Small Things That Went A Long Way | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Small Things That Went A Long Way Small Things That Went A Long Way

Unread 09-27-2021, 03:46 PM
Small Things That Went A Long Way

I didn’t expect this post to be so long, but I hope it helps someone.

Pillows
I had four pillows on my bed to start, two for me, two for husband. I bought a travel pillow, and another full size pillow before surgery. I probably could have purchased an additional full size since I believe I stole one of my husbands for a night or two. Your comfort is going to change day to day after surgery. Some nights I needed a pillow between my legs, and some days too, but others it was a no go. Some nights I needed to be propped up high, others I didn’t. Some nights my travel pillow felt great under my belly, but most nights it just hurt to have it there. So pillows are a great purchase.

Stool softeners
Honestly I complained about this when the doctor prescribed it.The pre surgery scrip was a bowel prep for surgery. I had docusate twice a day and miralax once a day for five days and I have to say after the stories I’ve read about constipation I’m beyond grateful for this. I’ve also been on the docusate twice a day since surgery. If your doctor doesn’t prescribe something ask for something. Something gentle on the intestines that works with your own body’s function. I have been beyond grateful as I was able to have a mostly painless bowel movement (I know, ewww, right?) the day after surgery and I’ve been regular ever since. For me this was huge since the bowel contractions just quite a bit.

Somewhere comfortable to land
After surgery, you need somewhere you can be comfortable and uninterrupted when you need to sleep. For me it was my bedroom. Somewhere I knew I could just veg out, that was clean and I wouldn’t be in anyone’s way. My recliner was also a life saver, it gave me a second place to be.

Miscellaneous items
I didn’t buy the binders or the support wear. I’m not even sure I would have been able to endure them. Pushing on my stomach was too much, but it did feel like everything in my abdomen fell forward where ever I got up the first few days. So anything binding was a bust for me. Ice and hot packs. I used both while in the hospital the ice for my stitches, the heat for the gas in my shoulders which actually did seem to help. At home I used heat for my pelvis after a hard cough, and ice on my sore tendon/muscles (or whatever) in my right side, which hurt more than my left.

Walk
I was up at 5 in the morning, the morning after surgery(about 12 hours after surgery), and walking. I made it several doors from my room and back and had my catheter out right after. I didn’t stop from that point on. Every hour or so I was up and around my room. I feel like this really helped with not only the surgery gas, but intestinal gas, and healing my body. I still get up about every hour at home, and I feel great, with only the mildest of symptoms.

Water
I was drinking a minimum of 9 cups of water up until a few days ago. I feel like this helped my bladder since it has been smooshed under my 14week uterus, and 10cm fibroid. I knew my bladder had been having trouble since I was urinating so often before surgery, but the relief of it feeling almost normal again after surgery has been amazing. I can hold my urine (not go immediately upon urge), and my bladder hasn’t been a rock in my stomach awakening me in the middle of the night multiple times a night since surgery.

Doctor
I stuck by my surgeon because she was the first and only doctor to actually take my pain seriously. I have been begging doctors for years for something more than 800 mg Motrin for my cramps as it upsets my stomach and barely works. My doctor gave me muscle relaxers, recommended I speak to other doctors if I was unsure of her diagnosis, and let me come to her to schedule my surgery when I was ready. She opened up days in her schedule specifically for me as I was a special, and ongoing bleeding case. She didn’t rush me, she let me ask her and her team my long list of questions, and never made me feel stupid or as if I was taking up too much of her or her teams time, and when it came down to surgery she did everything she could (safely and within reason) not to give me a bikini cut even though my fibroid turned out to be larger than previously thought. My surgeon took care of me, and even offered the images from my surgery. I have suffered since I started menstruating with pain and heavy periods, and she and her team were the only ones to ever make me feel heard.

Research
First, if this is going to upset you, only do the minimum. Find out what will be removed, and what will stay. Don’t let all the things that could go wrong paralyze you. Only do the amount of research that will not stress you out. The better you feel before surgery the better you’ll feel coming out. I read everything I could find and wish I hadn’t. It caused too much distress that I didn’t need. I ended up having to shut all that out, and remember to trust my (wonderful, thorough) doctor. Don’t leave yourself uninformed, and feeling like you didn’t get enough information. It’s your job to ask the questions, it’s your job to learn, and any doctor who doesn’t support that doesn’t deserve to get paid to cut you open.

Forgive your body
This one is personal. I was very angry at my body for a long time. My body created this vampiric beast that tried to kill me. I wondered how I could ever learn to trust it again. Even if you feel betrayed by your body, accept that this may have been its was of protecting you. No one 100% knows what causes most uterine issues. Everyone has a hypothesis, but know that your body is doing its best to protect you and keep you living. Whatever is going wrong to cause you to need surgery is your bodies way of defending itself and telling you it’s in trouble. And sometimes bodies just go wrong. Your body is perfectly imperfect, and the things in our food, and our air don’t help our bodies.

Last one, I promise
Anger at the medical community
This one was personal too. Just because the options suck, and you don’t want any of them, and women should have as many treatment options as men, doesn’t mean that this is the worst thing that could happen to you. This surgery may be the best. If you believe in a higher power, it is allowing this to happen to help you. This is the only option this higher power can offer you. It created medicine, and whether it’s as advanced as we think it should be or not, it is here to help you. Your higher power loves you, and wants to help, and protect you, so let it. Do your research, pray about it, and make a choice. Don’t let other people’s experiences force you into something you don’t want, and by the same token, don’t shy away from something that could be good for you. You are perfectly imperfect. Your body is amazing, and if it can, it will heal. If you take care of it, it will heal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register