C-section vs. Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

C-section vs. Hysterectomy C-section vs. Hysterectomy

Unread 01-01-2006, 12:47 PM
C-section vs. Hysterectomy

I had a Classic C-section with my daughter. I am wondering if anyone has a pain comparison between the two surgeries.
My surgery is scheduled for 1/26. I just remember with my c-section feeling discomfort, swelling and feeling as though my guts were going to fall out.
I am starting to get alittle nervous!
Jeannine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2006, 12:58 PM

i had a c-section with my daughter in 96 had a tvh nov 28, didnt feel like my guts were going to fall out this time still had some discomfort, but nothing meds wouldnt take care of.
Unread 01-01-2006, 01:02 PM

I posed that very question to my DR on Friday when I went in to see him with my list of questions. He mentioned to me that I was younger when I had my last c-section (12years) and the only thing they did durning the c-section was take a child out. This time they have lots of cutting and moving and stuff to do. He never said it would hurt more he just pointed out all the other things they have to do this time. My guess is a fair amount more discomfort. I am prepared for the worst and hopeing for less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2006, 01:09 PM

Had a c-section in 1998 and am having the same uncomfort as far as getting up and down..although I will say I had an epedural in 98 and had general anesthesia with my TAH...this was the big difference. I experienced minimal pain after c-section, but tremendous pain after TAH...make sure they give you pain meds while you are under...I think they forgot to do this for me...they waited until I was in recovery to give me any decent meds. Goode Luck
Unread 01-01-2006, 01:21 PM

(((Jneen30))),

Honesty, I had less pain after my SAH, but it took a lot longer to recover. I also followed all of my Dr's instructions and the Checkpoints guidelines found here on HysterSisters. You have much more internal healing after a hysterectomy, and overdoing it can cause more pain and discomfort.

S,
Kay
Unread 01-01-2006, 01:54 PM

I agree with Kay. I also had an SAH and compared with three previous c-sections there was less pain immediately following, but I can see that my overall recovery will take a bit longer. The difference is you don't have other issues to contend with i.e. a hungry baby in the middle of the night, breast engorgement, afterpains, etc., but you also don't have that wonderful baby to distract you. The challenge is keeping your mind busy. Best of luck.
Heather
Unread 01-01-2006, 05:38 PM

I actually experienced more pain with the c-sections I had. With my TAH I got the morphine pump. However, I do notice that recovery is longer with this surgery than with the c-sections. Alot more was done this time.
Best of wishes to you.
Unread 01-01-2006, 06:21 PM

I had less pain with my hysterectomy than my c-section. I was given more pain medicine. But, I feel so tired and emotional.
Unread 01-01-2006, 09:51 PM

I had more than 13 years between my c-section and hyst, so I find it difficult to compare them. I do think, though, that my recovery with my hyst has been taking much longer. One thing that I know is the same is when you have to laugh, sneeze or cough. Those feel exactly the same.
Unread 01-01-2006, 10:01 PM

Hi

I've had 2 C-sections and had TAH in November. The only similarity between the 2 for me was the incision site.

I found recovery after the C-sections relatively straight
forward - and I suppose you are also enjoying parenthood.

Immediate post op seemed similar, but as some one else mentioned in the TAH they move lots of your internal organs around, for me this caused considerable pain. and I have been surprised at the tiredness and inability to think logically.

Take care of yourself and accept all offers of help

kiwimax

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register