Scheduled TVH Question pre-op with Vaginal hyster | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question pre-op with Vaginal hyster Question pre-op with Vaginal hyster

Unread 08-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Question pre-op with Vaginal hyster

I'm 42 years old with 3 kids and work full time (36 hours a week 3 12 hour shifts) as a nurse in a long term care psychiatric/behavior type nursing home. Have had painful periods since 6th grade when I started. I now have the extreme mood swings to the point a coworker asked me "Do you ever NOT have PMS" Fact is I realize it only happens about 1 1/2 weeks of the month. That means I was "normal" only about 136 days out of the year... that just isn't living. I had enough sick time and vacation time to use and if I don't use it now I will not have it as I'm planning on changing not only jobs but careers.

All things considered I am having a TVH (total vaginal hysterectomy) with a Lt. salpingo-oopherectomy. (My Rt ovary is already out due to cysts at age 30. ) The doctor has given me the option on the ovary but from what I have heard the ovary is what is the culprit of the mood swings. I plan on trying the HRT maybe a steady low level will be better suited and if that is not true I can always stop the medication. Any input here with others that had PMDD and hysterectomy would be appreciated... Also any input on the HRT and/or the ovary coming out would be of benefit...(I think)

The other thing that has me a little worried is the doctor has said that it is possible I will be able to go back to work at 2 weeks. First of all I don't want to. I work as a nurse and get infections with abdominal female surgeries (that is why they are going with the vaginal route) Secondly because I'm a nurse I do a lot of lifting and pushing. I don't know that I want to take that chance. Thirdly with the fact that I deal with patients that are not always mentally stable I put myself in danger of injury with patients mental outbursts. Fourthly- my work does not allow us to work with weight or lifting restrictions. The only thing is I get the feeling that if I do take the 5 weeks that I'm thinking of that I will seem like a wimp who manipulated the sick leave system. (That is how much sick leave, vacation, and personal time I will have so yes to a point I am manipulating that but I hate to think I'm a wimp.) He says I'll get bored over the 6 weeks... you know... I'm ok with bored. I'm a little scared about this one am I being unreasonable and a wimp? The scheduler told me if it was the female doctor she would tell me 6 weeks without question but the male doctor takes the approach of telling the minimum he will allow to be off to the maximum. I don't want to get hurt and I don't want to go back too early. (Secretly I also don't want to go back before Thanksgiving as that is the only holiday our family celebrates and I don't want to miss it... . ) Any input from those who have experienced vaginal hysters would be appreciated. How long did you take off work after your vag hyster. TIA...

For some this may seem extreme for others you will understand and want to shout "amen sister"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Re: Question pre-op with Vaginal hyster

Well, I haven't had my surgery yet, but I work at Starbucks and repeatedly do EVERYTHING we are Not supposed to do after this surgery. I plan on taking 6 weeks off, my boss knows this and is okay with it. My Dr says her patients with desk jobs can go back after 2 weeks, but not me.
It sounds as though you should takeas much time as you can, you only get 1 chance to heal from this properly. We may not have had control as to why we are having this surgery, but she should certainly get to control our recovery.
So I say AMEN SISTER....Good Luck
Unread 08-14-2012, 05:07 PM

I had my surgery yesterday. I had it via DiVinci and then they removed my uterus vaginally so I have a few little scars on my tummy and lots of internal stitches. Even though the doctor's office filled out my initial FMLA paperwork stating I'd be off 2 to 4 weeks, my surgeon reiterated again yesterday he's thinking more like 4-6. And he knows I have a desk job, although it's a very high mental stress desk job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2012, 05:19 PM

I had a vaginal hysterectomy and there is absolutely no way that I would have been able to go back to work at 2 weeks, especially not a demanding job like yours. I had a 10 lb weight restriction, if yours is the same I don't see how you would be able to care for your patients. Also I ws restricted from pushing anything, how would you push your med cart? If I were you I would take the full 6 weeks. Enjoy your thanksgiving ;-).
Unread 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM

Take the six weeks I am 7 weeks tomorrow and I am finally starting to feel normal. You could really hurt yourself lifting stuff and I have read where other women started to do too much to soon and ended up in the ER with lots of blood! You don't want your stitches to come out and have long term problems. I really didn't feel that bad after surgery but lifting stuff would make me hurt.
Unread 08-14-2012, 05:42 PM

Be insistent with your dr. There is no need to put yourself at risk if you don't absolutely have to. No way would I make it back early.
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM

I too am a nurse. i work with the elderly most of the time and many of them have dementia which leads to behavioural issues and resistance to care. Earlier this year when trying to reposition a patient i got punched in the face!!!! We both know how heavy nursing work can be. my doc gave me a.note saying i would be off for a minimum of six weeks. A coworkee who also had a hysterectomy was off the same and then light duty for a week before returning. Don't worry about other people who may think you don't need that much time. like they say around here you only have one chance to heal right the first time. You know how heavy the work can be. Take the time to nurse yourself. What would you tell a patient in the same situation? Do what you need to do to be well. Any doc who would send you back to the floor after two weeks does not know what a.nurse truly does and how back breaking it can be!!!!! Be well and hugs!!!!
Unread 08-14-2012, 10:10 PM

The bad thing is that feeling was initially from the doctor... of coarse he is a man that doesn't have a uterus so I suppose I should take the theory my mil taught me when thinking of doctors at work... so what if I make another man in white mad. I'm glad to hear from you gals I just wasn't seeing any way that I was going to make it back in 2 weeks. They just acted like that was the normal.
Unread 08-14-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirequeen View Post
Any doc who would send you back to the floor after two weeks does not know what a.nurse truly does and how back breaking it can be!!!!! Be well and hugs!!!!
Thats what I thought too...but when other women started talking that way just made me second guess and think I was being a wimp.
Unread 08-14-2012, 10:15 PM

I'm a back office medical assistant(I run all the patients, as well as draw their blood, stuff like that). Doc said 4 weeks. You need to take care of you!! You don't get a do-over, so take the time you need.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register