Choices | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Choices

When I first posted last week I didn't really know what to say or how to say it. I was more or less in shock that something could be wrong with me because I've always been so healthy. My Dr. believes that I have endo but no real test have been done yet. He put me on progestrine and that was a nightmare. After 10 days I called and said, "No more!" He tells me now that my only options are lupren or hyst. I know that I don't have it as bad as some women on here when it comes to bleeding but the pain is so bad that I can't think straight or really function. My period only last for 3 days but it's very heavy for the first 2 days. I also have spot bleeding afterwards. Even after my period I have some pain from time to time for no real reason. Although it's not as bad, I still feel like yuck. I'm 28 and have one daughter. I had a tubal almost 4 yrs ago so I don't want anymore children. I'm not so sure that I want to try the lupren after some of the things I've read or heard and am thinking very seriously about just having a hyst to be done with it all. I have an app. for a 2nd opinion next month and for an ultra-sound as well to rule out other possible causes. Any thoughts or experiences that you could share would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Choices

Hi Frenchie,

Endo is a tough road. I was diagnosed about 1 year after I had my daughter. I was however diagnosed with a laparoptic surgery. This is really the only way to positively diagnose endo. I also had a lap to laser off the endo. It made me feel better for about a year. I lived with a lot of the pain and the heavy bleeding. I too only had a 3 day period but It was heavy day one and day two. It is a tough decision. I finally made it when the pain moved to my right side and I was in the ER thinking my appendix must have ruptured, just to pretty much find out the endo spread to the right side. I wouldn't take Lupron, I had a friend who did and it was a horror story. I lived on pain meds for the past year. A hyst also is not a cure for endo, especially if you use Estrogen Replacement. Endo feeds off of Estrogen and it isn't a guarentee they get all the endo with a hyst. So you do have another choice to have the endo removed via laparascopic sugery, It will grow back but it may buy you some time. The endo has probably attached itself to your tubes especially where you had them tied.

I am 4 weeks post op and sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing. I think I did but dealing with the hormone trouble is also tough. Some women do fine others have a tougher time. It all depends.

So Unfortunatly I probably didn't help, but I want you to know that you get to make the final decision. It is your body and you do have a say what happens to it.

Good Luck and let me know how you are doing.

Unread 12-11-2003, 10:49 AM
Choices

Dear Frenchie,

I have endo, and it took me a couple years and several doctors to get a clear diagnosis. The laparoscopy is crucial - only then will your doctor really know what is going on, and while they are in looking they may be able to do some treatment. My doctor lasered off quite a bit of scar tissue when she did the initial lap.

You might also want to ask your doctor about doing a hysteroscopy at the same time - that's when they actually put a scope inside the uterus, so they can see what's happening in there.

Good luck!

Best,

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2003, 06:56 AM
Choices

I didn't know anything about putting a scope inside to look but if it is in the uterine wasll they still won't be able to see would they? I will certainly have laparos. done to make sure of what it is before I take the next step. Right now it's just a waiting game until middle of next month. Could you tell me what TAH and BSO are? I don't know any of the lengo rreall good yet.
Unread 12-12-2003, 07:14 AM
Choices

Frenchie,

When I had my lap/hysteroscopy, it confirmed the presence of the fibroids. It was later, when I had a hystosonogram (in my doctor's office) that she was able to determine the exact locations. I would suggest asking the doctor exactly what procedures will be performed, and making sure they do as thorough a search as possible while they're in there.

Best,

Leslie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register