Was fine until 2 weeks ago. Uterus and ovaries removed. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Was fine until 2 weeks ago. Uterus and ovaries removed. Was fine until 2 weeks ago. Uterus and ovaries removed.

Unread 11-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Was fine until 2 weeks ago. Uterus and ovaries removed.

Hoping for some positive input.
On Bio HRT and last dose was 5 weeks ago (3 months post surgery).

I should feel normal. I don't. (It was great prior to surgery).
Loss of sex drive, no sensitivity at all, clitoris very small, no nipple sensitive. Until about 2 weeks ago, these things were diminished but not totally gone.
I also have a change in bowel habits. It's been happening slowly but now, very loose and prone to stomach ache (none before surgery). I am very nervous that these things are permanent. I'm concerned that I feel this,way when the HRT should be working perfectly.

I have been very regretful about having the surgery in the first place as I did not have cancer. Now, I'm very nervous. Can't sleep, not hungry and scared. Know I made a huge mistake (why did the Dr. let me?we could have tried less permanent things).
I repeated my labs 2 days ago and waiting to see if there is a change. Hoping dr. Can help me but I don't trust him now.

I'm hoping things will improve with time. I felt ok all summer, not sure why this drastic change at this point post op.

Anyone else experience this?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2021, 04:49 PM
Re: Was fine until 2 weeks ago. Uterus and ovaries removed.

and to HysterSisters!

It's not unusual to feel abnormal at this point in the recovery process. You've lost a major organ along with your ovaries, which produced the hormones your body needs.

Why did you stop using the hormone therapy your doctor prescribed? You said it should be working perfectly, but unfortunately it can take time and a lot of patience with trial and error to find the hormone therapy that works best. The symptoms you listed are common with menopause whether it's natural menopause (ovaries retained) or surgical menopause (ovaries removed). If you aren't already keeping a symptom journal, you may want to start one. It's a good way to keep track of how you're doing over a period of time and can be shared with your doctor to help figure out what's going on. If you no longer trust your doctor, consider finding another doctor you're more comfortable with to help you figure out how to deal with surgical menopause whether it's with hormone therapy or other options.

You'll find plenty of helpful hormone information in the Menopause and Hormones - Articles resource.

P. S. - Please take a moment to complete your Member Survey using this link: Member Survey . After completing it, click the "Send Answers" button at the bottom of that page.
Unread 11-15-2021, 07:35 AM

Thanks for response.
My HRT is in pellet form and lasts 3-4 months at a time. I haven't stopped HRT, it should be at maximum efficiency at this point, thus the increased worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2021, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the additional information. You had originally posted in the No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause forum. That, coupled with you saying your last dose was 5 weeks ago, led me to think you had stopped using hormones. I'm glad that's cleared up now.

Pellet therapy, like any other hormone therapy, can take time to get right. I will again suggest that you keep track of your symptoms on a daily basis so that you have a written record of how you're doing. Hopefully your latest testing will shed some light on where your levels are and your doctor can make adjustments to help you feel better.

Unread 11-15-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemr View Post
Thanks for response.
My HRT is in pellet form and lasts 3-4 months at a time. I haven't stopped HRT, it should be at maximum efficiency at this point, thus the increased worry.
I tried pellets for almost 2 years. I burned through them so fast, by the time I should have been due for more, my hormones were depleted. I could never get them to last months which led to my hormones going from good to zero every couple months. the up and down levels weren't good for my body so I switched to bioidentical creams and I feel great on those. I did keep my ovaries and went through menopause naturally. if your dr. isn't VERY knowledgeable about pellet HRT, I would find another dr or switch methods.
Unread 11-16-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemr View Post
Hoping for some positive input.
On Bio HRT and last dose was 5 weeks ago (3 months post surgery).

I should feel normal. I don't. (It was great prior to surgery).
Loss of sex drive, no sensitivity at all, clitoris very small, no nipple sensitive. Until about 2 weeks ago, these things were diminished but not totally gone.
I also have a change in bowel habits. It's been happening slowly but now, very loose and prone to stomach ache (none before surgery). I am very nervous that these things are permanent. I'm concerned that I feel this,way when the HRT should be working perfectly.

I have been very regretful about having the surgery in the first place as I did not have cancer. Now, I'm very nervous. Can't sleep, not hungry and scared. Know I made a huge mistake (why did the Dr. let me?we could have tried less permanent things).
I repeated my labs 2 days ago and waiting to see if there is a change. Hoping dr. Can help me but I don't trust him now.

I'm hoping things will improve with time. I felt ok all summer, not sure why this drastic change at this point post op.

Anyone else experience this?
Thank you in advance for your help.
I am 11 years post op. But I experienced very similar things in the beginning. Loss of sex drive and bladder issues for me. I wound up changing my doctor because my doctor wasn't listening to me. The new doctor put me on different HRT. To be honest it took months on the new meds to feel better. Your body has been through a tremendous shock. It takes time for your body to adjust. And if you don't feel comfortable with your doctor definitely look for a new doctor.
I am sorry you are going through this tough time.

I also felt like I made a mistake by getting the hysterectomy. I didn't have cancer either. I tried many treatments before surgery. So I thought that I was doing the right thing.

Things will get better. Sending hugs.
Unread 11-16-2021, 05:58 PM

I’m so sorry you’re going through is. I too had uterus and ovaries removed at 45 yo and I want to tell you don’t give up! I must have tried at least 6 different creams/gels/patches- Bio then synthetic-then constant dose changes - finally I’m doing well. Took a year to figure it out. I feel better now than I have in years. Estradiol patch i change twice a week. Estrogen is the happy hormone for sure. Good Luck! And don’t give up!
Unread 11-17-2021, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsavril View Post
I am 11 years post op. But I experienced very similar things in the beginning. Loss of sex drive and bladder issues for me. I wound up changing my doctor because my doctor wasn't listening to me. The new doctor put me on different HRT. To be honest it took months on the new meds to feel better. Your body has been through a tremendous shock. It takes time for your body to adjust. And if you don't feel comfortable with your doctor definitely look for a new doctor.
I am sorry you are going through this tough time.

I also felt like I made a mistake by getting the hysterectomy. I didn't have cancer either. I tried many treatments before surgery. So I thought that I was doing the right thing.

Things will get better. Sending hugs.

Thank you so much.
Unread 11-17-2021, 08:38 AM

I have hardly any sensation in my clitoris are too. In January, there was a burning sensation, like someone put hot sauce down there and then it all went numb. Don’t we have the most fun??? No wonder we all go crazy! Severe lower abdominal pain. None of my doctors know what to do with me. Can’t find a functional doctor accepting patients. If people weren’t so scared of dying from Covid, we might be able to get some help. Life is grand. When is God coming for us?
Unread 11-17-2021, 10:18 AM

Sorry to hear you are having these issues. It may be time to look into a more frequent pellet dosage, or even a new method altogether. Re the regrets, you aren't alone in that. I deeply regret my hysterectomy as well, as my problems probably could have been solved with a common herb that costs less than $10 per month. This same herb, vitex, has even proven helpful post-hysterectomy, but it would have been handy to know about it before!

Use your energy to come to terms with the situation, and whatever you do, don't be afraid. Whatever will be will be. Fear makes it more difficult to cope with problems, and has no benefit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register