Upcoming hysterectomy 7/11: Need support: I'm 35 w/surgery in 4 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 7/11: Need support: I'm 35 w/surgery in 4 days Upcoming hysterectomy 7/11: Need support: I'm 35 w/surgery in 4 days

Unread 07-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 7/11: Need support: I'm 35 w/surgery in 4 days

Hello sisters,

I found out I had endometrial cancer just over a week ago and have my surgery scheduled for next Tuesday, just four days away. So from when I found out I had endometrial cancer to the surgery is only 15 days! And it has been busy telling and dealing with family and loved ones, the various tests beforehand. It has been a lot to process and it feels so rushed.

I am especially worried because I'm 35 years old and my doctor is also planning the removal of my ovaries. It's hard for me to accept the numerous side affects I may have because I'm so young - sudden menopause, increased potential of heart disease, osteoporosis, depression, weight gain, impacts to sex life, etc.

I'd really appreciate any advice and/or comfort any of you might share with me. I'd also appreciate hearing from anyone who has been in my situation. I'm very scared and trying to be positive, but it's hard.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Re: Need support: I'm 35 w/surgery in 4 days

Hello, dear. I'm sorry you have had to find us here. This must feel very sudden for you. I assume you are seeing an oncologist who will be doing or guiding the surgery. If not, you do want to have an oncologist on board from the start.

You are right - you are young. I was 51 when I had my surgery. But how fortunate that you have discovered the cancer and are having the procedure. One way to address your feeling of being overwhelmed might be to read the boards here and get yourself fully into prep mode, so your home and you are ready for your return from the hospital.

I'm hoping someone closer to your age will come along and share her experience.
Unread 07-07-2017, 12:46 PM

Thank you very much for your words of support. It does help me to feel better. Yes, my doctor is a GYN oncologist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2017, 01:02 PM

That's excellent.

You will need help around the house. Even if your surgery will be DaVinci, you still will have lots and lots of internal stitches. The recommendation used to be no lifting more than 2 pounds. A gallon of water is a little over 8 pounds, so you will want to buy small quantities of everything you might need, so you can handle the situation.

Will you have help at home? You shouldn't bend over! So you will need help feeding pets, if you have any, doing laundry (wet laundry weighs waaaay more than 2 pounds), and maybe even getting in and out of bed. I used dark pillow cases under me, in bed, at first. I swapped them out each day, so I'd have a fresh one underneath me. Some use bed pads. These work, too, but I wanted the feel of cloth next to me. You'll need someone to stop by and help you with minor things, and someone to do a first shopping.

I can't tell if you have family there or not, so if you tell us more about your situation, maybe others will stop by and offer suggestions. There are whole threads about preparing for surgery, so spend time on those threads gaining others' tips. This is a great site for that!
Unread 07-07-2017, 02:44 PM

Well, *maybe* you'll need help at home. I had an abdominal hysterectomy for endometrial cancer and was released from the hospital on the third day after surgery. I did fine at home on my own and found it relaxing. I was told not to lift more than 10 lbs and my body concurred. It screamed when I tried to pick up my 13-lb cat but was okay with the 7-lb sack of kibble.

Now, me, I was 55 years old and four years past menopause, so I had no problems with my ovaries being taken. But why the heck is your doc taking yours? I'd suggest fighting that if I were you, even if you have to delay surgery to get a second opinion. I had my surgery 10 weeks after diagnosis, 5 1/2 months after my initial symptoms. As long as your particular cancer isn't one of the aggressive kinds (grade 3, serous or clear cell), you have a bit of time.

Per the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN.org), "In premenopausal women with stage IA to B endometrial cancer, data suggest that ovarian preservation is safe and not accompanied by an increased risk of cancer-related mortality; patients were followed for 16 years. Other studies also suggest that ovarian preservation may be safe in women with early-stage endometrial cancer."
Unread 07-07-2017, 04:29 PM

I'm 34 and I had my davinci hyster and bso last month. Long story short - very painful periods, mild endometriosis, sisters with cervical and ovarian cancer and the beginnings of questionable cells on my own tests led to that decision. Hot flashes have been my biggest symptom but still not unbearable. I've also had some mood swings but I think I'm handling that OK (my hubby might say differently lol). If ovaries are removed you will need some pharmaceutical help. No shame in any of the available options either prescription or over the counter. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist to get their ideas on some good options. Personally I take a menopause multivitamin type deal, apple cider vinegar, i-cool gel caps (from Wal-Mart for hot flashes) and I just started my estradiol Rx patch today. Ive found that light cotton PJs and an ice pack on my chest helps me sleep. Best of luck.
Unread 07-07-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbea View Post
...If ovaries are removed you will need some pharmaceutical help...
Except that the reason for removing the ovaries in cases of endometrial cancer is that most forms of endometrial cancer are fed by estrogen. Keeping the ovaries and the estrogen they provide is thought to increase the chances of a recurrence - a recurrence anywhere, not just in the ovaries. By the same reasoning, HRT would also increase the chances of a recurrence.

The thing is, cancer strategies are always about risks vs benefits. A postmenopausal woman gets fewer benefits from her ovaries (although she does get *some*). These benefits are less than the risk that the estrogen the ovaries are producing will fuel a recurrence.

But a premenopausal woman gets more benefits from her ovaries. Current thought is that these benefits *outweigh* the risk that the estrogen the ovaries are producing will fuel a recurrence. However, an older and/or more conservative doctor may well still suggest removing the ovaries, simply because that's how it used to be done.
Unread 07-07-2017, 05:46 PM

There are non estrogen over the counter supplements to pick from as well so if you do have ovaries removed and can't go the traditional HRT route, don't give up. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about non estrogen therapies too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register