Second Opinion | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Second Opinion Second Opinion

Unread 06-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Second Opinion

Hello. I went for my second opinion today and the doctor agreed that I should have the hysterectomy. She did differ on her oppinion of keeping the ovaries. I explained that I had mild endo on my right ovary along with adenomyosis and she said that everything should come out because endo feeds of the hormones your ovaries produce. So leaving them in would not cure the pain and eventually I would need a second surgury to remove them. She didn't talk about the adenomyosis at all. She did say she felt adhesions or lumps or something when she did the pelvic exam and that my uterus was enlarged. When I asked about the cervix she stated that it is a cancer breeding ground or something like that and that is why they do paps every year so that should definately come out. I have been trying to decide on keeping it or losing it, but am still undecided. As for my ovaries, I am gonna go with my first doctor. I am 30 years old and not ready for HRT. If things don't work out and I do need to have them removed later because of endo, I beleive it is just a laproscopic procedure. I'm not saying that like it's no big deal, beleive me, I just went through laprascopy/hysteroscopy a couple of months ago, I'm just saying it won't be as involved as the hysterectomy. So I just called my doctor to schedule the hysterectomy and was told the earliest I could get in is the first or second week in August which is OK with me because even though I am ready to be done with this, I am scared as hell and I need a few months to convince myself this is the right thing to do. And with any luck some miracle cure will come out before then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Second Opinion

Jennifer -

I'm also going to try to keep the ovaries. I'm older than you but still don't want to go into surgical menopause if I don't have to. My doctor says keeping one ovary is enough to prevent that but I want to keep both as long as there's no good reason to remove them.

We talked about what would happen if the ovaries go bad. While he said that he doesn't want to minimize the procedure to remove them, it's much easier and less invasive than the hysterectomy will be.

I'm leaning strongly to keeping the cervix, provided it looks OK when they go in. I'm having an abdominal procedure, so I have a choice, at least at the moment.

Searchgal
Unread 06-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Second Opinion

JenniferA,

I agree with Searchgal on trying to keep your cervix.

As far as your Dr. saying the cervix is a "breeding ground for cancer", that can be true in some cases. I can suggest you ask your surgery Dr. for the statistics on cervical cancer. My Dr. said it was between 3-5%. So, pretty low. And, if cervical cancer does OR does not run in your family, that can add to your decision too.

My Dr. said the advantages of keeping the cervix were future pelvic support, precludes bladder problems and aids with sexual relations.

Also - check with your Dr. to see if he/she would plan to cauterize your cervix, if you are able to keep it. That precludes the "min-period" you might have read about.

Good Luck. Getting different opinions and doing your research is always the best thing to do!! And, you are doing that!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2004, 05:48 PM
cervix

Hey girls. I think you might be right about keeping it. I don't believe there is any family hystory of cervical cancer and I am hearing more and more about pelvic support and better sexual function when you keep it. Also that is the second time I heard the cervix can be cauterized to prevent mini-periods which I will be bringing up with my Dr. at our next visit. When I asked her about keeping it the first time she said that you could have mini-periods, but she never mentioned cauterizing it. She wants to do a vaginal hysterectomy assisted by laproscopy (I have no idea what the abbreviation is for that, there are so many!) and I am wondering if cauterizing is possible that way?
Unread 06-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Scheduled surger today

JenniferA,

I too scheduled my hyserectomy today. The tentative date is only 3 weeks away, June 28th. I too am also scared to death and need to convince myself that it is the best thing to do. I will be having a TAH-BSO. I say tentative because I wanted to schedule the best time for me work wise so I didn't want to wait to schedule as I was afraid I wouldn't get the date I wanted. But I still feel like I have control. No one says I can't cancel at the last minute.

Anyway good luck and good health to both of us!
Unread 06-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Second Opinion

JenniferA,

Hey...I AM not a Dr., and it sounds like your Dr. has you scheduled for a LAVH?? Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy. Great surgery!!

However, keeping the cervix is not an option with that type of surgery. The uterus is located "above" the cervix so in a vaginal lap the cervix has to be removed also.

Best thing is to just check with your Dr. If she mentioned keeping your cervix, it might be another surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register