Why should I trust test results? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why should I trust test results? Why should I trust test results?

Unread 08-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Why should I trust test results?

Hi ladies, On March 3rd of this year I had a radical hysterectomy due to cervical and uterine cancer. I did radiation. All done, ok, whatever. I feel fine, no pesky period to make my life miserable. I get swelly belly alot, my incision area if very often sensitive. I guess I might as well donate my thong bikini to the Goodwill.
But anyway I went to the Dr for the first of my 'three month check ups'. No sign of cancer. Sounds good. I guess they just did a PAP test, right? But the PAP test never did show cancer for me. Cancer was never discovered untill they did a D & C to remove a fibroid tumor, back in February. So the fact that my PAP test came back showing nothing, means nothing, really. Does anyone have any feed back on this? How will I really know if it comes back or not? I feel alright now, I guess. I tire easily sometimes. Who knows? Oh, whatever. Someone please tell me how they feel about these follow up tests. Bye for now! Thanks
Hare Krishna, MahaYoga
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2004, 11:16 PM

Hi there Gopi,

The pap test does not tell anything about what goes on in the uterus, it only checks cells in the cervix and vagina.

Take care,

Maria
Unread 08-08-2004, 12:55 AM

I had 30 years of negative pap smears but got cervical cancer anyway. My doctor always does a pap smear, but it means little to me. I have more confidence in his examination than I do in pap smears.
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2004, 01:13 AM

Hello!
I've been MIA from these boards for quite a while, and have recently started lurking again.

I just had to comment on this.

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer after 1 abnormal pap. I have always gone faithfully to get my exams. I guess all the other ones didn't catch it, or whatever.

I SO know how you feel. I actually just looked at my results from my first post op pap that said "within normal limits" and kinda snickered. I mean, that's what they had ALL said!

I know everyone copes different. Heck, I have so many different feelings from day to day it's scary!

I guess I really don't know what to say, except I understand how you feel.

I guess it doesn't really bother me to look at those results and think of the worse. Denial maybe?
Unread 08-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Hi Gopi

You may be an exception to the rule that the Pap didn't pick up the cervical cancer. A lot depends on how good a sample is taken and in the person who reviews the slides. Even so, tests are not perfect. I have a friend on another board who has ovarian cancer, same stage and almost same time as mine. I have an incredibly sensitive CA125--our test--that even one cell seems to trigger. She has found through sad experience that the CA125 doesnt' work at all for her--she had an extremely low reading of 4 and when it reached 6 she had a bad bout of it back again. In your case, going by how you feel and more regular exams may pick up anything that better not be there!
Unread 08-08-2004, 01:13 PM

I know how you feel I had no abnormal paps for 27 years and then I was diagnosed as having invasive cervical cancer. I have thought the same thing, that if test before did not pick it up then will the paps now be better.

I also have come to rely on my oncologist picking it up. I actually would rather go more often for exams and have a chance of catching any potential problems earlier.

I am 1 year 4 months post treatment and am just enjoying being cancer free!!
Unread 08-09-2004, 08:39 AM

I, too, had normal paps. Seven months after my last pap I was diagnosed with endo-cervical adenocarcinoma, stage 1B. I had a RAH/BSO with lymph node dissection on March 12, 2004. Since my cancer was in the upper part of the cervix.....the pap didn't pick it up. Where was your cervical cancer?

It is my understanding that they still do Pap test on the vaginal cuff because that is one of the sites where recurrence can happen.

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register