New with questions about options | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New with questions about options New with questions about options

Unread 10-18-2010, 05:23 PM
New with questions about options

Hi all,
I'm so glad to have found these forums with lots of information to read to help me along in this journey.

I'm 45 and have had severe cramping and flooding for about two years. (Flooding = going through a "jumbo" tampon in an hour and waking up covered to my knees in blood. Yuck.) Last week I had an ultrasound and biopsy. The only thing that showed up was that my uterus is about 5 times thicker than it should be. She found no fibroids or cancer. She did note several places that didn't look normal but the uterus was so thick that she couldn't tell what those places were.

I'm not too keen on having a D & C, going on hormones, or other temporary measures that will simply prolong the need for a hysterectomy. Our insurance changes for the worse in January 2011, so that puts pressure on me too.

The only medical history I have in this type of thing is that I had a uterine suspension after the birth of my second child about 19 years ago. I was told that my uterus was sutured to my abdomen. I did go on and have a third child and had no problems.

So...I guess my question is...in light of no horrible type of medical diagnosis, is it a good idea to "push" for a hysterectomy? I'm really tired of dealing with this each month.

Any suggestions/thoughts are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Re: New with questions about options

I am glad you have found HysterSisters and I hope we can offer you helpful support and information for your situation!

Personally, unless you are in a life or death situation, I do not recommend "pushing" for a hysterectomy. Why? A hysterectomy is a major, irreversible surgery with its own set of risks and side effects. Thus, before going that route, you want to exhaust the less invasive measures first. Also, a hysterectomy is not a cure all for all gynecological issues so if you head into OR you want to know that it will resolve your specific issue.

Have you had a second opinion yet about what is causing your symptoms and what your options might be? If not, I would encourage you to do so before you make your final decision. I would also advise looking for a gynecological surgeon vs. an OB/GYN if you can simply because those doctors tend to do far more surgeries than doctors who practice obstetrics and thus can have exceptional surgical skills.

I completely understand wanting to get this done before your surgery chances, but don't rush into a decision you might regret. We do have ladies on the site who regret their surgery because all did not go well, they have new, worse health issues, and/or the emotions of it all are overwhelming.

I try not to think about whether or not I regret my hysterectomy. It did stop my bleeding and was necessary for me and my situation. However, I did have a lot of complications that extended my hospital stay and recovery, added doctors, tests, and treatments which increased the costs (doubly since my insurance changed during it all so I had meet a second, higher deductible with less coverage), and left my body with compromised heath and my pocket empty!

We each have to weigh our own pros and cons to determine what is best for us. Knowing what is causing the thickened endometrium and what the risks involved are for this situation could help you weigh your pros and cons better.

Unread 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM

Talk to your Dr about your issues & any fears you have. There are a lot of options, but until you talk to the Dr, you won't know which ones are right for you. Prolonged heavy bleeding can cause anemia. If you only bleed heavily once in a blue moon, an Ablation might be the answer.

Hugs & prayers for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2010, 08:12 AM

Thanks ladies for your thought! Yes, the heavy bleeding and heavy cramping is every month. I plan my outings and work day around it so that I don't get stuck in public. The cramping is most of the month...there are about 5 days when I don't have that issue. During my period, it becomes severe.

So, that's that. I have a doctor's appointment next week, so hopefully she'll reveal more about what she found (or didn't find).

Thanks again!
Unread 10-20-2010, 08:46 AM

You need to make sure you have exhausted all you are willing to "try". I say that because you will then know that you are ready for such a "permanent" surgery and willing to deal with what comes from it. A little over 5 years ago I began bleeding extremely heavy every 28 days and it got even worse after my 3rd baby. It became heavier and longer, and then got even worse with the birth of my 4th child 3 1/2 years ago. My cycle was 28 days, lasting anywhere from 11-14 days, with almost a week of it debilitating. The pain prior to it starting and the emotional rollercoaster was more than I could handle. The endometrial biopsy showed nothing, the sonograms showed nothing, I was considering an ablation. I tried 5 different "birth control" options over the coarse of the last 3 years, and the final one was an IUD that was so painful that I had to have it out on emergency at day 52,,,with no explanation why it was hurting. Through all these options I did not stop bleeding....at least when I was on nothing I would stop for about 2weeks. At this point I was unwilling to "try" anything else,,,,I became "ok" with the thought of a hysterectomy....that was suggested to me 3 years ago. Only you, with the knowledge of your doctor, and the information you can gather with your own experience, expectations, and desires can make such an important decision. I am 39 1/2 years old and have had a FANTASIC experience and recovery and I am so glad so far that I have had the surgery. For me, anythig that "could" happen post op I was more willing to tolerate than the "nasty bleeding" every month. I have since CELEBRATED two cycles and will continue for the rest of my new life now. Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register