Anyone else out there requesting photos of uterus/junk? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > The Polling and Petition Place

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else out there requesting photos of uterus/junk? Anyone else out there requesting photos of uterus/junk?

Unread 07-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Anyone else out there requesting photos of uterus/junk?

Yesterday when I talked to my doctor I asked if I could get a picture of the uterus after it is removed. She said no problem -- just remind her on the day of surgery. They will also weigh it so I know how heavy it is.

I don't even have to remember to bring a camera! Anyone else out there requesting to see that which has brought them so much pain???

I had briefly thought I'd want to be "awake" for the surgery (spinal only) but I think I'd rather be out for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2004, 01:26 PM

I am for sure going to ask for pictures, can't wait to see the junk and say goodbye forever. I thought I was crazy for wanting to see it, I'm glad to see someone else out there. Maybe I will make a photo album, well, maybe that's too much.

Good luck and happy recovery!!
Unread 07-22-2004, 01:35 PM

"What I did on my summer vacation"????

Like the vacation vs. hysterectomy thread? (Which, ladies, if you haven't checked it out, is perhaps the funniest thing going right now...)

Great idea. Believe it or not, my dh kind of wanted to WATCH the operation. I said no -- but I think he was disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2004, 03:45 PM

Yes, that vacation vs hyst is hilarious, it was 2 pages yesterday and 4 pages today. Love it!! There is another thread in memorable messages:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=41862

I could not stop laughing, everyone should check it out if you have not already!!
Unread 07-22-2004, 07:00 PM

Although I am going on four years post op, I just had to respond to this post. Hope you don't mind if I share with you a funny memory I have from my surgery!

I also requested pictures of my uteri that were removed when I had my TAH. I had a dydelphic uterus (which meant I had two uteri and cervix) and as I was having both removed and would never again have a chance to see them, I really wanted at least a picture. Coincidentally, I was looking at that picture a couple of nights ago.

Anyway, the day before my surgery, I decided to ask my doctor if she would consider letting me actually SEE my uteri after the surgery was over-- and wouldn't you know, she did just that! (she was a *wonderful* doctor!)

When I was in the recovery room, she came over to my bed, said "here you go" and proceded to plop a gallon sized ZIPLOC bag containing both uteri complete with both cervix into my lap.

I have to say, I had never in my wildest dreams imagined my organs toted around in the same type of bag that I pack the kids sandwiches in!

Unread 07-22-2004, 09:43 PM
pictures

I asked them to take pictures too, and I have several polaroids. I share them with my friends that show me pictures of their grandchildren, because I don't have grandchildren yet!

Everything that is taken out of you in surgery goes to the lab I think. And it is all weighed and biopsied. So the doc told me before discharge how much my uterus weighed and how that compared to a normal one. He also told me how many fibroids I had and the sizes, and also about a degenerating cyst on an ovary that no one knew I had.

It was helpful to me to see the pictures, it gave me closure, and I am a visual person, it helped to actually see what it looked like.
Unread 07-23-2004, 06:41 AM

A zip-lock in the lap. Well, that pretty much sums it up, doesn't it??? LOL

Thanks. I'm glad to know others wanted to see the guilty party like I do.
Unread 07-23-2004, 08:27 AM

Hi Ladies,

I got to choose my parting gift from the polaroids the doc had taken of my fibroid and uterus. He then "autographed" it for me with the size and weight. After I saw that, I had no doubts that surgery was the right way to go for me.

I'm planning to scan the picture and think I'll include it in a little "what I did on my summer vacation" e-mail if anybody else has the guts to make any more snide remarks about my 6-week "vacation"

Good luck everyone, to those of you who are still in the pre-op stage, it's not as bad as I thought it would be!

Unread 07-23-2004, 08:30 AM

Chris -- out of curiosity -- how big and how much did it weigh???

...if you don't mind sharing, of course !!
Unread 07-23-2004, 08:44 AM

Hey Mjd,

My fibroid was huge, just over 10 inches long, 5 wide, and 4 deep. Weighed in at 2635.4 grams, which equates to 5 lbs, 13 oz.

I now have a rather huge "dent" which will eventually fill in, but I can definitely say the operation was a good thing for me. I haven't had a single problem with back pain, my kidneys are already functioning better than they have in aa long time, and I feel pretty darn good for someone who had surgery three days ago.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register