Post-op intimacy concern | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op intimacy concern Post-op intimacy concern

Unread 08-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Post-op intimacy concern

I may have made a big mistake this morning...I had sex without being released by my dr to do so. It will be 6 wks post op tomorrow and I felt fine in the vaginal area, so I took it easy and gave in. I think I wanted it more than he did. I didn't bleed afterwards and felt no pain during or after sex.

Has anyone else given in to their libedo and had sex before they were given the okay by the dr?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Post-op intimacy concern

Debbier48

I'm sorry you're now very concerned about this.

It is vital to wait until being cleared by the doctor ~ for all sorts of reasons. There is a very real chance of infection, not to mention the possibility of tearing the vaginal cuff, etc. Sadly, we've had members who've had this happen.

Please check out this HS article which explains the dangers in greater detail: Sex - Do I Really Have to Wait Six Weeks?

The best thing you can do is inform your doctor, who may wish to examine you; it's very important to let him/her know about this now.

Sending all good wishes and please take care ~ it's not worth risking the hard work of recovery as you've the rest of your life to enjoy intimacy.

Unread 08-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Post-op intimacy concern

To answer your question, no, I did not give in and have intercourse before my 6 weeks release. In fact, I made a special appt to have my cuff healing checked before hand (my surgeon is a 4 hour drive, so had my local gyn check me).

I did have clearance for oral/manual stimulation at 2 weeks out from surgery, so that probably helped me wait the whole 6 weeks.

Please do call your doctor and let them know that you "jumped the gun" so they can advise you what to do. Since it was only a day or so early, you may not have caused severe injury, but it would be good to let them know, just in case.

Hope everything goes well.
Unread 08-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Post-op intimacy concern

I just got back from my 6 wk post-op check-up and everything looks fine per the dr...the stitches have all disappeared and the cervical cuff and vagina look healthy. She has released me to return to normal activities, unless there is pain and then I am to back off, which includes sex.

I'm so glad all is clear on the home front and thanks to those who responded.

Debbie
Unread 08-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Post-op intimacy concern

Debbier48, I broke the rule last weekend and had sex with hubby. It was great! No pain for the first time in years. I had my 5 week post op appt today and explained to my Dr what happened. He told me that I was ok. I had mine done Davinci, No stitches in the Vagina, not cuffs etc. Anyway he said had I called he would have released me at 4 weeks. Just call your Dr to find out what can be done if anything.
Good luck
Unread 08-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Post-op intimacy concern

Glad to hear that there were no untoward repercussions Debbie.

Isn't it great to be cleared for all activity?

Have a great week, weekend, month, year!!
Unread 08-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Post-op intimacy concern

Melissannde
It's great to be cleared for all activity. The only thing I need to do is build up my energy level a bit. My energy has gotten better since I've been walking, but I know it's still not up to par all the way.

You have a great rest of the year also!

Debbie
Unread 08-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Post-op intimacy concern

My Dr. cleared me for sex at my 6 week post-op and my stitches weren't dissolved yet. He even told me that he could see them and that they were green. I didn't try having sex until I was 8 weeks because I didn't want to do any damage, but he did clear me before my cuff stitches dissolved.
Unread 08-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Post-op intimacy concern

What the heck is the cuff?? and Davinci?? I'm sure that aI have stitches at the top of my vagina (I can feel them), but I thought they'd be dissolved sooner than 6 weeks!! My doctor never said anything about getting "cleared" first before sex, just to wait 6 weeks. Hmmmm...
Unread 08-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Post-op intimacy concern

It is my understanding the the vaginal cuff is located at the top of the vagina where your cervix used to be. If your cervix was removed, your dr stitches where the cervix used to be to close it off...can't just have an open hole.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

I have no idea what a Davinci is.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register