Wanting advice on hysterectomy options | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wanting advice on hysterectomy options Wanting advice on hysterectomy options

Unread 01-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Wanting advice on hysterectomy options

My doctor found a good size sisk on my left ovary and 2 small ones on my right.He says the left one has to go but I may be able to keep the right one.I am now waiting for test results such as;cancer,endometreoisis,hormonal levels and thyroid.I go back for Feb.14th for pre op appointment.I am debating on having a total hysterectomy.I guess really it's depending on the tests results.My main concern is should I keep my right ovary? Any feedback will be aprrecaited.Thank You! Carmen2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2006, 10:30 AM

Carmen,
we are in the same boat. I have cysts on both ovaries and suspected endo. I also have a rectocele and prolapsed uterus. I have been having trouble deciding what to do. I see my dr tomorrow and go for a second opinion on thursday. Let me know what you decide. Hugs, Maureen
Unread 01-17-2006, 01:15 PM

Hi. I had cysts, prolapse, endo and had this same debate. I decided when it came down to it that though my chances for non-recurring endo seemed slimmer if I had both ovaries removed that I would leave the decision to my doctor once he got in there. I was prepared to live with whatever happened. I felt that I could do no better than to research what it was like to have no ovaries so I would be prepared for the worst. The thing is, no matter how bad things sometimes look on the sonograms etc... sometimes things turn out better than we or our doctors can have imagined and organs can be saved.

Obviously, my advice is to prepare for the worst but leave the decision to your doctor if you trust him/her to do so. Your body will cope better with your own hormones and you can't beat that!!

If ovarian cancer or extensive endometriosis are present, sometimes the best option is to remove both ovaries. Unless this is the case for you, I would recommend leaving one.

Your doctor and you know your situation the best, I'm just offering advice drawn from my experience... I hope it helps a bit.

Unread 01-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Thank You!!

Thank you both for your replies.I think you may be right just prepare for the worse and just wait on the tests results and talk with the doc.,on my next visit he's pretty informmative and I believe he knows what he's doing.He done a friend of mine's hysterectomy,that's how I found out about him. I will let you know what I decide.I don't go back until Feb.14th and may be having the surgery on Feb.27th.Thanks Again!! Carmen
Unread 01-17-2006, 03:39 PM

HI Stacey and Carmen,
I am going to insist that he leaves at least one ovary. I don't want to take HRT at all. (In my family we have really early menopause so at almost 36 years--in March--I don't have to live that long with the cysts, etc. if they leave one.)

Do either of you have a rectocele? I am curious as to what that repair will be like. The dr told me he would basically almost do a new episiotomy along the old scar tissue and fix that. Hugs, Maureen
Unread 01-17-2006, 07:45 PM

Hi Maureen and Stacey,Thanks again for your replies.This is a great site.My doctor didn't mention a rectocele.So I would say not.Actually I didn't even know what you were talking about,but I looked it up.I am sure your doctor can fix the problem.What did he or she say about it? I am sorry I can't help you with that.But willing to listen.And wish you all the best.I believe I am going to keep my right ovary,also,if possible.I have talked to a few friends of mine and this web site has helped me alot,too. My doctor said he could remove the cysts from the right one and probably be able to keep it.I guess he'll know more at the time of the surgery.And after he gets all the test results back.Thanks Again!! Take Care! Carmen
Unread 01-24-2006, 08:31 AM

hi Carmen I had an endometrioma on my left ovary they said right ovary was good just had my surgery and kept my right ovary the idea of surgical menopause didn't thrill me, I also have stage 4 endo, I'll just have to deal with it if anything happens. So far I feel just the same mood and emotion wise as I did before surgery, so I'm happy. Good luck with your decision.
Kathy
Unread 01-24-2006, 11:28 AM

HI Kathy,
what is an endometrioma?

You sound great for just having surgery. What kind of hyst did you have? Hugs Raymo
Unread 01-24-2006, 03:55 PM

Hi raymo an endometrioma is a cyst it's sometimes found when you have endometriosis which I have. I had an LAVH LSO with cystoscopy and laser and thankfully no laparatomy thanks to a very good surgeon. I see that your surgery is being done laproscopically, I hope it goes well for you. I'm feeling pretty good right now except for the big bloat.
Kathy
Unread 01-24-2006, 11:31 PM

HI Kathy,
I asked my dr about his "conversion" rate and he said he has done over 100 hyst and only 2 ended up with full abdomen cuts! YAY!

I hope your bloat goes away! I have Aunt Flo right now, my back is killing me, my upper thighs are killing me, my right side is hurting like hell too! But I keep thinking, well, this month then Aunt Flo in February then maybe march but ThATS IT! Wahooo!! Hugs Raymo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register