Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 20-Sep 26,2021 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 20-Sep 26,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 20-Sep 26,2021

Unread 09-24-2021, 11:44 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 20-Sep 26,2021

Today is 3 days after my surgery. I mostly feel weak, and my tummy feels sore. I’ve had a few bm’s, and they weren’t terrible. Otherwise, I feel pretty good…but that seems to be because of the meds.

I am still taking the heavier pain killer the doctor gave me. Yesterday I skipped my noon dose and just took ibuprofen, so I could be lucid enough to help my 15yo get ready for his chemistry test. I felt a lot worse. The heavier stuff is masking the pain. Hopefully by Sunday, when I run out of it, the pain will be manageable with just ibuprofen. And he got a 100% on his test, so it was worth it.

I miss picking up my toddler. She desperately wants me to, and of course can’t understand why I won’t. I find myself mostly avoiding her, which makes me sad, but seems better for her.

Some people from church have brought meals, and have offered to help in various ways. My husband and kids are trying to make me comfortable and give me everything I need and want. I’m so glad to have so much support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2021, 09:22 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 20-Sep 26,2021

Hello! I had my LAVH this morning. Got put under around 9am and was in recovery maybe a couple of hours. I am home now. Not in as much pain as I was expecting. Had an allergic reaction of some sort in recovery so they gave me some liquid benadryl but I'm fine now, just scratchy throat. I have hypertension so my bp was high all day. Going to eat and take meds and pet my cat. Take care!
Unread 09-25-2021, 04:06 AM
Smile - Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 20-Sep 26,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 20-Sep 26,2021

For all of this week’s “princesses”: This is your recovery progress thread. Welcome to everyone who has made it to the other side!! Feel free to update us on your progress if you haven’t already. We are here to support you. : )

MaeBW: I can commiserate with you on this. I don’t know how old your toddler is, but if wiggling could be kept to a minimum (to prevent pain/injury for you), could you have someone place her beside you in your recovery nest? You could still snuggle. Maybe show her your “booboo bandages” or something to help with comprehension? (I have a toddler nephew—which I know is not nearly the same as 24/7, but these are some of the things I did when he visited me early on in my recovery. He could get squirrely, and he did forget about the booboos rather quickly—ouch!, but I felt so much better just being able to hug him.)

Ravenreine: Please keep an eye on your allergy situation. Depending on the severity of an allergy, I know it can be an irritation/reoccurrence for days afterwards. (I have an anaphylactic allergy to yellow jackets…so unfortunately, I have dealt with this a time or two...). Don’t hesitate to take a Benadryl every time the bottle allows if there is a reoccurrence. (I took one every morning after surgery for the first week or so…the benefits were two-fold: 1. It prevented me from allergy-sneezing and hurting my abdomen, and 2. I got a bonus nap almost immediately [LOL]) Not sure where you are, but fall pollen is high where I live—worse after each rain, and I have been taking allergy meds. just for the relief—10 weeks post-op—without needing to avoid pain!

To all the girls who have had bowel movements: YAY!!!!! (Way to get-er-done Babedblue2001!)

For the girls who still haven’t: I know for some of you, walking is more difficult and painful (every surgery—and recovery—is different) but please do try to get your bodies moving as much as tolerated. It helps with circulation and the part of digestion that makes the “magic” happen. ; )

Keep walking and pushing fluids. (Hot drinks can be a God-send for those still looking for results!).
Unread 09-25-2021, 04:47 AM
Cool - Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 20-Sep 26,2021 Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 20-Sep 26,2021

Progress update: Today is Saturday. I had my LAVH on Monday and things are going well. At last report, I was waiting/hoping/praying for the Miralax miracle and it finally happened. A lot less dramatic than I thought it would be and I have been regular since, so I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I am completely off the pain meds, as I only have pain in certain positions or with certain movements, which I try to avoid. I have graduated to the upstairs bedroom (from the pull-out sofa in the living room--not much privacy, but you don't feel so alone), which has a significantly higher bed. I have had to pull out the old hernia surgery maneuver (back up onto bed, roll onto back, adjust position by pulling on right leg and wiggling--not elegant but it works). Only problem I have, and it's minor, is anything with a waistband, no matter how loose. Oh, and hiccups. Has anyone else been blessed with hiccups? Oh. My. God.
Unread 09-25-2021, 05:47 AM

Hi everyone,

Grateful to be joining you on the other side of surgery and into healing. I had my TAH with salpingectomy (ovaries stayed) with a vertical incision on Wednesday 9/22 and spent 2 nights in the hospital, as my surgeon had told me to expect. I was discharged yesterday (Friday) afternoon and am so happy to be home.

I am sore but surprised by how well I feel and how much I am able to move. I walked from the stretcher to my hospital bed a few hours after surgery. I am walking like a slow turtle and being careful to keep moving and also not to do too much, but so glad to be up and around.

The worst part after surgery for me was post-anesthesia sweaty nausea and my bowels "waking up" with lots of gas pain and continued nausea from pre-surgery constipation, which I've been living with for a while because of fibroids compressing my bowels. My care team took care of the constipation in the hospital with a suppository, so that I had my first bowel movements yesterday (celebrating with those who have had this happen, and for those still waiting, relief is coming, and don't be afraid to ask for help from your doctor if you need it).

Taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen alternating for pain, with heavier stuff if needed (haven't had to take the narcotic since Thurs night). Colace and senna to keep things moving. Less and less spotting each day, still a bit this morning.

Grateful for husband and family and friends who are all very supportive.

Sending good healing wishes to all of you!
Unread 09-25-2021, 10:52 AM

Morning friends! I'm doing all right today. A bit crampy but not too bad. I'm ina rural part of Arizona. Allergies were worse earlier this summer where we actually got monsoons so every plant was growing/pollening. I havent felt too bad but we got allergy meds all over the house so if I do have another anaphylaxis episode ill be ready.

So glad I got a lap pillow! My nursemaid cat has been next to me/on top of me all night long.

My family has been really good and helpful. Church friends will be bringing in meals so they won't starve

I've done some laps around the bar this morning. Going to go doze and then do some more laps. No bm's yet but maybe I will be lucky tomorrow. Take care!
Unread 09-25-2021, 10:59 AM

Mon-Sat and the difference each day has been steadily in the right direction! Slept in my own bed without help last night and even slept on my side for a few hours. It was the best sleep since surgery and this morning I feel so much better. No middle of the night meds either. Might go out and walk the cul-de-sac this afternoon!
Unread 09-25-2021, 02:22 PM

Hello, all. Day 4 here. Total hysterectomy, bladder sling with various clean up inside. I had 2 prior uterine suspensions in 40 years.....
I am absolutely feeling better after the first 2 days , and being cautious walking and moving about.
Still very tired, dizzy, still sore with various bruising around the sides as well as around incisions.
Sitting hurts more, I imagine do to the tail bone sling meshed in.... bloating today as stool softeners are not working adding to the discomfort.
I notice its tiring to speak for some reason today , raspy voice . Need to whisper more so then speak in a normal tone. Very odd.
I am grateful for this site so I can follow along- understanding this may take a bit longer, recovery wise ,then prior surgeries.
I never knew about the waist band...will look into it.
Thanks for being here....and for sharing.
Unread 09-25-2021, 03:19 PM
Wink - Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 20-Sep 26,2021 Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 20-Sep 26,2021

It's Day 5 for me now, and I think I'm doing pretty well. My surgery was early Tuesday morning; it's now Saturday afternoon. I had first BM on Thursday around 5 pm and while it seemed silly, I was thrilled and felt like celebrating - I had been dreading it and figuring it would still be at least another day. I didn't take laxatives because I have serious reactions to them and instead tried to control it through diet to make sure I didn't get constipated; I was really careful, and am very pleased that it worked. I did take half a stool softener. I have been regular since then. As soon as I had pooped, I had an immediate reduction in in the bloating, pain and pressure in my "swelly belly," and while it's still there, it's not near as bad as it was. My ob/gyn had warned me I absolutely can't strain, and two things worked for me to help me completely avoid any straining (aside from patience): Drinking some warm water, which I read in a post in one of the threads on this site; and the old "blowing off the urge to push" technique from labor (it was a long time ago when I had my kids, but I remember that!).
I have been going for more and more walks and they have been pleasant. I was walking at a very slow pace. Then today, I wanted to go for a walk during halftime of the football game, so I walked a little faster, not quite up to my normal pace but considerably faster than before, and that felt fine too (and I got back in time not to miss any of the action from my local college team, which won - Go Broncos!).
I have now stopped using the narcotic pain reliever; I'm doing well enough without it, and don't want the constipation risk. I did have a lot of trouble falling asleep last night without it, though. For an hour, I kept coughing, just a shallow cough that I'd also had on and off during the day (I think it's combo of leftover irritation from the breathing tube and the "extreme" sage pollen conditions here, which is the main thing I have allergies to). Also, my big, cold ice pack on my tummy was making me cold. Finally, I gargled with some minty mouthwash to soothe my throat and that temporarily relieved it, I added an extra blanket that I didn't think I needed, and I raised my head up a little in the recliner from the fully-reclined position; then I was able to fall asleep and sleep for 5 hours straight (for the first time since the operation; i've generally been up every 2-3 hours). I woke up hot and sweaty, but it was worth it. I've now taken a couple of showers and they feel great.
Today, I've been enjoying tea with honey; very helpful for that little cough. Also having a small pillow to press over my belly when I do cough.
I have found it really helpful to read the various stuff on this site and I appreciate everyone sharing experiences and advice. It seemed so daunting at first, but I'm feeling much more positive now.
After having seen on various threads that women were posting that they'd lost weight as a result of this operation, I decided to weigh myself when I woke up this morning, though I certainly don't feel as if I've lost weight, given the swelly belly. I have lost 5 pounds! That was a really nice emotional boost, as one of my big worries was that with the enforced inactivity - no swimming, running, etc. - I was going to put on a bunch of weight. I hope to stave off that possibility through healthy eating and lots of walking as I continue to recover.
Best wishes to all for a good and full recovery...
Unread 09-25-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attitude79 View Post
It's Day 5 for me now, and I think I'm doing pretty well. My surgery was early Tuesday morning; it's now Saturday afternoon. I had first BM on Thursday around 5 pm and while it seemed silly, I was thrilled and felt like celebrating - I had been dreading it and figuring it would still be at least another day. I didn't take laxatives because I have serious reactions to them and instead tried to control it through diet to make sure I didn't get constipated; I was really careful, and am very pleased that it worked. I did take half a stool softener. I have been regular since then. As soon as I had pooped, I had an immediate reduction in in the bloating, pain and pressure in my "swelly belly," and while it's still there, it's not near as bad as it was. My ob/gyn had warned me I absolutely can't strain, and two things worked for me to help me completely avoid any straining (aside from patience): Drinking some warm water, which I read in a post in one of the threads on this site; and the old "blowing off the urge to push" technique from labor (it was a long time ago when I had my kids, but I remember that!).
I have been going for more and more walks and they have been pleasant. I was walking at a very slow pace. Then today, I wanted to go for a walk during halftime of the football game, so I walked a little faster, not quite up to my normal pace but considerably faster than before, and that felt fine too (and I got back in time not to miss any of the action from my local college team, which won - Go Broncos!).
I have now stopped using the narcotic pain reliever; I'm doing well enough without it, and don't want the constipation risk. I did have a lot of trouble falling asleep last night without it, though. For an hour, I kept coughing, just a shallow cough that I'd also had on and off during the day (I think it's combo of leftover irritation from the breathing tube and the "extreme" sage pollen conditions here, which is the main thing I have allergies to). Also, my big, cold ice pack on my tummy was making me cold. Finally, I gargled with some minty mouthwash to soothe my throat and that temporarily relieved it, I added an extra blanket that I didn't think I needed, and I raised my head up a little in the recliner from the fully-reclined position; then I was able to fall asleep and sleep for 5 hours straight (for the first time since the operation; i've generally been up every 2-3 hours). I woke up hot and sweaty, but it was worth it. I've now taken a couple of showers and they feel great.
Today, I've been enjoying tea with honey; very helpful for that little cough. Also having a small pillow to press over my belly when I do cough.
I have found it really helpful to read the various stuff on this site and I appreciate everyone sharing experiences and advice. It seemed so daunting at first, but I'm feeling much more positive now.
After having seen on various threads that women were posting that they'd lost weight as a result of this operation, I decided to weigh myself when I woke up this morning, though I certainly don't feel as if I've lost weight, given the swelly belly. I have lost 5 pounds! That was a really nice emotional boost, as one of my big worries was that with the enforced inactivity - no swimming, running, etc. - I was going to put on a bunch of weight. I hope to stave off that possibility through healthy eating and lots of walking as I continue to recover.
Best wishes to all for a good and full recovery...
Hey Sister! My surgery was Tuesday morning as well. Was set for 11:30am but didn't go back until 12:30. Glad things are looking up for you. Me as well. I'm actually sleeping almost at normal position but not sleeping well either. I'm hoping tonight's the night for a better sleep. Off Vicodin, tonight will be night #2. Took ibuprofen and tylenol together, only once today, may not have to take it tonight... just not sure. I'll have to try the warm tea for constipation. I've been going once or twice since yesterday but I can tell I need to go again. I'm on prescription strength Colace and Benefiber (only once a day but may increase that dose). Hugs!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register