgeries. That way they can proceed as closely to the schedule as possible. My nurse called 2-3 days before to tell me what time mine was planned.
Unread 09-24-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
I completely "get" that you want to let the people who are helping you know what's happening sooner rather than later. However, given the way doctors and hospitals work, sometimes this isn't possible.

I arranged with a friend in who lives in my surgery city to drive me back to my home city after I was released from the hospital. The best I could tell her beforehand was that I was going to be in for three or four days. She understood that there was no way for me to tell more precisely than that.
Thanks for that but it is getting me to the hospital I was concerned about, getting home is not an issue as my wonderful parents are coming to town to pick me up and help out. Currently planned for 2 night stay and they will be fine if it takes longer to make it out.

My two choices are a friend who is available to help out as she has no responsibilities at home and my preferred friend who has her kids home due to school holidays and it needs to be before her husband needs to go to work for her to drop me off and I really want her to.

I think I will try and control my desire to know and not get too antsy about it and only contact the Dr on Monday for the time. To me that is getting too close and I want to know now but I don't want to hassle her. As I am in a private hospital instead of a public, there is less likelihood of emergency surgery bumping me. I hope they don't post it to me as the post only comes 3 days a week here now and letters across town (15 min drive) can take a week to happen instead of overnight like you would think/expect.
Unread 09-24-2015, 01:11 PM

Hi. I chose my surgery date to be convenient for me( its tomorrow!) And when I got all the paperwork through, about a week ago, it said on there that theatre was booked for 6pm. My consultants secretary also rang to confirm the time.
Lal x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register