Anxiety/panic attacks??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anxiety/panic attacks??? Anxiety/panic attacks???

Unread 09-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Anxiety/panic attacks???

Hi All,

Just wondering if any of the symptoms mentioned in my other thread (Dizzy/lightheadedness) could be due to aniety or panic attacks. I have never had these prior to hyst. A dear friend suggested that perhaps this could be the cause (she suffers from panick disorder & said that she often feels this way!)

Have any of you noticed an increase in you'r anxiety level or inability to cope??? Could the trauma of surgery put us in this mode & if so does it dissapate after so many months? Would love to hear other's input!

Thanks!

tum-e-trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Anxiety/panic attacks???

Since my hysterectomy in 2001, I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks. I never had them before the surgery. I have noticed that they have gotten less frequent in time. I, too, suffer from dizziness and lightheadedness; there again only since after my surgery. I believe it will all get better in time. Hysterectomies and hormonal issues just reek havoc on our bodies.

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
Unread 09-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Anxiety/panic attacks???

I had my surgery in March of this year and I began to suffer from panic attacks and anxiey at 4 weeks post-op. They were SEVERE and, prior to my surgery, I had never experienced them. They have subsided over time and I pray they continue to go away and never, ever return again. But I understand what you are going through and I know it can be tough. Hang in there. "This too shall pass."
Unread 09-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Thank You For This Post!!!

I am losing my mind today and had a panic attack tonight. I suffered from a bad depressive episode many years ago when my son died, and I had panic attacks then. I have been off the antidepresants for almost 9 years and have not had a panic attack in probably 6 years. Today I just started on a crying jag that will not stop. I was crying so hard that I feel like I pulled something loose inside and my physical pain got worse. I finally went and took a Xanax (still had some lying around just in case) I know it is hormone related and fortunately have my one week check up tomorrow. I will definitely get my doctor to do some bloodwork or SOMETHING to figure out how to regulate my anxiety and mood. Living with chronic pain and bleeding was bad enough, but I certainly do not want to trade the physical pain for an emotional hell. Please continue to share your stories and suggestions.

Thanks so much - I am still an emotional wreck, but feel better knowing that if others are having the same problem, there is a legitimate medical cause for my distress!
Unread 09-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Anxiety/panic attacks???

Thanks so much ladies!

I do find comfort in knowing I am not alone. I called my GP this morning & have an appt next week--soonest they could get me in! I just keep crying. I guess I am not used to feeling so vulnerable & just want some relief. I did do a search & found a website all about anxiety & panic disorders & many of the people posting described everything I feel. In the area that discusses these issues it mentions that many women get this during perimenopause & menopause even if they never have had troubles in the past!

Thanks again everyone--I would still love to hear what you tried that worked in order to lessen these symptoms!

Hugs,
tum-e-trouble
Unread 09-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Anxiety/panic attacks???

Hi there

I started having panic attacks after the birth of my 2nd baby (18 years ago). I was 25 at the time and I had Post natal depression resulting in anxiety and panic disorder. It did get better and I didn't take any medication, however I have had several episodes over the years where I would have panic attacks all the time for 6 months to a year and then they would stop and maybe 2/3 years later I would start getting them again and so on.

Anyway after my hyst. I was an emotional wreck and very depressed so finally I took Zoloft (only 50mg) and I haven't had a panic attack since. The panic attacks I had weren't just a bit of anxiety either, a lot of the time I would end up at the emergency department at hospital as the attacks were so bad, I felt like I couldn't breath and was sure I was going to die. They are the worst thing. The last bout of panic attacks I had seemed to mainly happen at night, they would wake me out of a deep sleep and I was absolutely beside myself. I'm so glad I finally took the medication, it has been a God send. I have a friend who also suffers anxiety and she only needs (25mg) and that works for her.

I hope you find the solution. Anxiety/panic is a horrible thing to deal with.
Unread 09-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Anxiety/panic attacks???

Thank you Caz1! I hope my Gp feels the same way & will prescribe something so I can get relief! Just jumped on the treadmill for a while & it seemed to help knock it down a few notches :-)

Hugs
tum-e-trouble
Unread 09-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Anxiety/panic attacks???

Carmen, is Zoloft something you take every day? I just saw my NP this morning to have the Femring checked and she suggested I may need to try a low dose for panick attacks. She wants me to try the .05 Femring for one more month, then either up the dose, take Zoloft, or both.

I too had panick attacks years ago after the birth of my son 25 years ago, but I have not had them until a few months after my hysterectomy. Then they came back. It has to be hormone related. Does the Zoloft help or hurt with sleep issues for you?

Thanks.
Unread 09-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Anxiety/panic attacks???

For my panic attacks, I was put on Ativan daily for a year or so. I eventually went off of them and now only take it when I feel an attack coming on. Otherwise, I just wait 10-15 minutes until the attack is over then try to distract myself. Ativan is a tranquillizer that is a bit milder than the SSRI's such as Zoloft, Prozac, etc... Ativan works great for me. Just a suggestion.
Unread 09-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Anxiety/panic attacks???

I posted this in a couple of other threads, but wanted to make sure you ladies heard it. I saw the nurse practitioner today and she immediately said my estrogen was too low. She had me add a second vivelle dot patch, and within minutes I was feeling better. This may or may not be helpful, but it may be worthwhile to have your doctors check your hormone levels to find out whether you need anxiety/antidepressants or an adjustment in hormones.

I hope everyone is feeling better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register