Fecal incontinence after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fecal incontinence after surgery Fecal incontinence after surgery

Unread 09-23-2021, 11:35 AM
Fecal incontinence after surgery

I just had my two year hysterversary. I had to have an episiotomy during my surgery and ended up with an infection. For the last few months I have been occasionally having incidents where I have a sudden urge to poop and sometimes I feel like I have to run to the bathroom or I will have an accident.

Has anyone had similar issues? I have my checkup scheduled in three weeks but I am not sure if I should call the dr’s office and discuss if it is related to my surgery before then.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2021, 04:24 PM
Re: Fecal incontinence after surgery

I wouldn't think it has anything to do with a hysterectomy. what supplements are you taking?
Unread 09-23-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedupinblue View Post
I wouldn't think it has anything to do with a hysterectomy. what supplements are you taking?
I am not taking any supplements. It just feels like the muscle may be weak and can’t hold things in sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2021, 04:31 AM

Have you recently made any changes to your diet? If you've been eating more seasonal produce like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, apples, pears, plums, peaches, nectarines, and cherries, they're high in fermentable carbohydrates which are a common culprit in fecal incontinence, because your anal sphincter has to open up to release the resultant gas; search "Low FODMAPs Diet" for a comprehensive list of these foods. Other common culprits include caffeinated foods and beverages, and spicy or fatty foods, so I recommend keeping a food/symptom diary to check for any of these and other culprits. Soluble fiber from bananas, blueberries, oatmeal, and psyllium or chia seeds can help to produce firmer, less urgent bowel movements by absorbing excess water. Best wishes for figuring this out soon, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 10-06-2021, 09:49 AM
Re: Fecal incontinence after surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by endosister74 View Post
I just had my two year hysterversary. I had to have an episiotomy during my surgery and ended up with an infection. For the last few months I have been occasionally having incidents where I have a sudden urge to poop and sometimes I feel like I have to run to the bathroom or I will have an accident.

Has anyone had similar issues? I have my checkup scheduled in three weeks but I am not sure if I should call the dr’s office and discuss if it is related to my surgery before then.

Thanks!
endosister. I am so sorry you are having issues with BM’s dear … I know that is hard. You mentioned you think it might be weak muscles which is definitely a possibility. When you see your doctor, I recommend asking about Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy. I went through 6 months of therapy after my surgery due to weak pelvic floor muscles … I found it very helpful.

Please keep us posted dear and remember we are here for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register