Sorry 2 more question re: pain and "sleepy ovaries" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sorry 2 more question re: pain and "sleepy ovaries" Sorry 2 more question re: pain and "sleepy ovaries"

Unread 02-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Sorry 2 more question re: pain and "sleepy ovaries"

What has helped you all out besides narcotics? With the bronchitis the pain is very bad and my doc won't give me any more percocet even though I have no drug use or addiction history. They are suggesting 800 mg of Motrin every 4-6 hours. It is helping a bit but there is still a lot of pain. Has anyone tried naproxen?

Also, I still have both of my ovaries. I know they sometimes "sleep" for a while. I am having horrible hot flashes several times a day. Do any of you know how long this will last? I am so tired of it already and may need HRT and I really really don't want that even temporarily.

Suggestions? What helps with the hot flashes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Re: Sorry 2 more question re: pain and "sleepy ovaries"

I'm thinking your DR might not want to give you stronger pain relief because of the binding effects they can give. You can't afford any constipation after a hysterectomy.

I am a fan of Aleve, especially like the liquidgels. The naproxen always helped with my menstrual problems (obviously prior to this, lol) so I always seem to go back to Aleve when my pain is crampy/achy as it was after my hysterectomy.

Feel better soon!
Unread 02-18-2012, 04:26 PM

Motrin should help with the pain. If it doesn't, you could ask for a non-narcotic pain medication such as Tramadol or Toradol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 06:19 PM

Thanks ladies.

Catherine,

I will call the doc again Monday if I am not doing any better and ask about those two meds. I just hurt so much!
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:57 PM

The "sleepy ovaries" wake up at different times for different women. Mine woke up after a few weeks but for some women it's a few months. I did not have hot flashes, I was an emotional weeping puddle. I suggest talking to your doctor about your discomfort. Sometimes temporary HRT is a blessing.
Unread 02-19-2012, 03:11 PM

I'm 5 weeks and 2 days post op and last week I was aninsane mess. I was really an emotional wreck for no good reason whatsoever...I was suspicious, paranoid, sad, crying, waking in a panic...it was CRAZY! That lasted for about 3 days. I'm feeling COMPLETELY like myself again (thank God). I hope I NEVER go through that again.
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:01 PM

Pain-wise, I took 800mg of ibuprofen & 1000mg of acitometophine (sp? = tylenol) evEr 4-6hr depending on pain - worked wonders - periodically, I took Tramadol.

Sleepy ovaries woke up mostly by week 7. Things were getting better by wk 3 but I remained a bit up & down for a while. My girfriend did take HRT for 6 months and swears it was the best. Perhaps your Dr can check your hormone levels to see where your are.
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:29 PM

I was hoping for sleepy ovaries to wake up sooner than that. Is it always so intense? I have been mostly feeling like I have an absence of emotion. Has anyone else had that? D
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLW3397 View Post
I was hoping for sleepy ovaries to wake up sooner than that. Is it always so intense? I have been mostly feeling like I have an absence of emotion. Has anyone else had that? D
I'm not sure if the "absence of emotion" you describe is similar to what I've been experiencing but it sounds similar. I have always (for most of my life) tended to have very little patience and have always had to really restrain myself from speaking before thinking. Since my surgery I have found that's all changed. Things that bothered me before don't even matter. I feel so much calmer than I felt before and I hope it stays this way. I'm thinking maybe I had too much hormone stuff going on before. Maybe it's better now that I have only one ovary!
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlac59 View Post
I'm not sure if the "absence of emotion" you describe is similar to what I've been experiencing but it sounds similar. I have always (for most of my life) tended to have very little patience and have always had to really restrain myself from speaking before thinking. Since my surgery I have found that's all changed. Things that bothered me before don't even matter. I feel so much calmer than I felt before and I hope it stays this way. I'm thinking maybe I had too much hormone stuff going on before. Maybe it's better now that I have only one ovary!
I have never been accused of holding back, or being calm. That may be a nice change of pace.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register