Scheduled TVH question about hormones | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question about hormones question about hormones

Unread 01-16-2010, 07:27 PM
question about hormones

unfortunately, I wish I had found this site sooner - my total vaginal hysterectomy is scheduled for Tues the 19th and I've only now had time to come on this evening and post these questions.

I am worried (and ignorant) about how this operation is going to affect my hormone levels, and consequently my health and well-being.

Will there be a shock to my system of suddenly being without ovaries? I eat a fair amount of soy products, a natural source of estrogen and am wondering if that is enough to mitigate the effects of not having estrogen-producing ovaries? HRT is not an option for me.

Will I still be getting progesterone? I am realizing now how very uniformed I am about what is going on and it troubling to say the least.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Re: question about hormones

In my opinion and from coming to this site for over a year, every woman is unique. I cannot say how your body will react without HRT because I am taking Premarin and it has worked very well for me. I can say that yes, I am sure your body will be affected by the loss of your own natural horomones. I would definitely make sure to address your concerns with your doctor to find the best way to deal with any of the possible discomforts you may experience. One thing I know from my experience is that it was such a relief to have it done with and to feel better!
Good luck to you and my thoughts are with you and all others that are having surgery.
Unread 01-16-2010, 11:01 PM

From what I understand... you won't need progesterone any longer becuse you won't have your uterus.

I do know of a few women who have been able to get around not using estrogen since they were not suffering any ill affects of menopause. They have used natural supplements, soy products, and so forth.

As 86gmc mentioned, every woman is different/unique. Some seem to be able to get around not using HRT, and some are plagued with hormonal problems that keep them hunting for the right med and the right dosage.

Another thing to consider is your age. If you are already in menopause your needs will vary greatly from a woman who has not reached natural menopause yet.

I myself will having my TAH BSO in Feb and I am at the age of 45. 45 seems to be the cut off age for many physicians who recomend removing the overies with a hysterectomy. The average woman goes through natural memopause between 50 and 51. Surgical menopause is harder to deal with than going through natural menopause.

The best thing you can do is talk to your physician about all your concerns. If you are not a candiate for HRT, talk about alternatives. I can't take HRT because of first degree family members, (mom, dad and siblings) with reproductive cancers. However, I do need HRT for my heart condition. If I don't take it, I risk the serious chance of having a heart attack. I am kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Wishing you luck and a speedy recovery with your surgery on Tuesday!!!! Keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2010, 06:26 AM

thank you for your kind and considerate replies.

"I myself will having my TAH BSO in Feb and I am at the age of 45. 45 seems to be the cut off age for many physicians who recommend removing the ovaries with a hysterectomy."

Can you tell me why this is so because I am 58 and will be having both ovaries removed. I am going through menopause now and removal of the uterus has been indicated because two attempts to get a uterine lining biopsy have been unsuccessful, so the only alternative is to remove the uterus in order to get access. (I have been having unusually long periods and a sonogram revealed that my uterine lining was 11cm and should be around 4). I elected to go ahead and remove the ovaries as well since my younger sister had breast cancer and I know that ovarian cancer is pretty much a death sentence.

Thanks! Tess
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:06 PM

As others have said, everyone's experience is very different. I am 40 so I was not in menopause but was thrown into surgical menopause immediately.

I never had a single hot flash or any severe symptoms. I will say that my emotions were difficult after a few weeks but they seem to have leveled off.

There were some significantly strange symptoms at first like blurry eyesight and headaches for the first few weeks but that went away as well.

My doc did not want me to go on HRT unless my symptoms were really bad so I am not taking anything and am doing fine.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 01-17-2010, 03:41 PM

Vegantess -

The "45" cut-off is that seems to be around the time many women go into menopause naturally. So Dr.s are being proactive.

My personal opinion is that some Drs don't realize how much loss of the ovaries and hormones can impact you if you aren't menopausal.

I can't tell you what to do but can only tell you my experience....
At the time of my surgery I was not menpausal and was 50.5. I wanted to keep my ovaries but due to a cancer diagnosis I wasn't allowed (concern the cancer is estrogen dependent). Everyone kept saying "well you've only got a couple more years of use anyway", not really true since the ovaries produce estrogen throughout your lifetime but at lower levels.

I want into a horrid surgical menopause 5 days after my surgery. I had a killer headache for 3 days that nothing would touch (drug withdrawal, in my opinion of dramatically reduced estrogen). Hot flashes were awful. Started to experience vaginal dryness and my uro-gyn believes it triggered an auto-immune vulvar skin condition that hits some women post menopause.

I am on vaginal estrogen and we're experimenting with testosterone for libido.

to you for researching and thinking about your decision.

G.
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:34 PM

Thanks and HUGS to all of you for the really solid and caring information. I I am a bit nervous about tomorrow but resolved and hopeful. I plan to be posting about my experience and results. God Bless!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register