Type A Personality Newbie (who is trying not to panic) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Type A Personality Newbie (who is trying not to panic) Type A Personality Newbie (who is trying not to panic)

Unread 04-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Type A Personality Newbie (who is trying not to panic)

I am a newbie here so please excuse me if I don't get the language down My surgery is scheduled April 30th. After years of abnormal periods and bleeding, continious ruptured cysts, a left ovary removal, gallbladder removal...they have finally said that they believe my insides look as if it sneezed and is still filled with uck. So out will come my uterus, cervix, and right ovary (left taken last year as I had a huge cyst on it and they were sure it was cancer - titres even came up positive, but it wasn't). They are also taking my appendix and so I will have a cut where my c-section was along with a cut for my appendix and am having a blood transfusion as my blood level is down to an abnormal level because of excessive bleeding for 2 months. And I am trying not to freak out. I can't sleep. I am a nervous wreck and trying to play cool and calm. My preop appt. is next Friday and I have a whole lot of questions.

I have read everything on here and even went shopping in preparation and bought some granny panties, some comfy pjs and a soft robe. I am told that I will be in the hospital for about 4 days and then recovery will depend. I am a super Type A personality. I vacuum twice a day, cook the meals for the family (dad lives with us) and work from home. Often times I screw up my own surgery recovery because of it (am stubborn not to do it, but smart enough to know I am doing it..lol!). After my one c-section, I came home that night and started doing laundry...and ended up back in the hospital. Yes, dumb. I just have a difficult time sitting down and resting. This may sound truly stupid (I swear I am not stupid!). So right now I am worrying about everything from the surgery, to the hospital stay to the recovery and everything in between. Ughhh!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2008, 07:53 PM

First of all, Welcome. I too am A Type A but I am working on not being a gluten for punishment. I also have a DH that watches me like a hawk. He wants me to heal properly. Hopefully, you will have someone watching over during your recovery to remind you to stop when they seeing you try to do something you should not.

I learned a whole lot on this board - Thank You Hyster Sisters. The most important thing I learned is to let my body heal. If you don't then you could be setting yourself up for a lifetime of pain and internal injuries. I am sure you don't want that to happen.

Try to think about the positives of all of it. You will no longer bleed, your blood count will recover, you will feel better in the long run, etc.

Try to let go and let God take control. I know that is easier said than done but if you trust in your Dr. then you are in good hands.

Ask away here. We are sure here to help you. Good luck!
Unread 04-12-2008, 01:39 AM

Hi Tangled Wishes. I have always been a total control freak and manically clean. (My family used to call me Felix Unger - the obsessive neat freak in The Odd Couple). Just want to tell you though that even though an inability to rest so you can recover properly has been your past, it doesn't have to be your future. You can choose to do it differently this time. It has helped me to really get into the whole Princess metaphor that this site promotes. At first I thought it was a bit cheesy but decided that as I was like you and unlikely to rest like I should I needed to take the lead of others who have been through it and see if it made a difference and it really has helped.

I live in Oz and bought my tiara and sceptre locally to see if I could get into it. I also bought the Pamper the Princess nightshirt and yes your highness apron for my helpers from the site shop. I have tried to think like royalty and it has helped as princesses generally dont do the laundry, cook, clean etc and I felt like I have permission to close myself off to anything I don't like or am not allowed to do. Consequently, I am finding that unlike other occasions of serious illness or surgery, I am not doing anything I am not supposed to. I have also been thinking that my time is not unproductive as I am taking proactive steps to ensuring I make a good recovery without unnecessary and avoidable setbacks like I have had in the past.

I really hope you pamper the princess that you are this time and that your surgery goes well and you have an uneventful and right royal recovery.

Blessings, Alison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2008, 06:25 AM

TangledWishes

Please listen to what your sisters are saying. It is so important that you allow yourself the time to heal. You have only one chance to heal properly; please take it.

I'm a bit hyperactive and was concerned about being inactive too. I was relieved to learn that I wouldn't be bedridden. I was gotten up the day after my surgery and sent to the showers. After that, I walked the hospital halls as often as possible, adding distance as I felt up to it. I continued walking after I got home. I read, watched tv ( don't usually much ), and did things that didn't require lifting or bending. I made it and so can you

S
Unread 04-12-2008, 07:38 AM

Before my hysterectomy, I would not let DH wash the dishes because he doesn't do it "right." I have learned that if I pick up a washed but dirty glass, there is a good chance that the next washed glass will pass my inspection.

I could not agree more with all of the other hystersisters about the need for rest and relaxation at this time. You and your family will make it, even if your family eats pbj sandwiches for dinner and the laundry piles up. Please put yourself first. You will be helping your family in the long run by making a better recovery that way.
Unread 04-12-2008, 09:32 AM

Hi TangledWishes,

I see myself in your story. You have done everything in your control and don't know how not to be in control - that's hard to accept isn't it?!! I am off of work due to 2 injuries and that nearly did me in - seriously!!! It took me some time to realize I'm a wee bit (ok a lot!) limited rite now, so my output doesn't match what it was - but the effort is the same or more so. I honestly didn't know how to ask for help, this is a new thing for me as I'm the helper. Now I am learning that this is a good thing for me both physically & mentally & it's more than okay. Don't look at it as a flaw being down & healing or feeling scared & anxious - it's really wonderful to be able to just look at somebody and receive for once with gratitute and accept their kindness & help. I've learned that people want to do this for me too, that is my job to learn this.

Good luck with the appt. pretty soon another chapter closed in the surgery novel - high 5!!
Unread 04-12-2008, 09:42 AM

Hi TangledWishes,
I understand how you feel! It's hard not to be in complete control of the situation! But... you really do need to take it easy and recover the right way! Just listen to your body it will tell you when you are overdoing it.
I will think about you on the 30th because you are having surgery on my birthday! Good luck with your appt.
Remember to
Cat
Unread 04-12-2008, 12:39 PM

I'm a type A, too. I always have to be doing something. Truth is, you won't be able to do all the things you normally do, right away. This isn't like a C-section (I couldn't image why it wouldn't be). It feels much more like your insides have been messed with a whole bunch. You're going to want to do stuff but you'll know that you just can't and someone else is going to have to do it. To be honest, I did too much afterward - bending down, carrying laundry and you do feel it afterward. For someone who has to be busy all the time, I became very comfortable in my bed (about 12 hours a day) watching TV and napping. I kind of miss it. I do miss it. It is time to pretend you are the Princess and get use to the idea that others are going to have to take over stuff you've been doing. You really don't have much of a choice and you might find out you like it! Mariah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register