When did you drive? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When did you drive? When did you drive?

Unread 05-14-2003, 08:39 AM
When did you drive?

Hello, ladies! I had a TVH on May 5, and I have been feeling very good. So good, that I am having to remind myself that my dr told me not to drive for 2 weeks! One friend was able to drive after she came off the pain meds, which I haven't had in days. With 3 dear children, but only 1 DH, it's getting tempting...

When did you dear hyster sisters (with vaginal surgeries) drive?

Karyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2003, 09:04 AM
When did you drive?

karyn1022, I had a TVH on April 17th and was not allowed to drive for two weeks either.
Unread 05-14-2003, 09:09 AM
When did you drive?

I was release to drive in short trips after my one week check up. However, I didn't feel comfortable enough to do so until about the 2 !/2 week mark. Once the doctor says you can, go out and sit in the car. Push HARD on the brake. See if that bothers you. Then see if you can turn in the seat to be able to back up, etc. I wanted to make sure I could stop in an emergency if I needed to, without causing me any serious pain or injury. Once I did drive at 2 1/2 weeks, I found my concentration wasn't as sharp as it could be and I really had to force myself to pay attention to the road. I wasn't really comfortable driving until the 4th or 5th week. I kept my early trips to emergency runs to the store for a few items. (If you shop once you're out, remember you shouldn't be lifting heavy grocery sacks and that you'll get tired quickly). Don't get caught in the "Hooray! I"m out, let's do something" syndrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2003, 09:10 AM
When did you drive?

I had a LAVH on 4/22 and started driving (small trips) at 10 days. My d/c instructions said one week. 'Course my d/c instructions say I can resume intercourse at 4 weeks, but I don't see the at all until I am 6 weeks post-op which makes no sense to me.
Unread 05-14-2003, 09:29 AM
When did you drive?

I totally agree with Nancy. I started driving at 2 weeks. I had been off pain killers a week already and thought it would be fine. I was so ready to get out on my own and quickly found out that I couldn't concentrate on the road. It really took alot of effort. I am 3 weeks out and it is getting better. I am still only able to ride in the car about 30 min. or so. I hope it gets better quickly.
Unread 05-14-2003, 09:51 AM
When did you drive?

I drove at 3 and 1/2 weeks and it was still very uncomfortable. I didn't drive again until last night (4 and 1/2 weeks) and it was much better. If you have an automatic transmission you may be more comfortable than I was. It was pushing in the clutch that hurt.
Unread 05-14-2003, 10:57 AM
When did you drive?

My first day driving was yesterday. My vag was 4/30. I used a small pillow under the seat belt and it helped with the bumps. Its really the unexpected bumps you take in the car that are the problem. All that jostling can take a tole on those healing areas. You are not prepared to brace for them and they hurt. I went for a ride at four days and found out all about that, decided to stay out of a car for a while. So today, I go see my doc for my two weeks and one day. Two weeks really isn't forever.
Unread 05-14-2003, 11:02 AM
When did you drive?

I started driving after 4 weeks. The first trip was to the school, the bank, and the grocery store for milk. The whole trip couldn't have lasted more than 15 minutes, but when I came home, my right leg felt like it was on fire! I took a heating pad and used it from the ankle to the hip before the pain went away. (I have had leg pain since surgery due to the way I was positioned during surgery, so you might not have the leg pain that I had. I pray you do not.)
I now drive with a pillow, and it helps tremendously. I'd like to add something that I read on this web site before. If you don't have your doc's permission to drive and you happen to have an accident, insurance might not cover it. So make sure you're cleared to go before you start the ignition. Good luck to you, Aunt May
Unread 05-14-2003, 11:48 AM
When did you drive?

My TVH was April 14th. I was given permission to drive at 10 days, but I was not ready yet. My car is low to the ground, and scooting behind the wheel put a lot of pressure on those tender areas. It didn't really, hurt , just felt pressure. Now I drive short trips every day.

On Mother's Day, our family drove 80 miles to visit my mom. I did not drive, but I slept in the back of the van on the bed. It was NOT fun.

I have had no pain since my surgery, only moments of discomfort, so I was really surprised how badly I felt when I got home. I will not make that trip again for a long time.

mss
Unread 05-14-2003, 11:53 AM
driving

I drove at 9 days after a TAH. I had no pain at all. I could stomp the brakes, turn around, and was off of pain meds. Check with your dr. then do what you feel like doing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register